CIP 7.0 Update - Page 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: BMW CIP 7.0 update
I have the 7.0 update and noticed an overall improvement 93 42.47%
I have the 7.0 update and noticed little or no change 16 7.31%
I have the 7.0 update, improved low speed but seemed to reduce full throttle performance 12 5.48%
I have the 7.0 update and still have low speed problems 8 3.65%
I am going to wait and see how others fare with the update before I get it installed 57 26.03%
I see no need to install the update - the bike runs fine 33 15.07%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:10 pm
Veteran

Thanks for the details Randy. I'm going to hang in there with 6.0 until some issue comes up.

For others benefit, my dealer, BMW Daytona doesn't seem to have any misgivings about performing the upgrade. I was told that when I want it, just bring it in.

Regards

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:35 am
Addict

I actually immediately thought that after going from 6.0 to 7.0 that my engine braking had returned,not quite to 5.0 levels but a vast improvement...took a few minutes for me to stop reaching for the front brake.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:57 am
Just saying hey

7.0 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
For those of you who have considered or have installed the CIP 7.0 update for the K1200S, K1200R or new K1200GT (K4x series) I have attached a poll.
After compaints about stalling and no defaults being found, my dealer contacted me about 7.0 update. After update, feels like a different bike, no more stalling and smoother takeoff.
Thank you Hermy's BMW of Port Clinton, Pa. Bike is 06 K12S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:54 am
Addict

Got the update yesterday as "warranty" work. The dealer won't do it unless you have a complaint, so I complained.

I do notice a difference, but had gotten pretty good about driving around/adapting to the bucking bronco/fueling issue, so I can't tell so much of difference yet. The issue seemed to be much worse when the bike was hot, so I'll see over the next few days about it.

I'm most happy that my damn horn might work when I want it too now. It shut off a lot and I think I heard this will fix it!!!

It definitely feels smoother, but I can't rave about it yet...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 5:42 pm

I have to be honest, at first I thought it solved 90% of my problems, but now 1000 miles into the upgrade, I'm questioning whether or not the dealer even did the upgrade as they said. I rode another members '05 with no software update and a full aftermarket exhaust and it didnt have any of the throttle issues that mine has. Nor did it have any backfiring at all.
I think mine is a little better after the 7.0 upgrade but it is still far from perfect. The acceleration 'seems' to be more linear, but the idle still hunts and races and sounds like crap and I can make it backfire loud enough for the neighbors to call 911 thinking somebody got shot.
In the big scheme of things, its little stuff and I still enjoy the bike alot, it justs seems like it should be such an easy thing for BMW to fix.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:41 am
Addict

Ditto for me...maybe something with the 05 models that we don't know about?

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 9:35 am

Exclamation

I was just about to post about this.

I must say I though the bike was better immediately after the update than it is now, a few hundred miles later.

But you know, after the update, I was so relieved that maybe my mind simply did the rest. The bike was MUCH better, but probably not as perfect as I'd like to have thought.

Now reality sets in and I realise that it is a bike far less suited to trailing along in a traffic queue than blazing along a fast smooth road.

It's a sports bike motor, with no fly wheel.

Just look at the sports bike guys under similar circumstances.

So, for UK traffic conditions, the concept is flawed.

No doubt they'll do future updates....BUT THE THROTLE is attached to a very over direct 150hp.

Maybe a device within the throttle linkage that had the effect of giving a little elaticity to the throttle action would help.

MY QUESTION IS: ANYONE ELSE STARTED TO THINK THEIR UPDATE IS REVERTING?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Thumbs up More Predictable, but Still Stumbling... Predictably...

After only 50 miles on the 7.0 "upgrade", I now have a more predictable stumble at the 2,700 to 3,100 rpm range, most notably while in 2nd gear at or around 30 mph (48 kph for all you sui-side drivers out there). The fix is just to pull in the clutch lever and let out smoothly again and again and again and... Until you don't have to do 30 mph anymore.

BUT - there are certain conditions within which this stumbling occurs. Those conditions are:
1.) Heat (the internal fan is on)
2.) Trying to maintain at or near 30 mph.
3.) Usually occurs while decelerating to 30 mph from about 40 mph (in traffic) and then trying to maintain 30 mph again as the light turns green, the other cages start to move, etc...

It should be noted that I also have the full Remus exhaust system and race-flow air filters, which only amplify these conditions due to the increase in "performance".

On the lighter side, during other phases of operation, the on/off of the throttle is much more pleasant. To the point that I don't have to worry about the lash of acceleration when making a right-hander around my favorite corner. I like that!

So overall, it was an improvement, but there is still the stumbling. It's just, well, predictable!
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:03 pm
Enthusiast

Version 7.1?

I was at my dealer today and he told me that BMW has already released an update to 7.0.
I'm not sure what the update is for but, the dealers have to download it from the BMW web site, copy it to a flash drive, and upload it into their maintenance computer. With the update it becomes 7.1.

I don't like this feeling. The feeling that our bikes have become rolling home computers that consistently need to have updates to the software in an effort to one day "get it right." Uggg. It's as if this thing runs on MicroSoft Windows.

The other rumor is that they can only update the bikes computer a certain number of times (something like 12) before they have to replace the computer.

Hummmm? So, since my dealer was unable to get 7.0 loaded when I had it in for that, and I'm still living with the 6.0, I wonder what the patch to 7.0 is for? Does 7.1 have any updates for the KS?

I don't know. At least I got new tires and they work as advertised

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:25 pm
JCW
contributor

Where did I read it? The new update was just to make it compatible with certain ecus that wouldn't accept 7.0. So, your's might be able to be updated now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode