BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Buell or ducati or k1200s

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  bbenn75820 
#1 ·
after a year of physical therapy, I can ride again! (ice climbing accident) I need something to replace the k1200rs I sold when I thought I would never ride again. The k1200rs was a wonderful bike but I want something a little more peppy and easier to toss around. I dont plan to go on 6 hour rides anymore and I dont need to haul the tents and gear.

The ducati monster is a good looking bike but I get mixed reviews on its reliability or more correctly, they need a tune up after every ride. The buell firebolt seems to be very similar to the monster for less cash. Buell is a snazzy harley so once again I question reliability. I have never ridden a v-twin bike but I have been to plenty of buell rallies and I see how fun the low end torque is. I have also seen parts fall off of brand new buells on a regular basis.

Then there is the k1200s. Much more expensive but Im guessing the power band and ride will be similar to the k1200rs only more nimble and more power. Its more expensive and the reviews I read on this site suggest that it is not as rock solid as my k1200rs was.

SO.......... opinions on these three bikes? Pros and cons? reliable not reliable. I would probably buy a 2 year old bike with low miles and shoot for the 1000+-cc mark not the 600's.

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Have ridden a buddy's Buell and I have to say it's a little weird. It's kind of hard to explain but it feels like your riding on the front of the bike, sort of like there's nothing in front of you. Like I said, it's kind of hard to explain. Buddy love's it and he has had zero problems.

The monster I've heard is a little bit of a maintains queen but an overall good bike. I have personally not ridden one so I can't tell you how it feels.

As for the KS, if your not looking to ride for hours on end, I'd say go for the KR (little prejudice) because it is an absolute blast. Mine has had a few issues with the recalls and programming but I love my bike. Have ridden a KS and it is nice, just lean a little to far forward for my tastes.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
hey super thanks! That is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for. I actually thought the buell riding position was a bit odd when I sat on one.

Heh, one would think the R would be in that mix over the KS but Im a bigger fan of the ks in the BMW line up.

#4 ·
Have you riden a KR? I personally like the 'naked' look as well as the riding position. Give it a try if you get a chance, you never know, it might change your mind.

#5 ·
i've ridden all three type and have to say I like the the K1200S & R much better. Buell is fun, but if you check their forums, you'll see that their quality control is horrendous. I wouldnt put down any money on one. The Monster is fun and rides well but is less refined than the K1200. Take the complaints on the K1200 with a grain of salt. For every rider complaining on this site, there are probably 20 riders that have no complaints. BMW guys love to bitch about this or that (engine mapping s/w has been the main complaint by far) but few actually trade in for competing brands and wind up riding countless thousands of miles without major breakdowns. My guess is that a 1 year old K1200 can be bought for a little more than what you'd pay for a new Buell or Duc. Welcome back!

#6 · (Edited)
Pound for pound..Ducati is way more expensive than a BMW. Also...the valves on a Ducati are made from spaghetti and need constant adjustment....overpriced italian trash if you ask me(and no one ever does). If you want a new bike...sport touring...I would honestly look at a Honda Interceptor. Save the money and spend it on your girl.

#7 ·
I owned a Duc (94 model) and loved that motor. I'm starting to believe that the people who bitch about valve adjustments on ducs have never owned one. Don't let the valve adjustment complaints on a Duc keep you from considering one.

Having said that, I love my KR and I love my Vstrom. Two decidedly different bikes for different types of riding. IMHO a rider needs more than 1 bike, 2 is a minimum.

Wish I hadn't sold my Duc, that was a sweet machine. Good luck on deciding on the perfect bike for yourself. That's half the fun! :ricky

#10 ·
Ok Ok

This is supposed to give the guy some good insights and not trash bikes. Althought TheMechanic is DEAD ON on Aprilias and Duc LOL!!!!.

Ok so a bit less trashy advice. I am an LT rider, I also used to have an RS (03 18K miles) when the RS was sold the I wanted something powerfull, less complicated than the old K motor, lighter and more nimble I started looking around, here are the bikes I considered and tested.

Buell XV12S (The strangest riding position I have ever been on, noisy, clanky, everything was clanky).

Duc Monster (Great Bike, lots of grunt, Ducs are like old 2 cycle Yamahas they require CONSTANT messing with, I don't think their valves are made out of spagetthi, I think they are made out of RICE PAPER... LOL) I HATE chain maintenance

K1200R (Loved the bike, the looks, the power, the nice BMW confort touches that we BMW owners are use to. Miss the cruise Control, got spoiled by my LT and RS). Unfortunately while test riding the R I caught a downpour and my legs and shoes were soaked in 10 seconds, before my chest and back. So the lack of a fairing kind of turned me off, oh yeah the SO did not care for all the "exposed mechanics" as she called.

Triumph Speed Triple (Nice Bike I cannot get used to those double headlights the Hinkley boys like to use, it is very UGLY. I HATE chain maintenance

Triumph Sprint ST. (Super Nice bike, was actually second place on my list, saddle bags and Top Trunk were going to come in free with the price of the bike, some special Triumph was or still is running. I did not like the heat that it comes from the bike in stop light around your legs, by the time I returned from my test drive the "omelet was ready" LOL. I HATE chain maintenance

Busa. Unconfortable, terrible fit and finish, ugly colors this year, what happen with the nice blue and white or black and red?. Did I mentioned before I HATE chain maintenance.

Finally the bike I bought the K1200S. Granite Gray, BMW Sport Saddle Bags. ESA, Trip Computer, I absolutely love this bike, the riding position is a bit more sporty than the RS was BUT, here is the BUT, the RS had a long reach for the bars making it hard to straighten your back, the S allows you to ride like a crotch rocket and or straight your back and get lots of the weight off your writst. I LOVE IT. The seat is very good, I am considering a touring windscreen since I am 6.1 I am getting BUGs BLAST on my helmet. The power is plain and simple STUPID FAST.

Gripes: Yeah I have two:

Bike HATES to be in bumper to bumper traffic and slow moving lines bike likes to be rev hard.

Clunkiness when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I have been told it will get better, with 1500 miles on mine it has NOT, and its plain and simple embarrasing sometimes all the noise it makes when shift.

My 5 cents.

#12 ·
Atldb

oh yeah the SO did not care for all the "exposed mechanics" as she called.
It's called NAKED!!!! As far as getting wet during the rain....once the water hits the crack of your butt...your not getting any wetter!

The KS is nice, but I guess your just a little to refind to be riding a hooligan.

#13 ·
It wasn't that long ago I had the same opinion of Ducati products that many folks responding to this thread have voiced. Beautiful to look at, but not much in the reliability department, and plagued with exorbitant maintenance costs. However, I have come full circle and through plenty of research and careful examination, I can honestly say I was wrong.......waay wrong.

Coming from both BMW and Ducati ownership. I can personallly attest that the new generation of Ducati's are flawless performers and, in fact, are cheaper to maintain than the current generation of BMW's. The Monster is rolling artwork. It is beautifully constructed and will give you plenty of grin.....mile by mile........and, if attention is what you want, folks will step around everything else in the parking lot to admire the Duc. Certainly, that would be my choice of the bikes you are considering.

The reality is, Ducatis', like any other motorcycle on the market, from time to time break and/or some have maintenance issues come up. Again, you will find that no matter what you purchase. Just go to any motorcycle specific forum and see for yourself. But anyone who rakes on and on about how "expensive" Ducati's are to maintain or about their reliablity are suspect, at best. Most likely they have never owned one and base their opinion on sheer misinformation. They usually relate what they have "heard," or about the "friend who had one."

All of the motorcyles you have mentioned are certainly worthy of consideration, but I implore you to take a close look at the Ducati. Talk to current owners. Go to the dealership and closely examine the bike. Test ride one if given the opportunity. I would hate to see you miss out on the ride of your life. Once bitten, you will never be the same.

Good luck my friend,

OkeefenokeeJoe
2004 BMW KGT
2005 Ducati Multistrada

#14 ·
http://buell.com/en_us/bikes/firebolt/xb12r/specs.asp

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=k1200s

I cannot speak Italian but look at the specs on the BMW and the Buell. The BMW is a tad long but comfortable. The Buell wheelbase is almost 10 full inches shorter. I agree with the comment that you sit on the front end of the bike. It is a small chassis bike with a cobby 1200 V-twin powerplant just wanting to get eaten up by 600's in the turns and 1200's on the straights. It's a sexy bike and stops there.

#15 ·
OkeefenokeeJoe said:
The new generation of Ducati's are flawless performers and, in fact, are cheaper to maintain than the current generation of BMW's.

This is what I have heard as well. What year did the "new" generation start?

There are no BMW or Ducati dealerships near me so taking a bike in for sevice is a major undertaking. Min 3 hours one way.

I have ruled out the buell at this point unless I find one for free basically :D

#16 ·
New generation of Ducati's? Perhaps that was a bad choice of words; Nevertheless, I would stick to 2003 model years or newer. that's not to say there aren't great older model Duc's. But if you already have mixed feeling about a Ducati purchase, the most recent models are great bikes. By the way, next year should be a banner year for Ducati. Rumor has it they have some great new products that will set a new standard for motorcycling enjoyment. It should be very exciting.

I have to give both BMW and Ducati for being forward thinking and innovative.

By the way, although there are no Ducati dealers anywhere close to my home, I am not so sure there aren't MORE Ducati dealerships in the US than BMW dealerships. Again, I could be wrong on that issue, but it seems Ducati dealerships are becoming more abundant and BMW dealerships are thinning out. Go figure. The Ducati dealer from whom I purchased my most recent bike, Touring Sport of Greenville (SC) is about 265 miles away.

OkeefenokeeJoe

#17 ·
Bike choices

I love my K12S. It has been everything I had hoped it would be. It's 550lbs of pure fun. Smooth, fast, stable, and from the comments it gets, prtty darn sexy. All day comfy. Luggage holds alot of stuff for road trips. Great one up tourer.
If you are looking for something sporty that you don't need to take cross country, think about a R1200S. Lighter than the K. Excellent suspension. Fast. Typical beemer maintence load. The reviews I've seen have been positive.
Good luck with your choice.

#18 ·
Another view point on the Duc

This is one of those, "I have a friend" so some may choose to discount it.
To add some credibility to this post I'll say that for most of a 2,800 mile western tour, I have either ridden behind his ST4s or took the lead with my KS. I have had numerous meals with this guy and he and his wife have been welcome guests in my home during his other tours. I have received a 250 word email detailing his frustration with his ten-month old bike which now has 23,000 miles. The duc has spent nearly a month in the shop going through test after test searching for a solution to its electrical problems. A new alternator, new battery and a new ECU have been installed... now he is waiting on a new dash to arrive from the factory. Part of his frustration is that there is NO INVENTORY in the US. Each "solution" has extended waiting time. Ducati is covering the cost under warranty, but he was hit for a $1,800 twelve-thousand mile check (invoice did include tires). Through all of this - he loves this bike. Uses it as a daily commuter and really hopes that he can afford to keep it. It is a special bike - he receives lots of attention. On the western states tour, a enjoyable moment was in the parking lot of Bryce Canyon where we were surrounded by a bus load of Europeans (half from Italy and the other half from Germany) - each shouting their opinions of the "best bike in the world".

#19 ·
Pay no attention to the Duc bashers you won't find a better handling bike out there.
Except maybe the MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini and of course you'd need a money tree growing in your backyard.
I found Duc maintenance worries were not much different than other bikes.
6,000 mile '01 Kaw (ZG100) service and valve adjustment = $240
6,000 mile '02 Duc (900ssie) service and valve adjustment =$ 310
and that included new cam belts and we all know the service costs of the Beemers.
I never had any issue with my Duc other then I can no longer ride it and had to sell it. Knee injury forced the sale or I'd still have it today. I found the Monster riding position isn't a whole lot more comfortable though the ST's are sweet.
The K1200S is definitely the best riding position (more leg room and better foot angle) of the three, for me anyway. The low speed handling is about equal to the Duc but the K has considerably more weight but much more power too. That said I went to a used '03 K1200GT as it was the best fit for my bad knee and allows me and the wife all day comfort rides and with a son in college was the best treatment on my wallet. The new K1200GT was a great fit as well but I don't care for the new styling. Your best bet is to try them all out and see what fits you, hopefully we've narrowed it down some for you.

#22 ·
keynote22 said:
SO.......... opinions on these three bikes? Pros and cons? reliable not reliable. I would probably buy a 2 year old bike with low miles and shoot for the 1000+-cc mark not the 600's.
Ducati -- the suspension and handling are great! Anything eletrical is crap. Tiny headlight, tiny battery, etc. Do be prepared for a lot of shop time. Seriously. IMO the price/reward ratio on Ducs is way out of whack.

Buell -- Frankenbike. Mismatched engine, drivetrain, frame. Just funky and not "excellent" at anything. Not sure why anyone would buy a Buell -- unless your main concern is being able to tool around Sturgis or your local HD bar without feeling out of the club!

K1200S -- you had a K12RS, so you know BMW's. Whether its worth the price is up to you -- I think there are better sporty bikes out there for the money; but at least you get some cool BMW engineering and a bike that has a fighting chance of going 50,000 miles! You mentioned looking for a more nimble replacement to your K12RS -- the 1200 engine in the S, by definition, means the bike is heavy -- which means less nimble. 1200cc's is a LOT of engine. If nimble is what you're after you might be better served broadening your search to a smaller engine displacement.

Being said, a european brand that has caught my attention of late is Triumph. The Speed Triple is baddass for the price (retails in the $9k range new). You can pickup a late model used ST for about $5000 and the guys I know that own them swear by the reliability and quality.

The ST is comparable to the K12S in terms of being "sporty" -- the ST is a little more sport than the S. But, earlier model years have a much more "sport touring" feel (like the K12RS) -- just lighter and easier to flick around the corners.

Give a search for a used 2002-2003-ish model. I think those years look cool as hell -- and they are quite capable with the 955 engine! But, also drop by your local Trimph dealer and see the 2005/2006 Speed Triple in person. It's a pretty sweet ride and is put together with some great parts!

My $0.02

Howard

The 2006:

And, a 2003:

#24 ·
Alternatives to consider

Welcome back to the riding community - glad to hear you're not totally cage-bound any more. Based on your situation, and bike attributes you're looking for, you may want to consider these bikes as candidates:
- BMW R1100S (lighter, more flickable than the mighty K, good acceleration, same reliability level as your previous bike, sorta naked) or it's new replacement - the R1200S.
- Moto Guzzi Griso. Don't know much about reliability, but it sounds intriguing and in the class you're looking at. Dealer network may be a little slim. Couple friends have had very good experience with Guzzi's.
- Buell XB12X Ulysses - know one guy who raves about it. Supposedly the best Buell yet with more standard attributes than the other models. Longer wheelbase, normal riding position, etc.
- Aprillia Tuono - above attributes and considerations listed in previous thread.
- KTM 950 Adventure - A bit on the fringe of the class you're looking at, but they're supposed to be a kick in the pants to ride. Reliability may be an issue.
- Triumph Daytona 675 (If you're looking for a true sport bike for a couple hours, rave reviews, plenty of hp, and supposed to be fairly roomy for it's class - just not a 1,000 cc machine) - not as much a hooligan as the Speed Triple.
- Later version of a Honda VFR (Great bike and almost up to par with today's bikes, but I'm assuming you're not looking for a full fairing rice burner based on your initial choices. Great deals to be had.)

Good luck on your new bike purchase, and welcome back to the two wheel community.

#25 ·
k12s vs Ducati vs HD

:clap: i have to say your picks are really interesting and insightful. i have owned 2 Ducatis-ST4,ST4s, and 2 BMW-a k12s, and K12GT. your impressions on the Ducati are accurate form my experience except if you are doing "day rides" you won't be racking up the miles as you would on the highway touring. The newer Duactis are more reliable than ever and are tremendous fun for those afternoon "flights"- even a weekend trip. i do not know the HD stable anymore-- that leaves the K12s- absolutely the king of very fast sport bikes- it is not quite as fast as a Hyabusa, or the Yamaha,Kawasaki, or Suzuki, but pretty darn close. but ir is more comfortable, easier maintained, and classier. i always have thought those Japanese "rockets" were for the herd - same with HD- hell everyone owns one!!! that's why if you can afford it , get the K12s 2006- and rock on, if money is a contraint - get the monster Ducati- 998- Life is to be enjoyed not endured....
outlander123

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.