BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K12RS - Fork seal question...

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JMc 
#1 ·
I noticed my right front fork was oozing oil -- I just had the bike in for the 12K service -- not sure if they do any maintenance on the forks.

Is there a way I can test/check myself if this was just a matter of excess oil coming out -- or if I blew a fork seal?

I'm not having any noticable change in handling -- however, the oil started to come out when I was loaded up with my gear for the Paonia rally -- so I wonder if the extra weight caused a seal failure?

I cranked up the preload on my front spring and since then no more oil has come out - but I'm not sure if that means the fork has expelled all the oil or what?

Suggestions? I'd like to avoid bringing the bike into the shop if there's a relatively simple check I can do myself.

Howard

#7 ·
Very easy fix (2-man job)...drain old oil out through the bottom tube and tighten back up...then, remove grip assembly...loosen tree clamps, remove fork cap, then slide the tube up through the tree. Use a seal puller (carefully) to pull seal. Replace with new one (make sure you check the old seal to properly insert the new one). Put 1/2 liter of fork oil, button it all up, and away you go. Better instructions somewhere on the network, goodluck.
JMc

#8 ·
JMc said:
Very easy fix (2-man job)...drain old oil out through the bottom tube and tighten back up...then, remove grip assembly...loosen tree clamps, remove fork cap, then slide the tube up through the tree. Use a seal puller (carefully) to pull seal. Replace with new one (make sure you check the old seal to properly insert the new one). Put 1/2 liter of fork oil, button it all up, and away you go. Better instructions somewhere on the network, goodluck.
JMc
JMc where is the drain plug in the bottom tube....went out to check but couldnt find it....any help?...thanks want to do mine just to get any condensation or leak by out of there...again thanks :ricky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.