Headlight Aiming Instructions, please - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Headlight Aiming Instructions, please

I know that this was discussed on the old forum, but with all of the archiving, etc..., I haven't been able to find an archived thread that's a step-by-step guide to headlight aiming for the K1200S.

I know that it's fairly simple. Can anyone out there please provide a guide to aiming the headlights? The reason that I ask is because I just installed 3 of the PIAA Extreme White Plus 55W=110W H7's, and that don't seem THAT MUCH brighter. That's got me wondering if maybe my bike's headlight aim is off, because I've heard that they don't necessarily come from the factory/dealership with the headlight aimed properly.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 9:32 pm

Sorry I can't tell you how to aim your headlight. You are correct that the aim from the factory can be way off; mine was. The dealer pulled my bike into the shop, closed the door and aimed the headlight at a tape mark on the door. The light was aimed at the floor! He quickly adjusted it in about 30 sec. It can't be hard, but I wasn't watching how he did it.

Ken
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 9:45 pm
Veteran

As far as the way to adjust the headlights, that's in the owners manual. As far parameters of headlight adjustment I found many on the internet here's one : http://www.conceptual.net.au/~rick/p...ts/aiming.html

Of course what I do is ride the bike at night and adjust on the low beam only ( the high will be correct if the low is) so that I like the way it looks. Or so that it replicates the same basic coverage that I get from my car which has self leveling HID's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 5:33 am

Headlight Aiming

Beam is adjusted with the white plastic nut located where the lever for headlight adjustment for heavy loads is. I can't remember the exact MM size but it is easy to spot. I used a trial and error method to adjust by riding at night and adjusting as necessary. This bike has the best headlights of any that I've ever owned.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 7:19 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
As far as the way to adjust the headlights, that's in the owners manual. As far parameters of headlight adjustment I found many on the internet here's one : http://www.conceptual.net.au/~rick/p...ts/aiming.html

Of course what I do is ride the bike at night and adjust on the low beam only ( the high will be correct if the low is) so that I like the way it looks. Or so that it replicates the same basic coverage that I get from my car which has self leveling HID's
I looked last night at mine and for adjustments for load it tells you to flip the lever, for the basic adjustment it refers you to your dealer.
But I figure it is the nut in the center of the load adjustment lever, think counterclockwise is up and clockwise is down but not sure as I havent adjusted mine yet. need to go out and ride it at night with a socket as did my first night time ride the other night and it was way low, was out running the low beam at 40 mph and the high beam at 60, really made for a nerve racking ride thru Texas deer country, would think the dealers or factory could get that right on set up.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 9:18 am
"Hey Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb
I looked last night at mine and for adjustments for load it tells you to flip the lever, for the basic adjustment it refers you to your dealer.
But I figure it is the nut in the center of the load adjustment lever, think counterclockwise is up and clockwise is down but not sure as I havent adjusted mine yet. need to go out and ride it at night with a socket as did my first night time ride the other night and it was way low, was out running the low beam at 40 mph and the high beam at 60, really made for a nerve racking ride thru Texas deer country, would think the dealers or factory could get that right on set up.
Thread theft - I'll PM myself. Check out this deer story!

p.s. The center nut adjust the vertical. The lever is a "quick" adjustment for two-up and loaded. There should be another nut on the opposite side for horizontal. I adjusted mine so that the beam cutoff is just barely below the average cars trunk. Sorry, Miata and Z owners.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:29 am

• Weight of rider on bike
  • Flat surface
  • 10 meters from a wall/Garage-door
  • adjust light to touch top at 90centimeters from ground up.
The left 'white-nut' is for height adjustment. Use a wrench and you could do this yourself if you have measured and 'chalked' wall before you start.
PS!...due Karlb's post below, it may have a black color, but white surround...and its the left anyhow

Good Luck

Last edited by LOCUS; Nov 5th, 2005 at 3:43 am. Reason: due incomplete instruction
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCUS
  • Weight of rider on bike
  • Flat surface
  • 10 meters from a wall/Garage-door
  • adjust light to touch top at 90centimeters from ground up.
The left 'white-nut' is for height adjustment. Use a wrench and you could do this yourself if you have measured and 'chalked' wall before you start.

Good Luck
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Locus.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 5:19 pm
Enthusiast

funny unless I am just not looking in the right place I have a white flip lever for load height adjustment with a black nut in the center of it on the left under the tach. and on the right under the info screen area I have a black adjustment nut. I do not see a white nut anywhere.
But the Black nut in the center of the white load adjusment flip lever adjusts the height so this is what I am adjusting to set beam height.

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 8:09 pm

Don't forget to be sitting on your bike as you check!

I like to adjust in a residential area or a parking area if it's dark. Cars are parked all around and can eyeball how far down the road it shows.

I like to keep it up with reason so can see better going around corners since the headlights don't turn with the "forks".

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode