K1200S or wait for GT ??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

K1200S or wait for GT ???

After spending much time researching, riding and just hanging around the K1200S, I'm sold on the bike. So what's the dilemma you ask?

There is no question that of all the bikes BMW currently has available, the K12S scores the most points for me. However, the new K12GT is on the horizon and I find myself in the same situation I was in back in June of 2004. At that time I was considering a "flying brick" K1200GT and the new R1200GS knowing that other new bikes were coming soon. However, based on what was currently available, the R1200GS scored the most points with me and so I purchased it.

One year later, BMW releases several new or updated models. The K1200S was the first new bike to hit the US followed closely by the R12RT and ST. I liked them all but it was the K1200S that had me saying to myself, "I should have waited." Never the less, I remained optimistic and reminded myself; If I had waited, I wouldn't have had so many good times on the awesome R12GS.

This time it's a little different. I have to sell the GS to afford the KS. If I act soon, I may receive the best resale dollar for my GS I'm likely to ever get. Additionally, I've found a new 05 K1200S (with ESA and all) available that I can get at a very nice discount (I think 10% off the MSRP). If there were not a new K1200GT coming out soon, this would be a "no brainier" for me. Buy KS, sell GS, enjoy!

Understanding that there are aspects of the new R1200RT that also make it appealing to me, I can't help thinking, "if they just get the GT right this time, it can be the perfect blend of K12S and R12RT (say: 75%S and 25%RT). That would be a real contender to the KS for me. Based upon rumors, BMW may have done it right this time and in a couple of months, we should know. In a couple of months however, the GS will be worth less money, and the discounted 05KS will be gone.

I guess I could look at it this way. If I wait, I may find a few things I prefer in the new GT over the KS. But will it be worth the increased cost? It will definitely cost more money to wait. The 06 KS will be more than the 05 is now and the new GT will most likely be priced quite high. So again I ask myself, should I wait? Will the new GT be so much more appealing than the KS that even if it's costs me an additional 4000 bucks, I'll think it's worth it? Maybe I've already answered my own question??????
What's your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Wait at least 10 days and see if the new GT is introduced at Milan as some rumors say it will be. There are members on this board that will be there, plus the press, so, there should be plenty of info IF it is introduced then.

After 10 days, you will either be able to make a more informed decison OR make a seat-of-the-pants decision that you will have to live with for a while. Only you can answer how you are going to use the bike. If it is more sports oriented, do the discounted '05 S now. If it is more sport touring, wait for the GT.

Just my $.02!

Randy
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Wait

You might consider that IF the GT turns out to be just what you wanted, then you might become unsatisfied with your discounted K12S.

The money savings won't console your longing for the bike you wish you had.

Keep a high visual horizon,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Veteran

What is it about the new GT that's making you wait for it, ergo's, luggage, options?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Good points everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
What is it about the new GT that's making you wait for it, ergo's, luggage, options?
Not sure. From my point of view, the only thing the GT could do to improve upon the S is add a few things that make it better for trips. Basically, leave the KS as is and add the following:

- Factory cruise control.
- Slightly more relaxed ergos. Slightly!
- Better luggage. (a "little" more room and water proof would be nice)
- A little more range. (anything over 200 miles on average per tank full)

- Possibly better passenger comfort. (although, I don't have a passenger often)
- Heated seat and adjustable wind-screen may be nice to have but not all that important to me so far.

- And of course, I'm curious as to what the GT will look like. Not that I think it will look better than the S. Just different. I'd say the KS is probably the sexiest bike BMW is building right now.

As I've said earlier, I love the KS. I'm just curious about the GT and it raises some questions about the timing for me right now.

No matter what, I know I won't be regretful. I can always focus on the positives of the choices I make. What ever I choose, In my mind, as long as it's a new K-bike, I'll win either way. Only question may be "how much did it cost me to win?" But a few beers will put out that fire
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 4:27 pm

I've found the best way to decide is to be honest about how you ride and get a bike that suits the purpose. If you rarely ride with a passenger, then don't worry about passenger comfort. If you plan on riding up to 500 miles a day, take weeklong trips maybe once a year. Ride on pavement all the time, and no real extreme backroads... Get the S. I have an RS and this is how I ride. If I had a GT, it would weigh more, be slower.. Probably the same with the new GT. If your primary purpose is not to take longer trips two up, get the S.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 5:55 pm
BCC

I was in a similar situation. I sold my 02 KRS to get an 05 12GS because I didn't want to wait for the S. I'm glad I did. The GS allowed me to experience gravel & dirt riding I'd never done before.

When the S came out I started looking.

I traded my GS in on a '06 S.

I liked the ergo's on the KRS, I love them on the S. Perhaps slightly more aggressive, but not much. If you find the KS at all uncomfortable, it probably makes sense to wait to see what the GT looks like.

Me? I knew I wanted more of a sportbike that can also tour. The S is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. My wife has her own bike and I probably don't put more than 1,000 miles/yr on with a passenger. No brainer.

Reread your post. You said you love the S. But you wonder if the GT might be more practical. For what it's worth, unless your are in the Iron Butt or are using the bike as a work tool, go with what you lust for. The hell with practicality. Buying a bike 'cause it is practical means a trade in the near future.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
When the S came out I started looking. I traded my GS in on a '06 S.
Reread your post. You said you love the S. But you wonder if the GT might be more practical. For what it's worth, unless your are in the Iron Butt or are using the bike as a work tool, go with what you lust for. The hell with practicality. Buying a bike 'cause it is practical means a trade in the near future.
Did I say "more practical"..... Hummmm???,.....doesn't sound like me
I'm sure I don't get into motorcycles because it's the practical thing to do. Generally speaking, I'm into motorcycles for the sheer enjoyment of the ride. More specifically, I'm into BMW motorcycles for several reasons but two stand out; The exceptional machines they build and the exceptional people I've met, that make up the community.

Motorcycles are not the practical thing for me. As I have 3 children, the practical thing would be my boring car. I hardly use my bike to commute and I haven't been doing any long distance travel. Usually not more than a few hundred miles from home. I do get in a couple of thousand mile weekends each year but mostly, I ride for fun on the weekends. A couple hundred miles over the highways and through the mountains, sweepers, twisties and desert roads of sunny southern California. Occasionally, I'll commute to work for the hell of it or breeze up the slab to get to some unexplored mountain or desert roads. Nothing practical in any of that. It's all about fun and adventure.

I figured there would be no easy answer to my original question (KS now or wait for GT ?). Even after providing the details, it still comes down to ones personal choice. Still, the topic does spark good dialog which hopefully helps on some level.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 6:54 pm
BCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam

From my point of view, the only thing the GT could do to improve upon the S is add a few things that make it better for trips. Basically, leave the KS as is and add the following:

- Factory cruise control.
- Slightly more relaxed ergos. Slightly!
- Better luggage. (a "little" more room and water proof would be nice)
- A little more range. (anything over 200 miles on average per tank full)

- Possibly better passenger comfort. (although, I don't have a passenger often)
- Heated seat and adjustable wind-screen may be nice to have but not all that important to me so far.

- I'd say the KS is probably the sexiest bike BMW is building right now.

As I've said earlier, I love the KS.
Yer right, ya didn't say practical....but that's what I interpreted. My bad. I'm sure either will be a fine choice.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 8:09 pm

What do you want from your bike?

That's the question I asked myself. I knew I wanted the KS and was prepared to wait for it (past the chocolate cam episode). I had intended holding onto my K100RS as I thought it would do some things the KS would not.

The KS arrived and I have used it for short trips, long tours, all sorts of weather and all sorts of roads... I have given the K100RS to my son and since October have used the KS for everything.

What do you want from your bike? I know what I want... and the KS fills every aspect. If the KS suits you, then go for it... I have no regrets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode