ECU Rear Light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2007, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

ECU Rear Light

Does anyone know BMW's part number for the European Spec. K1200S's rear light? It's the OEM rear light with a clear lens underneath that acts as an integrated plate light.

Separate Plate Light:

In Canada, K1200S's and R's are fitted with a rear light that has the plate lens blacked out. Instead of an integrated plate light, our bikes are fitted with a separate plate light mounted to a (US) License Plate Holder attached to the tail. I believe it's the same setup in the USA.

Identical Part Numbers:

BMW Canada lists two part numbers for the rear light: the Canada or "ECU" Spec. as 7678803 and the USA Spec. as 7680762. BMW Canada lists the "ECU" Spec. part number 7678803 as the light fitted to bikes in Canada. In Canada, "ECU" Spec. does not mean European Spec.

Online Parts Fiche:

The online parts fiche of Max BMW Motorcycles lists the US Spec. light as part number63217680762. RealOEM.COM's parts fiche lists parts for both European and USA Spec. bikes: European spec. use part number 63217678803, and USA spec. use part number63217680762. Other than the first four digits, the numbers match BMW Canada's numbers. BMW Canada and USA appear to use different numbers for the same part.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Rusty, the Service Manager at John Valk BMW has kindly ordered both part numbers from BMW Canada. And we will see if one is the European spec. light.

My winter project is to eliminate the US Plate Holder completely and mount my Number Plate in the same fashion as the European bikes. I'm currently using Evoluzione cyclesports "License Plate Relocator" but it is not a perfect solution. British Columbia motorcycle plates are larger than the plates used in the USA but smaller than the European plates. I'm hoping that by mounting the plate directly to the tail I've found a more elegant solution.

Regards,

Bruce
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

ECU Rear Light

I've clipped photos of the two versions of the rear light:

The ECU Version with integrated plate light (clear lens):

The USA/ Canadian Version with blacked-out plate lens:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

ECU Rear Plate

I've clipped photos of the custom mount I fabricated from a scrapped engine spoiler.

The custom mount for the BC Number Plate:

The rear tail of my K1200S:

Custom mount attached to the tail:

Another view of the mount:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2007, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

ECU Rear Light

Project complete:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode