BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Another Test Ride of the K12S

4K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Kneedragger 
#1 ·
Others have posted their impressions of test rides, but I thought I would do the same, as I was frankly a bit disappointed... Perhaps I was just tired or maybe it was the route...

In any event, I presently ride an R1150R Rockster, and had taken a brief test ride on the K12S a couple of months ago--at the time I was very impressed... I decided to take it out for an hour today on one of my usual routes ( a bit of freeway, then 60 mph sweepers and finally some 40 mph twisties).

Initial impressions:

1. Bike fits me perfectly. Sporty, but not too extreme. I could imagine riding this all day long. Seat is very comfortable (better than my R1150R). Wind is fine--supportive above 50 mph.

2. Mirrors are great.

3. Salesman explained the controls, but I never did figure out how to change from 1 person, to 1 with luggage, etc. It was on the 1 person with luggage and stayed there during the ride.

3. Bike is FAST--how I would ever use this power I don't know...

4. Corners well!

5. Much of the ride was on farily bumpy pavement. I was underwelmed by how the bike handled this. It seemed better on my earlier test ride. I cycled through comfort, normal and sport, but found little difference. Could the harseness have been a function of the preload being set too firmly? It seemed better on my earlier test ride, but the route was less bumpy.

In sum, I really want to like this bike. Today, however, it seemed too harsh for everyday use ( I commute). It also had less "character" than the boxers, but I could like with that.

Any comments?

Page

See less See more
#2 ·
Logged about 9,000 miles in 7 months, one long tour, 2 track days totaling about 300 miles, some feedback here: the ESA definitely makes a difference, you need a setting of 2 up, "sport", for the twisties. To change settings, engine on, in neutral, hold down the ESA button until you scroll to where you need to be. Can't say that I've tried to drag anything but can tell you I've had it leaned over consistently to where the chicken strip on the rear is pretty much nil. You'll never embarass yourself in the company of ANY bike, in any setting. Damn right it's fast, trust me, you'll use the power all the time! Character? My brother, you pretty much own the road with this bike, not sure how much more character you really need! Try it again!

#3 ·
zombiewolf said:
Logged about 9,000 miles in 7 months, one long tour, 2 track days totaling about 300 miles, some feedback here: the ESA definitely makes a difference, you need a setting of 2 up, "sport", for the twisties. To change settings, engine on, in neutral, hold down the ESA button until you scroll to where you need to be. Can't say that I've tried to drag anything but can tell you I've had it leaned over consistently to where the chicken strip on the rear is pretty much nil. You'll never embarass yourself in the company of ANY bike, in any setting. Damn right it's fast, trust me, you'll use the power all the time! Character? My brother, you pretty much own the road with this bike, not sure how much more character you really need! Try it again!
Got about 1,000miles on my K1200S and I totally agree with the above post.

Been riding since the 70's and this is my 1st BMW. Can't tell you what a pleasure it is to own this bike and all the terrific performance, handling, and workmanship that comes with it.

Bob

#4 ·
Riding the S

Have nearly 6000 miles on mine and closing in on finishing my third set of M1 tires. The S is not the bike to buy for long distance touring, even one up as it just naturally pulls you into the turns on every road you pass

Power, it has that, but even more important, it has extreme speed stability! I ride with a couple younger (in their early 30s compared to my mid 50) gentlemen. One rides a new 2006 GSXR1000 and one rides a 2005 Honda 1000RR. Both bikes scream "crotch rocket."

Nevertheless, on top end, the GSXR will pass both the Honda and the S (in that order) with plently of power left in the Suzuki. However, (and all riders are very experienced in track riding too) neither of the rice bikes hold a candle to the S when it comes to cornering. Whether it is running the twisties and switchbacks or max speed sweepers, the S was unchallenged! The front end of both the GSXR and the RR were chattering all over the road on corners that the S was pulling away on with silky smoothness.

Have scrapped knee on the S at 155 and also side slipped the rear wheel to slingshot out of corners at 100+ with NO chattering of either the front or rear wheel. This thing is not "on a rail" it IS the rail!

Also, I have done a quick 550 miles in one day (actually 7 hours) with a good mix of twist, sweepers and open highway. The comfort level was really surprising. However, I believe I am too old to try a multiple ooo mile trip on it as that would mean at least two sets of tires and I would no doubt miss the cruise factor.

To truely ride this bike, one has to take the time to "learn" it, hence that is why my first set of tires lasted 2500 miles. Second were shredded at 1800 and the third are pushing another 1800 to 2000. (plan on trying the Pilot powers next).

One short test ride, even for a whole day, will not give you the appreciation of what this bike can do. You have to develop a true love affair and keep buying her gifts (tires) so she will open her attributes to you.

Yes, my wife is jealous, but she has already told me to order the new GT for our two up adventures (don't you just hate pushy women?).

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

#5 ·
tire eater

Shoot I can't seem to keep tires on the GT I would sure have to factor tires into the equation on the S, A new set every two months or less would get a little hard to take. Can't sell it on the gas savings that way. I guess the handling has exceeded the tire technology for now, maybe a new sticky wearing compound is in the works for some manuf. Sounds like fun.

#6 ·
I can assure you there is nothing like the k1200s, it handles,has the choice of choosing the suspension on the move,has the power,comfort in all weathers,and I used to have the honda cbr900rr before,you should get a longer test drive on the more interesting roads,and ride.

#9 ·
Just a question that I will probably be repeating during the next few months...how much do you currently weigh?

The reason I need to ask is that the suspension is set up for a 180lb rider and I am light by about 35lbs.

So perhaps I wont need to have that stiff of a setup for tackling the twisties...

Kaos

zombiewolf said:

#10 ·
Kaos968 said:
Just a question that I will probably be repeating during the next few months...how much do you currently weigh?

The reason I need to ask is that the suspension is set up for a 180lb rider and I am light by about 35lbs.

So perhaps I wont need to have that stiff of a setup for tackling the twisties...

Kaos
If you're 145, you may not need to bump the preload to "single with luggage" for attacking the twisties. I am around the target weight with my gear, and I found that lots of stuff was dragging during aggressive riding in the "single rider, no luggage" mode. Once I bumped it up a notch, the problem was solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.