Pannier holder + luggage rack - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Pannier holder + luggage rack

The German company Hepco&Becker, well known for providing luggage solutions, offers a holder for their panniers as well as a luggage rack for the S. To me, the luggage rack looks better than the one already known from SW-Motech and the BMW panniers can still be attached.

Unfortunately there are only pictures inside the mounting instructions (which are in German, too ) for pannier holders and luggage rack.

Manfred

Last edited by ManfredH; Dec 22nd, 2005 at 9:00 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:01 am

I like the fact that the BMW rack is low profile (at least on the K12R. Would assume its the same on the S). The HB rack seems obtrusive and makes the bike look like parts are missing when the bags are off. Might be a trade-off for security, but I've had my R up to 125mph w/ loaded bags and didn't have a problem (yeah, not a good idea, but the opportunity presented itself).

I had HB bags on my Guzzi and they were not nearly as good as the OEM bmw bags. Big plastic jellybeans that did nothing for the aesthetics of the bike. All bags leaked, but mine seemed to leak and pick up mold. I opted for the 'smaller' bags that wouldn't fit a helmet. Had I gone for the larger bags (40 liter? maybe 30 liter - don't recall) that did fit a helmet, I would have had to widen my garage door. I suppose a top case is an option, but the HB topcases are only slightly uglier than the Givi topcases.

I like the fact that the beemer bags are keyed to the bike. I don't know if that's something that HB offers now, but it wasn't an option for my old bike. That meant one key was slowly wearing a circle in the dash-plate as I drove down the road. And, god help you if you lose your HB key.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfredH
The German company Hepco&Becker, well known for providing luggage solutions, offers a holder for their panniers as well as a luggage rack for the S. To me, the luggage rack looks better than the one already known from SW-Motech and the BMW panniers can still be attached.

Unfortunately there are only pictures inside the mounting instructions (which are in German, too ) for pannier holders and luggage rack.
Manfred
I'm sorry but those racks ruin the entire look of the bike. It transforms the look of the K1200S from SPORT-bike to DORK-bike.

I too would like some good alternatives to the BMW bags but so far no one even comes close. Biggest complaint I have with the BMW bags is the're not water tight. You have to stuff everything in liners if you don't want it to get wet when it rains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 2:13 am Thread Starter

I did not say that I like panniers other than those from BMW. However, those panniers to not take too much luggage and in case you want to ride with a pillion for more than 2 days, you may encounter a luggage problem. And this rack might solve your problem without preventing the usage of the BMW panniers. That's all I wanted to say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode