BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Are you having problems using your heated gear?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sportrider 
#1 ·
I am using (er, was using) a heated liner and gloves by Gerbing. I would plug it in to the provided accessory socket and it stays on for about 10 seconds, then nothing.

Talked to the local service shop about this and he has heard complaints before. Evidently the new CAN-BUS can't handle anything pulling over 5 amps. BMW gear, he says, doesn't pull over 5 amps like the Gerbing gear (or other gear).

Anybody else having a problem running non BMW heated gear.

#2 ·
gsdave said:
I am using (er, was using) a heated liner and gloves by Gerbing. I would plug it in to the provided accessory socket and it stays on for about 10 seconds, then nothing.

Talked to the local service shop about this and he has heard complaints before. Evidently the new CAN-BUS can't handle anything pulling over 5 amps. BMW gear, he says, doesn't pull over 5 amps like the Gerbing gear (or other gear).

Anybody else having a problem running non BMW heated gear.
Everybody knows about it and it is true about the 5 amps. You can run an electric vest and that's about all. I think part of the issue is that all the loads come thru the ZFE chassis electronics and the more current thru the various loads monitored by the ZFE, the hotter it would get. That is why it is in the front just inside the fairing for cooling.
We who have more heated stuff have put a connection to the battery thru a fuse to either the stock accessory jack or an additional one mounted somewhere. You can also use it to charge your battery with a battery tender, though BMW states you should disconnect your battery, in that case, from the bike electronics. I think you are safe with a battery tender, but don't use an auto charger or trickle charger or any charger that has a desulfating cycle. The danger is too high a voltage for the bike electronics.

#3 ·
cjack said:
Everybody knows about it and it is true about the 5 amps. You can run an electric vest and that's about all. I think part of the issue is that all the loads come thru the ZFE chassis electronics and the more current thru the various loads monitored by the ZFE, the hotter it would get. That is why it is in the front just inside the fairing for cooling.
We who have more heated stuff have put a connection to the battery thru a fuse to either the stock accessory jack or an additional one mounted somewhere. You can also use it to charge your battery with a battery tender, though BMW states you should disconnect your battery, in that case, from the bike electronics. I think you are safe with a battery tender, but don't use an auto charger or trickle charger or any charger that has a desulfating cycle. The danger is too high a voltage for the bike electronics.
Well I've got to add accessory sockets at the front anyhow for some farkles. I guess it's a pitch from BMW to use their own gear. At least it has some use.

Funny thing that the service manager at my local dealer didn't have a difinitive answer on the subject until about 2 weeks ago. I woulda thought there was a bigger stink about the usability of the socket before that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.