Received My Recall Notice - '10 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

Received My Recall Notice - '10 GT

Big OOPS, this should be under the "K / GT" section. Don't see a way to delete it and re-post. Maybe one of the Mods can move it.

Just an FYI...
Received a recall notice today: "Recall Campaign No. 09V-471, K 1300 S, K 1300 GT", dated February 2010.

The notice says: "The problem involves fuel quality. Poor fuel quality may lead to small deposits within the throttle bodies. During engine operation in a low rpm range, typically near idle speed (when coming to a stop), air flow could be restricted. If air flow was sufficiently restricted, then engine stalling could occur."
I understand that the latest "flash" is now 14.3. Probably won't be able to take the bike until later next week. Bike has never exhibited any stalling at all and only Chevron "Premium" in the tank.

My GT has a build date of Sept. 09, which I purchased in early November and now have just over 1000 miles on her. Probably less than 150 miles have been on the freeway, just to test out the cruise control. The rest have been in the twisty's, primarily up Mines Rd to the "Junction" and to Mt.Hamilton and back (from the Livermore, Ca. side its about 110 miles round trip with an elevation change of about 4000'.)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.758743&z=11
This is a must do ride if your ever in the SF/Bay Area.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S

Last edited by K13GT; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 12:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Enthusiast

Quite distressing to see that stalling issue was not factory fixed withthe 2010 models. Simply inexcusable.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 9:22 am
Addict-oholic

I got my recall notice in the mail, and I just cannot see the words alluding to "bad fuel". This is just a lot of BS. My dealer did the software upgrade and replaced both handlebar switches. While the bike was in for the winter service, I had the dealer install my Stebel Horn, intall BMW Patrol light
( flashing rear led), rewire my motolights to the Centech fuse box under the seat. These were all items promised to be done when The bike was purchased. I held off until I knew I was going to keep the bike and was not returned under the lemon law for a bad fuel guage that needed 3 trips back to get it fixed.

Bike is up to snuff, getting delivered tomorrow and waiting for some decent weather....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:56 am
Sheep

I got my recall letter yesterday and I have an '09 K13S, built 11/08. Had the v14.2 done the very first day it was available for download direct to the dealers... have put over 4000mi on bike since update. Stalling issues gone, and never had the TB's cleaned. 13,500mi on odo so far. My service manager told me other day that BMW did send them a service bulletin that has recommended the following fuels only because of their cleaning agent: Chevron, Texaco, BP/Amoco, Shell is what I remember but think he mentioned 1 or 2 more in that list.

I think BMW may have had 2010 bikes "on the way" when update was released, and it's just as easy for the dealer to update the ECU when the bike comes off the truck and in the door of dealer. Nobody is riding the bikes between Germany and dealer, so there shouldn't be any 2010's riding around with old software anymore. Recall notice is there just in case a 2010 slipped through the cracks, and if I were a prospective buyer I'd probably actually prefer the dealer telling me "we downloaded the latest software for you."

Hope you GT owners' bikes are running perfectly.

Last edited by Sheep; Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:04 am.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:03 pm
Addict

Referring back to the first post, there is now a 14.3 flash? If so, what's changed over 14.2?

Mal Glanz
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
'09 K1300S
'09 CBR1000RR
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Sheep

I was just up for the 12K service last Friday and Jon never mentioned anything about a newer version; this kind of news doesn't "get by him." Sounds strange going from 14.2 to 14.3 too, which would indicate a very minor adjustment. Everything runs right so can't imagine what little thing needed correction????

Where did you hear about that update?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 4:14 pm
Veteran

Use good quality gas and quit riding around town ....done deal...why should BMW be responsible for the users deliberate intentions of using shit gas and riding like grandma on a Harley (all I could find was Grandpa)

Last edited by BAK04GT; Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:19 pm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 7:51 pm
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal
Referring back to the first post, there is now a 14.3 flash? If so, what's changed over 14.2?
I checked with Jon (Capitol BMW service manager) and he said they received a CD from BMW with software update on Friday (day after I was at their place), but no mention on the bulletin with it that it was for the K13.

Last edited by Sheep; Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:06 pm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:53 pm
Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Use good quality gas and quit riding around town ....done deal...why should BMW be responsible for the users deliberate intentions of using shit gas and riding like grandma on a Harley (all I could find was Grandpa)
So we push the bikes to the countryside??
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 5:54 pm
Enthusiast

I took delivery of my '10 GT this last weekend. When I asked about the recall they stated that they completed all recalls prior to delivery. I talked to one of the techs and he seems to think that the software update simply holds a higher RPM for a fraction of a second prior to allowing the bike to idle.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode