Remus Hexacone carbon V's Laser hotcam 2 stealth - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2010, 8:27 am Thread Starter
mk1
Noob

Remus Hexacone carbon V's Laser hotcam 2 stealth

Hi guy's I hope someone on the forum will be able to give me some info on the Remus hexacone full carbon fiber against the Laser hotcam 2 Stealth full carbon fiber, I have been told by an exhaust trader in the UK that the Remus hexacone full carbon fiber falls to bits after not to many miles because of a lack of of steel in the construction, so the carbon fiber has to deal with all the heat that the exhaust generates which results in the sleeve coming away from the pop rivets? also discoloration. The supplier could sell me a remus hexacone carbon but could not give a 12 month guarantee strange or what? I know a lot of folk's on hear have the remus hexacone with carbon fiber ends could any of you please let me know what you think of this version of the exhaust? I must admit I do prefer the looks of the Laser hotcam 2 Stealth full Carbon Fiber but I am now unsure if this can suffers from the same kind of faults so if anyone has experience of this can could you please let me know how pleased you are with the build quality Finish and any problems you have encountered with them I would be very grateful for any kind of input on this subject. Is the recent build quality or lack of it why the BMW dealers in the UK have stopped supplying Remus exhaust as a recommended replacement for their bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2010, 1:44 pm
Sheep

I can't speak to your priority question regarding carbon fiber cans from Remus or Laser, but...
I had a full Remus (header & 19" polished stainless Powercone) on previous R1200R and it was first class fit and finish. If it had been available for the K13S in 19" version, I'd have gotten another. Since it wasn't, I installed a custom-fabricated can/connector pipe. So this is just a comment on my experience with Remus quality.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2010, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
mk1
Noob

Thanks for your reply Sheep I had a full Remus system on my old Yamahe Fazer and it was a 1st class system, its just I am getting told bad things about the Carbon Fiber Hexacone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Veteran

Hmmm... No idea why anyone would tell you bad things about the Remus Carbon Fiber Hex..or any other Remus. I've been selling them since day one and have not heard of a single issue..I kinda wish I'd bought one now.

Also.. as far as I know... the Laser Hotcam 2 Stealth full Carbon Fiber isn't even available. They have had nothing but trouble out of those and had to do 2 recalls on ALL units sold..We actually had to give refunds on over 30 units.. Not fun.

As Laser has had nothing but financial troubles over the last 10 months almost all US vendors (including myself) have dropped their entire line from our menus...Hated to see it as they have produced some great products including their standard Hotcam.

I actually have one of the handful of Laser HotCam Stealth 2 slip-ons on my K1200S (my second one) and the Carbon fiber has already turned kinda yellowish-green. Have been waiting for a replacement for 8 months. KInda doubt I'll ever see it now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 6:46 am Thread Starter
mk1
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Hmmm... No idea why anyone would tell you bad things about the Remus Carbon Fiber Hex..or any other Remus. I've been selling them since day one and have not heard of a single issue..I kinda wish I'd bought one now.

Also.. as far as I know... the Laser Hotcam 2 Stealth full Carbon Fiber isn't even available. They have had nothing but trouble out of those and had to do 2 recalls on ALL units sold..We actually had to give refunds on over 30 units.. Not fun.

As Laser has had nothing but financial troubles over the last 10 months almost all US vendors (including myself) have dropped their entire line from our menus...Hated to see it as they have produced some great products including their standard Hotcam.

I actually have one of the handful of Laser HotCam Stealth 2 slip-ons on my K1200S (my second one) and the Carbon fiber has already turned kinda yellowish-green. Have been waiting for a replacement for 8 months. KInda doubt I'll ever see it now.
Any time I try to get a quote from a vendor in the UK for a laser stealth they have lots of trouble doing so because no-one knows who the importer is after Motrax gave it up in September last year, so in your opinuon the Hexacone full carbon fiber is a very good exhaust with no problems compaired to the Laser hotcam Stealth? I like the look of the Hex full carbon so mabye I'm just getting bad info? Thanks for your input
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:36 am
Veteran

Correct... I personally have seen no problems with the Remus Full Carbon Hexacone...However.. it's only been on the market for 3-4 months ....

as for what your dealer told you about the warranty... That part is correct. Here in the states, no Carbon Fiber exhaust comes with a warranty to cover discoloring or finish and for good reason.

Carbon Fiber can look wonderful for years if you take care of them. If you don't.. they can look like total crap in a matter of months or even weeks in extreme cases. I've seen carbon cans 2 months old look like they was dug out of the Giza plateau simply because the owner never cleaned it, let mud dry on it, ran the bike on the track often, let the bike outdoors in the weather, etc. After all that, any effort to clean it up was futile and he blamed everyone except himself..He should have never chose CF in the first place.

However... if you actually take care of them.. like I do with mine.. they can look as good as the day you bought them after 5 years or more..In actuality.. they take less care than any other finish if you use common since. My 2 doubloons.

BTW.. the comment you said the dealer mentioned about the Remus..

"...it.falls to bits after not to many miles because of a lack of of steel in the construction, so the carbon fiber has to deal with all the heat that the exhaust generates which results in the sleeve coming away from the pop rivets? also discoloration..."

That's almost an exact explanation describing the Laser Stealth HotCam 2 problems. I wonder if the dealer simply got the pipes mixed up. The first production HotCam Stealth run was recalled because the metal inside was NOT up to spec.. too thin... causing discoloration due to excessive heat and too much vibration which caused rivets to come loose... FYI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1
... so in your opinuon the Hexacone full carbon fiber is a very good exhaust with no problems compaired to the Laser hotcam Stealth? I like the look of the Hex full carbon so mabye I'm just getting bad info? Thanks for your input
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 11:36 am
Veteran

BTW MK1... I just heard about a company in the UK... Blue Flame Performance that offers quite a few exhaust options for the K1200S at very reasonable price. Zero idea of sound or quality, but they sure look good in the pics. They have all sorts of shapes and finishes from round Moto GP canisters to double exit ports to classic round or oval. Pricing is unbelievably cheap .. THier Carbon Fiber cans look great in the pics...

What do you know about them? Have you considered them?

http://www.blueflameperformance.com/index.php
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
mk1
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
BTW MK1... I just heard about a company in the UK... Blue Flame Performance that offers quite a few exhaust options for the K1200S at very reasonable price. Zero idea of sound or quality, but they sure look good in the pics. They have all sorts of shapes and finishes from round Moto GP canisters to double exit ports to classic round or oval. Pricing is unbelievably cheap .. THier Carbon Fiber cans look great in the pics...

What do you know about them? Have you considered them?

http://www.blueflameperformance.com/index.php
Yes Blueflame have been on the market hear for quite a few years now, they are generally regarded as a budget type of exhaust don't get me wrong they do look well made especially the twin port ones but IMHO they don't have quite the same quality of material and finish that the big name brands have. I didn't know that the carbon Fiber Hex has only been on the market for a few months? do you think doing away with the Cat and fitting a carbon Hex means that the hex has a lot of extra heat to disperse? so leading to problems? just a thought.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 6:31 pm
Veteran

That's kinda what I was thinking... almost too cheap to be a top quality option...Thx for the opinion.

Yes.. the Hexacone for the K1200S is their newest offering. . I saw the first one in the US this last July unless my pitiful memory is failing me. The first large shipment came in October, I think. The K1300S version was just released 2 months ago.

as for the heat.. NO... aftermarket exhausts will produce LESS heat without the cat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1
I didn't know that the carbon Fiber Hex has only been on the market for a few months? do you think doing away with the Cat and fitting a carbon Hex means that the hex has a lot of extra heat to disperse? so leading to problems? just a thought.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 12:22 pm
Rookie

Hello,

You already got my video link and feedback on EuroK , to buy it at the cheapest price, go to Euromaster (or any big Remus CAR dealer), as they sell a lot more for 4 wheelers they have higher discounts (you just need to give them the bike part reference because most of the time they won't know).
Discount is very very substantial.

Remus Titan hecxacone on K1300R in the Alps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode