K1300S usage in hot weather - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300S usage in hot weather

Hi Guys

New to the forum I am looking for some info regarding the K1300S

I am currently in Dubai / UAE and drive a BMW R1200R, a fantastic bike I have to say. However the K series is in my agenda but I cannot really decide to change my bike.

A few questions I have please

1. cans we say that new 2010 models are reliable and that all teething issues have been solved ?

2. As you can imagine here in the Middle East from April to October temperatures are going up to the roof. To enjoy our toys we are riding sometimes from 4am on weekend while it is still dark and temperatures are acceptable. However coming back at around 9am our temperatures are above 105F. Would the K engine support this ? The boxer engine is accepting this level without any issue but the K being water cooled ? this is the question ?

3. In case the engine accept this treatment what about the pilot ? I suspect a lot of heat will be surrounding the pilot when stopped at a traffic light. Are we going to be cooked ??

Looking fwd to your good advices

Ride safe

all the best from Dubai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 3:06 pm
Sheep

First, the teething issues have been addressed. Just be sure the dealer has done the warranty upgrades (in case some '10's have slipped through).... v14.2 engine management has been done along with "sponge" for brake recall especially since your environment is hotter than most. Switch gear was addressed on assembly line with later '09's. Left side gear was replaced on warranty; I paid for right side out of pocket so I'd never face possibility of engine shutdown and being stranded in ridiculous location... didn't want to take chance bike would suddenly not start when in midst of travels.

I've never had a single heat-related problem on my '09 K13S; I ran a high-speed 2-day trip last year which started in the 90's and by 3pm is was already 100 for several hours.... interstates at 80-95mph continuous. 2nd day was riding through 7hrs of constant downpours and thunderstorms! No driving wind/rain and considerable standing water related problems either.

I've never experienced engine heat affecting ANY part of the body. I traded my '08 R1200R on this bike and have never regretted it. Put 12,000mi on the R and currently have 15,000 on the K13S in 10 months. Completely different bikes; way more power obviously on the K, but much better protection against the elements, at least for more moderate climates.

Last edited by Sheep; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 3:13 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Noob

I have ridden my bike in temperatures up to about 100F. While the bike did not have a problem, the rider did (I always ride full gear). This was solved by a very simple solution. There is a neck cooler available looks like a handkerchief. It contains gel crystals that swell up with water, and retain water for many hours to up to a month, depending on conditions. When you wear this around your neck on a motorcycle, the water evaporates at a slow rate and cools your cardioid artery. I rode for 9 hours on a 90+F day and was pretty comfortable.

Current ride:
2009 K1300S ESA, GSA, ASC, TPM, Garmin 660 on BMW Tank Mount, R&G Sliders

Prior rides:
2007 K1200R RIP - Killed a deer and a fawn totaling bike.
2005 R1200GS - 5 Min on a K bike and I sold the tractor

My Blog:
http://nightsail.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Garage
I live in LA and regularly ride across the desert to go to las vegas. Riding conditions in the summer run over 100 degrees F. Never an issue and you can ride like this all day.

Howard

Motosport 2015 K1300S
Tricolor 2010 K1300S
Capri Blue 2003 K1200RS (SOLD)
Red 1994 k75 (SOLD)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2010, 8:27 pm
Enthusiast

Liquid cooled is better than air

For high temps, liquid cooling is actually a better, more controlled operating environment for the machinery. Like Howard, I ride regularly in temps well over 100 for extended times and no issues. I actually start my weekly 200 mile commute in the summer with temps in the dark, damp coastal fog in the high 40's to low 50s F, then in the late afternoon for the 200 mile commute home from Sacramento it is often 100+ for 3 to 3.5 hours till I can cross over the coastal range and temps then drop back down to the mid or even low 50's again once I get to the Pacific. The bike is essentially oblivious to these changes. And as long as I manage my hydration and venting, I stay relatively comfortable. Two weeks ago when I rode back temps hung out about 103 most of the time and it never dropped below 100 for over 3 hours, not an issue. While I have not experienced the 115+ on this bike, my K1200RS has taken me through many commutes in those temps with no hiccups, and I think the K1300S has a superior cooling system, so I would not worry.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2010, 12:08 am
Sheep

I agree that water cooling keeps a more controlled environment for machinery to operate. Of course, the "greenies" have forced much of that upon us. The K does have an excellent cooling system, but a water-cooled engine's cooling system is under a lot more stress to maintain consistent cooling. Driving through desert parttime is no big deal for the K, but for long term reliability IF I'm living in such an area, I'd much rather have an air-cooled engine... no mechanical cooling system to break down, no hoses to check, no electronics/fans, no coolant to replace, etc etc. The currently-engineered air-cooled engines have no difficulty with 30 or 130-degF temps. 2 radiators on a K: coolant & oil; only oil on an R.

There is another major maintenance point (seldom considered) in the K for desert areas where there will be a significant amount of sand/dirt --- the air intakes up front & filters. I live on the coast and there is so much fine sand on the roads you cannot see, but it loads up the filters faster on my K13S than it did on my R12R.

Long live the air-cooled VW's!!! One other note, synthetic lubricants really prove their mettle in air-cooled engines. Good luck with whatever you choose.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2010, 3:14 am

These bikes are tested to 65C in desert valley and higher in the labs.

Don't worry about it, just ride.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2010, 12:12 am
Rookie

Hot and Hoter

I ride an 07 K1200 S, three years, 30,000 miles all over the desert south west all year round. I have had no problems with the bike over heating even in 115 degrees.

The rider is another issue. Suggest a camelback and wet vest under a mesh jacket. Carry lots of water.

There is a limit and you need to be sensitive to what is happening. The chill factor reverses some where above 85 degrees and at 115 it may be like 125. It will have a negative effect, you should plan on stoping often.

Ride safe.

Roger2010
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2010, 1:19 pm
Veteran

Regarding wind chill, I've believe that any wind I get that is below my normal 93 degree skin temperature will have a cooling effect if I dress accordingly.

I'm been pleasantly surprised that the new BMW Airshell yellow neon jacket is far cooler to ride in over their older more mesh silver/gray model of two-years ago. Seems the extremely bright color yellow reflects a lot of the suns rays and the darn thing actually seems far cooler - and even cold at times (I ain't kidding!) - when the temps are in the low 90's and you are riding at least 50mph in it.

Much of my other gear gets very hot at even 85 degrees and becomes a sauna (esp. the Gore-Tex stuff - ugh!). I've ridden with the new yellow one into the 100's with a Phase Change vest under it and remained non-sweaty where others have been sweating like crazy and red-faced about to pass out. Generally, I leave the Phase Change vest out of it under 98 degrees and drink more water to compensate for not having it on. Wearing a long-sleeve Wicker's or Chillies poly/synthetic shirt as a liner to keep the Airshell from chafing (it's a bit coarse) helps with the comfort too.

I was standing in the sun at a buddies small outdoor garage while he was working under someone's car and the owner and his family were standing there in the sun next to it. Guy asked me, "Aren't you burning up in that jacket?" "Nope. I'd be burning up out of it."

Something else I like to do is put the helmet on top of the floor register with the A/C running into it (about 52 degrees at the register) for while. It seems to stay cool long enough when it's 100+ out that you adjust to the ambient a bit easier than just putting a normal temperature or even a sun-cooked hot helmet on. I've heard some put it into the refrigerator (if you have the space) for an hour or two before putting it on if you need to go out into the 100's.

The water vest works in low humidity, but becomes a sweat box at times so I went to the Phase Change types to avoid the times the water vests won't work or get too sweaty for comfort. The Phaze Change things seem to "freeze" their packs at around 55 degrees too. Learned about them talking to a Cal-Trans flagman while stopped once. He had a ice chest with replacement packs nearby. I got replacements after the initial trial of the thing and stuff them into a little 6 pack cooler than I can carry in the bike's bag. I can rotate the packs every two hours and put some bag ice into the cooler to recharge the melted pack. I haven't tired the ice water vest with all the hoses, water pump, and ice cooler yet. They seem to have a following though.

Someone sold me a soakable neck bandanna at a rally that was sewn with multiple compartments and had seams placed that allowed for the air to flow around and through it. The thing actually was nicer to wear and you could feel the cooling where the old one would get hot and clammy. I think his wife sewed them after he thought up the design to let some air flow around it with all its chambers with the gel-stuff in them. Unfortunately, I think I over-soaked the thing in ice water and it swelled up and blew a compartment out.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode