Clutch slave cylinder replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch slave cylinder replacement

Hi everyone. Has been following this site for several years now. It is a life saver. Learned a lot.
Now, I have a question. My kid helped me to lay my bike on the right side in the garage. So the clutch slave cylinder got scraped. I am meticulous in kipping everything “scars” free.
I removed 4 bolts that hold it in place + the hose that runs to the clutch lever. Had it painted. Put everything in the same sequence as I took it apart. Used hex ranch to bleed the air/fluid on the slave cylinder. Well, my clutch does not want to work now. When I squeeze the clutch lever it does not feel like doing anything. If I try to shift from N to 1 just kills the engine.
Is there a special trick or something? What comes to mind is charging cooling system– you really need to know how.
Thank for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:41 pm
JCW
contributor

What's your procedure for bleeding the clutch slave? You are pulling in the clutch while opening the bleed, then closing the bleed before you completely release the clutch, correct? Keeping the reservoir filled with fluid?

The other thing is to flick the clutch lever twenty or more times (pull completely back then let it flick back to open) to encourage the air bubbles to come to the reservoir.

The last thing, I hope didn't happen, is there is an actuator rod that fits behind that slave cylinder. I think there is a small chance of this falling out. But if you started in the engine, I would imagine it would have made the god awful worst sound in the world getting flung around by the clutch basket.

BTW, I merged the two threads into one.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 9:53 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Sounds like I did everything right. I want to post pictures but can not figure out how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

here we go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	774.6 KB
ID:	11805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2117.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	895.5 KB
ID:	11806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	11807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2120.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	908.3 KB
ID:	11808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	11809  

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:23 am
JCW
contributor

When you have the slave removed and you gently pull the clutch, does the piston come out?

My guess is there's still air in the system somewhere. most likely trapped in the master cylinder. I'd do that lever flick thing then recheck it in the AM. Tap on the master cylinder to see if you can encourage those bubbles to work their way out into the reservoir.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 4:42 am
Veteran

First, don't test the clutch by engaging a gear with the engine running. Easiest way to check if the clutch is engaging/disengaging is, with the engine stalled, ignition off, put first gear in, then pull the clutch. Then move the bike back and forth. If the clutch works, the bike moves. Then release the clutch to check that it grips.

When I broke my clutch slave cylinder I had a similar problem. The solution that someone here on the forum suggested was to tilt the bike towards the right (throttle side) as far as you can, then pump the clutch lever (that now should be sticking upwards), many many times. You might also want to leave the bike angled over this way overnight to release any air bubbles.

Good luck!

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you for all of your inputs.
That kept bugging me though because I seem to be doing everything right.
Than it suddenly got me what I was doing wrong, and you would never guess.
After putting everything together and pumping the clutch as I described in an earlier post I tried to test it to see if it worked. Well I was not going for a ride so I just wanted to test it in my garage. So here I am on the bike with the engine going but, I never kicked the side stand back from the out position. Well there is a switch on the bike that will not allow you to engage gears (safety measure) if the stand is out.
So, I kick the stand back start the bike and problem solved. Shifts like a charm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:56 pm
JCW
contributor

Your right, I would have never had guessed that one.
It's happened to me before...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Another thing to be sure of: There is a ball bearing with a flattened side that presses on the plunger inside the clutch slave. If that ball rotates so that the round edge is pressing the plunger instead of the flat edge, you will burn your clutch out in 2k miles. Don't ask me how I know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode