Maximum wind while parked? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2010, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
DOA

Maximum wind while parked?

I have changed jobs and am in a very windy area.
With the cover on, my K1200S blew over with a 35-40 mph gust. Perhaps a bit higher but that is what was recorded locally. $600 later she was like new again and I started tying the handlebars to the cyclone fence next to where I park.

Has anyone else had their bike blown off its side stand?
Is there a known fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Rookie

Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
With the cover on, my K1200S blew over with a 35-40 mph gust. Perhaps a bit higher but that is what was recorded locally. $600 later she was like new again and I started tying the handlebars to the cyclone fence next to where I park.

Is there a known fix?
Get a mod that increases the size of the kickstand foot. I'm thinkin' that the kickstand on your's settled into the ground. If that's not the case, point the bike into the wind and make sure it's in gear. Here's where I shopped for mine.

http://www.motorradzubehoer-hornig.de/?p_lang=en&page=home

Tipping the bike over against the kick stand would take way more than 35-40mph. I get those velocities at my place of business frequently (the wind always blows harder at the airport - that's true you know - because of "fetch"). Uneven terrain and having the bike in neutral might contribute to the susceptibility to tip over.

2009 K13S
2000 YZF R1 track bike

Life is all about attitude!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2010, 5:12 pm
Veteran

My guess is that the cover acted like a sail and helped tip over your bike. There was a picture of several Ducati bikes at a moto race last year (maybe 2 years ago) that were knocked over due to wind getting under the cover of at least one bike. They fell over like dominoes.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2010, 10:59 am
Veteran

You didn't mention which way it fell... Did the bike roll FORWARD and fall on it's left side? or did it blow completely over onto the right side?

Was the bike parked in gear and rolled all the way forward as it should have been? Just trying to figure out if the wind was the culprit.. or you...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA

Is there a known fix?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2010, 4:50 pm

That hasn't been a problem for me. My covered K12GT is on the center stand on a 16"x16" concrete pad and has stood through 50-60 mph gusts on the nose. The location makes it difficult for strong winds to hit it from any other direction. I've had to chase down trashcans, chairs and the porch table, but the bike just sets there.

regards,
Joe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:03 am Thread Starter
DOA

Always easier to blame the rider.
I did not have it in gear, on the other hand decades of that practice has not proven to be a problem. It blew over on the right side so in/out of gear does not come into play.
Airports have a good chance at high winds, but gusting maximums for a given area often come from the vortexes formed by buildings. These wind speeds can be much greater than open spaces. When the buildings are very close like downtown the wind is blocked somewhat, but on the outskirts of town you get a channeling effect.
There is no mark from the side stand digging into the asphalt, but that would cause a left side fall anyway.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Not germane to anything but an old war story... I used to park my bike on the centerstand and with a cover on it in a small parking lot next to a back taxiway when I was stationed at MCAS El Toro. One day I was up in the control tower and watched an F4 Phantom taxiing around and pointed his ass-end right at my bike as he hit power to increase his taxi speed out of the flight line. My poor bike took off straight sideways and landed five feet away on its side. Heartbreaking to watch.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:26 pm
Rookie

Ditch the cover.

Mike
08 K1200S Nachtschwartz
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:26 pm
Enthusiast

Wind Blow Over

After having my bikes blown over a couple of times (have a garage now). I made the brilliant observation of removing the covers if the weather was calling for high winds. Better to let the rain on them than have the covers act like sails and pull them over. After I got into that habit, I never had a tip over again!

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode