Is the K1300S a bigger better F800ST? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 8:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Arrow Is the K1300S a bigger better F800ST?

I have a F800GT, which is lovely but I'm really tempted by the big orange K1300S.

The K1300GT is a MUCH bigger bike that the F800ST (which is really an all-rounder), and the K1300S uses the same panniers etc as the F800ST.

How is the comfort on the K1300S as compared to the F800ST?

Is this the logical step up? Can you tour on the K1300S without breaking your writsts?

Regards,

Daniel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:18 am

Actually I think the bags are smaller than the ones supplied on the 1300. Theres a big weight difference not to mention a major power difference. Once it hits the powerband its like hitting hyperspace. The 800 is a straight up riding position where the 1300 is a sport position but not as sporty as the suzuki's , yamaha's etc.
You can tour on a 1300 if desired
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 6:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Are you sure, a friend said the panniers are exactly the same.

Obviously its way faster, can you still lane split in traffic etc?

How low are the bars? Can they be adjusted?

Daniel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:51 pm
Sheep

The panniers for the F800ST and K1300S,R are not the same!! Those bikes' mufflers are on opposite sides and that alone makes them different. The F8ST panniers are a little smaller. The difference is obvious when you see both at same time. I have the sport panniers for my K13S.

If there is any sort of "step up" from the 800ST, it might be an R bike. The K13S is totally different... it's a sport tourer with the emphasis on sport. It has great torque in the right places; a significant improvement over K12S. The K13S is comfortable for "tripping" in spite of its slightly aggressive ergos.

Last edited by Sheep; Mar 30th, 2010 at 8:38 pm.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 7:21 pm

.....800 vs. the S...? Apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

kbikeinbc
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Looks like there is nothing really to move up to from the F800ST.

The R touring bikes are huge by comparison.

Daniel.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 12:42 am
Sheep

Don't know your feelings about naked bikes, but the R1200R has so many accessories available in the aftermarket, you could make your own lightweight tourer. I had an R12R before I got the K. I set it up early for performance, and fun in the summer. Before the weather turned cold, I bought heated winter jacket liner, a taller windscreen for more protection. I had roomy Givi hard side cases and a large tail bag. That bike is very agile and controllable in twisties and with 109+hp and good torque down low, it will romp. With the BMW sport screen (an amazing amount of protection for such a little thing), you can ride through strong downpours, with raingear, with no problems... I took it on a long trip with just that. The bike weighed fully fueled at 490lb with the full Remus... that's 70lb less than an RT and a lot less bulky.

Here are 2 variations of the bike (custom-painted) in its different travel modes:

This is the way I rode it in warm weather and when in "sport mode." Had the light full Remus exhaust & a Dobeck fueling module, and Michelin Pilot Road 2's (superb).

This is for the longer travels and/or winter. 18" Cee Bailey screen. I could remove/install the Givi rear mounts in less than 15min so I rode the bike with them off 90% of time to keep it really light & naked. Givis are half the price of BMW hard bags.

BMW site states the F800ST is 461lb fully fueled, and my R12R was 490lb in lighter trim fully fueled... not much difference in weight between the two and R12R has a whole lot more "snot" to it. Anyway, just something you might just want to put on your consideration list. Otherwise, you need to think Japanese if no Beemer in your plans.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 2:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs
Looks like there is nothing really to move up to from the F800ST.

The R touring bikes are huge by comparison.

Daniel.
Dan you just have to ride one (a K1300s) and your 800 will then belong to your wife , I know my wife wants one
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 4:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
The panniers for the F800ST and K1300S,R are not the same!! Those bikes' mufflers are on opposite sides and that alone makes them different. The F8ST panniers are a little smaller. The difference is obvious when you see both at same time. I have the sport panniers for my K13S.
Actually the Sport Panniers are the same. The only difference is the brackets that hook to the mounts.

While the exhausts are on different sides for each bike, they are not high enough that they get in the way of the bags/panniers. The exhaust is actually under the pannier.

As for K1300S vs. F800ST... I think the ST's handlebar position is slightly more comfortable but the windshield on the K13S works better for me.

Personally, I'd go with the K1300S... but then again, I'm partial to the K bikes.

"Today's cars are the most complex, sophisticated machines ever to be places in the hands of inexpert operators.", Richard Parry-Jones on what's really holding back the automobile
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 8:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

I already have a F800ST, I'm wondering if the K1300S will be an suitable upgrade. I want something still flickable in traffic and which I can lane spit with, since I commute daily. Hence teh RT's and GT's are off the list.

Thanks for the idea on the R1200R, I'm not normally into naked, and like the idea of standard paniers but I'll check it out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode