So, hello... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2010, 2:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

So, hello...

What a great site.
I became a K1200S owner on Saturday last (my first BMW). I'm hoping you won't mind a pile of daft questions in the coming weeks as I try to work it out.
Hope you don't mind me introducing myself, and asking a couple of questions off the bat.
Mine's a 2006 bike, in grey, with ABS, ESA, heated grips and various other things. Was bought new from the dealer by a guy who has managed a total of 2100 miles on it from new! Never can understand how you could have something like that in the garage and not use it, but I guess I'm benefiting so thanks Rich Guy.
I traded my Guzzi Stelvio in to buy the bike, so it's a quite a step up. It's got a Remus Revolution aboard and the dealer tells me it's making somewhere between 170 and 179bhp - either way it terrifies me, in a good way.
I ride every day, all year, with the bike being my daily transport whatever the weather - so those 2100 miles are about to climb...a lot.
I blog a bit about my riding (and have talked a little about getting to grips with the K12 too, and asked for advice) here - http://progressblues.blogspot.com/
So, with apologies, a couple of questions, and I'd be very grateful for any advice please:

The bike has a sat-nav cradle on the tank. I have worked out it's a Navigator system, but have no idea which one. Images of the crade for the 1, 2 & 3 systems look the same as far as I can tell and I don't have the actual sat-nav device. How can I fond out what it is, and where can one buy the device but not the rest of it?

Secondly, it has some kind of communications system too, with one cable sitting in a holder at the foot of the tank and the seconf sitting in another just beside the grab-rail by the pillion seat. Am assuming it's a BMW system but no idea what, or how to use it (or what I need to buy to use it).

Apparently Rich Guy wanted these back in case he got another bike, but the thing went in for it's major service today and came back with them on so I'm assuming they're mine until someone tells me different.

That's it. Looking forward to being a part of this community, enjoying the bike and learning from both.

And, as the Cock crew, those who stood before
The Tavern shouted--"Open then the Door!
"You know how little while we have to stay,
"And, once departed, may return no more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2010, 8:15 pm
JCW
contributor

Welcome.

Can't help you on either questions , but I'm sure someone will chime in.

I do think that BMW has their own special branded sat nav. But it's probably the same dimensions as the one available under the brand.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 7:09 am
Addict

congrats, nice bike

Did you buy any extended warranty? I sure don't want to be a stick in the mud but watch that transmission. I have an 06 and I've had 2 trannies, I think it depends on the version you have. I believe I got Version 4 possibly, the 2nd time around 38-39k miles, the first ones seemed to last exactly 18-20k miles before the problem showed up. So far so good on the one I have in their now.

I can handle other failures/maintenance and stuff but trannies are expensive.

However, I'm still riding it and have recently dumped another 2 grand into the bike (clutch/PCIII, dyno, et el). I've decided to ride this bike forever, near 70k miles on it at the moment. I'll be adding a few more things, got my new Synto levers (from Pirate) and looking for a seat. Also adding the touring Vario windscreen from Pirate.

Bought my 2006 KS brand new in Detroit in the fall of 05 and I still swoon everytime I look at it, how weird is that I'm not usually that way with machines but this one is special (blue/white).

Some old guy (like, way older than me even!) in the park lot in socal at the bank one day, parked next to me and found out he was a WWII pilot in a bomber after we got to talking, the guy was quite fasinating. Said he appreciates good machine work, design, etc, and loved the KS, couldn't quit looking at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 4:49 pm
Addict

Welcome on board man.

I cant help you with the comms stuff but maybe with the GPS.

I had the Navigator 3 on my GSA and i run a Garmin Zumo 550 on my GT.

Depending on how you think that you might use your GPS I wouldnt bother buying a Navigator to go in the cradle.

On day rides and touring I like to have some music in my ears.

The ZUMO has a built in MP3 player which pauses when the GPS wants to talk to me. I dont use bluetooth but use a pair of Sennheiser ear buds that fit snugly into my ears and also block out some of the ambienet noise.

I think that you will find the cost of getting a ZUMO unit complete will be less than replacing just the Navigator head unit.

The ZUMO kit also come with a seperate cradle for the car as well.

Ride safe.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 1:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for this.
I hadn't intended to use GPS at all - certainly wouldn't buy one normally. Equally my wife doesn't ride pillion and I don't go in for music or phones whilst riding so the comms system wouldn't be for me either.
But, seeing as they're there, I thought it would be silly not to use them if there was an inexpensive way of doing so (or, at least, being able to do so if I wanted) - thus the questions about how to find out which head unit fitted the cradle. Plan was/is to discover that and then keep an eye on eBay et cetera to see if one came up.
As for the bike - I'm gradually getting used to it. Feels massively more planted than my previous Guzzi in the wet, except on paint, and corners wonderfully by comparision (although the front does nip in and slide occassionally in the wet which is alarming but that's probably a mix of me not riding it right yet and possibly the Mich Pilots which may or may not be any good - don't know)

And, as the Cock crew, those who stood before
The Tavern shouted--"Open then the Door!
"You know how little while we have to stay,
"And, once departed, may return no more."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode