Switchgear Recall - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2010, 5:33 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Switchgear Recall

Got my second recall notice on my 09 K1300S just the other day. It is the new one for the left and right switch gear. Micro cracks may be created due to a combination of extreme temperature swings and humid conditions (like living on the coast and riding to Sacramento going from 40 deg F to over 100 deg F in a day?). So, while I have not had issues with the right switch gear (on/off switch may cause stalling), my ESA and turn signal switches went out just before I took it in for the 14.2 software, so they replaced that switchgear, and so far, all is well. When I called today about scheduling for 1st checking if mine meets the recall VIN range, then 2nd fixing it, I was told it is all on hold as there are NO switchgear assemblies available in the US, nor any available from BMW AG, yet. They will call when they can schedule....

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Sheep

The left side switches were going bad much far more frequently than the right sides, so even 6 months ago I had to wait until they caught up with warranty replacements at that time. So at the same time, I ordered and paid for the right side out-of-pocket since there were a couple folks whose K's shut off and couldn't be restarted; they were stranded and needed a tow. I have to constantly drive through low-populated forested areas regularly day and night and it would be nasty to be stranded out there since nearest BMW dealer is also 164mi away!

Now in the process of trying to get the available reimbursement per recall notice (or even a credit at dealer) for that right switch since the recall has been issued for both sides. Build date of my bike was 11/08.

The small circuit boards were cracking since the supplier did not build them according to BMW's specs.

Last edited by Sheep; Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:20 am.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2010, 2:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

25 is good

Stopped in to my dealer yesterday and they inspected my switchgear. What they look for is the part number. The way I understood it was that if it ends in 25, then they are the good newer product. Peel back the lip of the grip on the left, remove the throttle cable cap on the right and you can see them stamped in there. My left was AOK (great since that is the difficult and time consuming one to swap) but the right ended in 77 or something that meant it was an earlier version. I was the first for them to work with on this recall so they were just setting up their internal procedure for it all, but they have ordered the correct product and will call when it is available. The service manager indicated the right side is really quick to swap, so that was good news for me since I am like you 180+ miles away and only get to go in when I go to Sac for my weekly HQ meetings.

Good luck on the reimbursement. They have always been good with me on things like that in the past. Never knew if it was just my dealer or BMW NA/AG.

BTW, now I am getting decent mileage on the new software and I can definitely tell the difference. Nice!

Jim Douglas
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2010, 1:00 am
Sheep

Jim,

Dealership's new owner (highly customer-oriented & acts quickly) and Jon (serv mgr) have the part#'s of the replacement switches, but he sent email telling me what you're saying. He wants me to take a look at the serial #'s to confirm. Told me to absolutely not damage the labels.

I bought the bike up in Jersey, and this dealership knows it, yet they give me first-class service every single time... no BS and Jon explains all their work in detail as he's a techno freak! They have yet to sell a K13S at their dealership and use(d) all the stalling, quirks/recalls, etc on mine as a knowledge base to learn from; helps them with '09 GT's to a degree. I don't fuss too much about driving all that distance since I'm in good hands, and stuff gets corrected. NEVER had any car/bike dealership ever treat me as customer so well.

Jon got back to me this morning and just pulled back the inside of left grip and read the label... my eyes are seriously challenged! I have the replacement right combo switch here at home and just read # off box; got the original in that box. We'll see.

The gas mileage on my bike was tops before I got the version upgrade, and since, it's still excellent... average 47+mpg. Before upgrade, I got 49.7mpg in one stretch last summer on a trip. Pretty sure I'm going for a PC3 and dyno tune in summer... bike really doesn't need it but very curious to find out how much it improves overall smoothness & operation.

Thanks for your reply, David

Last edited by Sheep; Apr 16th, 2010 at 12:41 pm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2010, 5:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

David,
47 mpg is pretty sweet. I am doing about 43 with mostly twisties and constant elevation changes. Pretty happy with that, though, same as my RS.

I figure my switch gear will come in this next week since we leave for Charlotte tomorrow morning....Then the following week I have training on the day I am in Sacramento....oh, well. The bike ran flawless this week, so I can't complain. I'ld stop in and say hello, but it looks like Morehead is about 5 hours from Charlotte. We get to take care of our 4 grandsons for a week, then I'll need a vacation I think! Have a good weekend!
Jim

Jim Douglas
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Sheep

Capitol BMW has already told me that I have the correct combo switch on left side, and I gave them # for right and that has got to be the correct one... can't imagine the fixed batch of switches would be bad also. So I'll wait on them for "final orders."

Charlotte, huh? It's just over 300mi from Morehead. 5hrs would be a bit on high side but we're on the coastal "eastern bulge" (known as "downeast") travel here adds 100 more miles to reach us. The geography is such that this area which sticks out in Atlantic catches the hurricanes running up the coast. If you were going to be in Raleigh, I'd run up to BMW dealer and stop by.

Have fun with the grand-uns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode