Clutch master cylinder on '05 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2010, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Clutch master cylinder on '05

The clutch on my '05 K1200S has been funky almost since day one. FWIW the bike was a demo model.

The engagement point has fluctuated a lot since I got it. They replaced the clutch slave cylinder a couple of years ago (under warranty) but it's still not right. Currently the clutch engages somewhere between 1/2" and 1". My wife's '06 engages consistently at about 1.5".

I took it in for a new set of tires last week and asked them to look at the clutch again. They called today and said that the "Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder/Lever" needs to be replaced. Gonna cost somewhere around $500 with P&L.

Just venting I guess... I had hoped to find that this was a "common" problem but my googling has not found that to be so.

During the warranty period my dealer had to fight with BMWNA several times to get things covered. Since the warranty expired I end up putting hundreds of dollars into this thing to fix problems that seem out of the ordinary. I've had lots of bikes over the years and expect to spend money to keep them running but this is my first BMW. The total cost of ownership is pretty high.

Too bad I love this bike so much.

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2010, 2:32 pm
JCW
contributor

You could look for a used one on ebay.

I picked one up for less than $100 I think.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2010, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The new clutch handle assembly (friggin $300 for the parts) fixed the problem. I have an MSF class on Saturday (actually a Team Oregon class... Oregon ceded from the MSF awhile back) and a Track Day next Monday. Gonna need that clutch to work properly!

I hate the cost of ownership of a BMW but I LOVE MY K1200S.

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Noob

K1200lt

I have on 05 K1200lt with 6000 miles and I just started having clutch problems, trouble is warranty is up on time only. the clutch wasnt releasing so I had it bled, worked good for about 100 miles or 2 trips, now started same thing again. Is this an inherent problem in the LT's with the hydraulic clutch?
Any info or fix you can come up with would help. I have it scheduled to go into the dealer again on thursday the 20th and would like to sound somewhat smart about it.
Post me at [email protected] if you have any 'home' fixes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode