K1300s Refuse To Start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300s Refuse To Start

Twice now (since the new software upgrade) I've gone out to take a ride and the thing refused to start; lites come on, full instrument read out, turn signal, everything lites up but no engine turn over. 1 st time dealer said it was the gear indicator saying it was not in N. Luckly it was at home and not on a ride. Anybody else seen this?
GNORMOR

Gary Morgan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 9:00 am
Sheep

I've got over 17Kmi on the K13S and nothing ever like that. When did you purchase the bike, and is it '09 or '10? Have you had your left/right handlebar combo switches replaced or checked for the recent recall? Especially the right side, because failure to start was the result of BMW's supplier of switches not meeting their specs. It could fail to start one time, then another it would start, or it would never restart after initial failure. There is no prior warning when a switch is about to fail; it just goes! Left side doesn't shut the bike down, but right one can. Since you've had it happen twice, that's a strong indication the defective right handlebar combo switch might still be on your bike.

My left one failed and it was replaced with new (updated part#), but I paid for right one out-of-pocket because I didn't want to be stranded at worst possible time/place. This was before recall was issued. Now BMW is in process of reimbursing me for the right side I had done though it hadn't failed.

Software update (v14.2 fixes stalling issues) has nothing to do with starting, especially since you said all the lights were on and it wouldn't crank. Maybe your dealer needs to adjust the neutral gate, but personally haven't heard of anything like yours.

The dealers were supposed to check switch part#'s before recent K13's were sold/released; all recalls were to be done. My dealer still has a tri-color '09 K13S sitting in the showroom that's been there for almost a year... which means that bike had several recalls to be done: software update, brake reservoir sponge, & the left/right switches. Knowing my dealership, they've performed all those updates on that untitled bike already.

Anyway... just be sure your dealer has replaced the original switches if your bike falls into the BMW recall. They can look at part# label right on side of switch toward grip(s). The updated right switch should have this part#: 6131 7725 692. If you just take off the top half of the throttle housing, you can easily spot the part# label... do NOT remove or damage the label.

Last edited by Sheep; May 4th, 2010 at 4:13 pm.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Enthusiast

That is the most likely suspect. I go in tomorrow for my recall installation of the right switchgear package. My service manager indicates it is a quick replacement job, nothing like the left side. GNORMOR, if you have not checked the part number as Sheep notes, do so, and if it does not match - 7725 is the key in that code I am told, then schedule the replacement. I would think that the MoTow package would cover the transport to the dealer as well. Pain in the pitootie, but should be no $ out of your pocket. (Not sure why the gear indicator even comes in to play in any explanation unless you had the side stand down or did not have the clutch pulled in... .)

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2010, 8:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I'll check the numbers and make a fuss until they change the switches if they have not been changed. The Mo To is free but I do a lot of 200 300 mile trips every weekend and don't want to get stranded. It is a 2009 model BTW
Thanks

Gary Morgan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 5:53 am

Exclamation Switch-Set Upgrade

Hey Gary, I have an 09 1300 GT and I can GARONTEE you that rt side switch-set is the problem! Exactly as you describe it....the lights are all on but nobody home! This is very common and you get your baby to the dealer, like yesterday, it is very dangerous! She will suddenly stop running at ANY TIME....can you imagine a 90 mile/hr entrance ramp and suddenly no mo MOJO? It can and does happen Gary. DO NOT RIDE IT TILL THEY'VE FIXED IT! -Dr Ron PS make the call now :0)

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yep you are right, it is the rite side switch. They (BMW dealer) call yeserday and confirmed it was and also informed me that they are on back order. Gee that just makes me soooo happy I work 4 days on and 4 days off and I'm just starting on my 4 days off. OH WELL!!! Hopefully this will end all the problems
GNORMOR

Gary Morgan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Too bad you didn't keep it until they got your replacement. Would have been easy to temp rewire switch to ride.....

Now: K1300S Lava Orange
Then: R1100s, CBR929RR, YZF 600, Triumph Sprint ST, VFR750, K75S, GS1150E, GS550E, GS750E, KZ550, GT 380
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 7:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

The worst part of it all was I had just recieved the "switch recall" in the mail. If they are doing a recall should they not have the switches in hand? Just venting!!! They probly won't have it until I get ready to go back on my 4 day on. I can't pick it up until I start my off time.
GNORMOR

Gary Morgan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 11:20 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
Hey Gary, I have an 09 1300 GT and I can GARONTEE you that rt side switch-set is the problem! Exactly as you describe it....the lights are all on but nobody home! This is very common and you get your baby to the dealer, like yesterday, it is very dangerous! She will suddenly stop running at ANY TIME....can you imagine a 90 mile/hr entrance ramp and suddenly no mo MOJO? It can and does happen Gary. DO NOT RIDE IT TILL THEY'VE FIXED IT! -Dr Ron PS make the call now :0)
+1 This exact same thing happened on my '09 GT. The dealer inferred I was lying because it started when he tried it, but when I pointed out there was a recall on the switch (he knew nothing about that) that changed his tone. It took almost 2 weeks for a replacement switch. Glad i was at home when it happened; that would have made for a heck of an extended vacation if we were touring when it failed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 8:02 pm
Enthusiast

Just got mine done on the right this past Wednesday. They ordered it as soon as I took it in a few weeks ago, nobody had them, backordered in Germany, etc, but it came in within one week. So sorry you missed your ride time, but in the long run, it might be better than if you had gotten 300 miles out and it failed.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode