New Bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2010, 5:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New Bike

So I got this bike here about a week and a half ago and I still can't believe how much I like it. I haven't reached my Zen state with it yet 'cause I'm still going through all the different settings with suspension, and figuring out all the display options with the computer and what they mean. Example is the ambient temperature indication will automatically be displayed when temperature falls below 37 (and gives a little snowflake icon of potential icing warning). I saw this once last week. Another example is the tire pressure monitoring. It will alarm in yellow if pressure outside the recommended band and alarms in red if it continues to degrade.
Are there any complaints about anything with this bike? (other than insurance costs). One small complaint is that some of the info displayed on the computer is tiny and difficult to read, however, most of the stuff is readable.
Also, I havn't had much time to surf the internet to gather info on it. Any recommended websites and or forurms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 2:53 am
Noob

I just bought mine about a month ago, and like it a lot. What I don't like, is the owners manual. It doesn't tell you squat about general maintenance, not even a schedule for, oil change, spark plugs, oil filter, valve adjustment, shaft gear oil, etc. When I bought the bike, and wanted to buy a shop manual, he said that I could buy it on a DVD only. Well, I tried buying one, with no luck, so I called another dealer, but he said they've had it on order for 6 months, and don't know when they'll get one. My dealer doesn't even have one for his service department! The crazy thing is that this bike has been made since 2009, and they don't have it available, even for a stinkin dealer! BMW customer service is very responsive, and explained that it is a problem with the company that makes the dvd's, but they should have been able to rectify this a long time ago!
I've always had Japanese bikes, and their owners manual has most info. on basic maintenance, AND a schedule, unlike BMW. What a let down.

Tom

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 4:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccmann
I just bought mine about a month ago, and like it a lot. What I don't like, is the owners manual. It doesn't tell you squat about general maintenance, not even a schedule for, oil change, spark plugs, oil filter, valve adjustment, shaft gear oil, etc. When I bought the bike, and wanted to buy a shop manual, he said that I could buy it on a DVD only. Well, I tried buying one, with no luck, so I called another dealer, but he said they've had it on order for 6 months, and don't know when they'll get one. My dealer doesn't even have one for his service department! The crazy thing is that this bike has been made since 2009, and they don't have it available, even for a stinkin dealer! BMW customer service is very responsive, and explained that it is a problem with the company that makes the dvd's, but they should have been able to rectify this a long time ago!
I've always had Japanese bikes, and their owners manual has most info. on basic maintenance, AND a schedule, unlike BMW. What a let down.

Tom
Tom,
I'm also a first time BMW owner. I think they have a different philosphy about many things from traditional Japanese brands. Message I got from the owners manual, bring to the dealer once a year or about every 6K miles. (After the first 600 mile check)
As far as a shop manual is concerned, I bet you could find one on the internet somewhere. Take a look at bmw superbikes dot com.
I think the longer you own and ride it, you will become more familiar with the BMW quirkiness and get more comfortable with the German way. (Whatever that is)

The big picture is: Its by far the best bike I've ever owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Sheep

Do a search online; sorry I can't recall where I downloaded/printed a maintenance schedule. My dealer in Raleigh has one, and any certified master tech can tell you exactly that gets done at which mileage interval... such as engine oil, tranny oil, oil/air filter changes/inspection, rear gear lube change, valve adjustment, plugs, etc.

These K bikes don't need valve adjustments anywhere near as frequently as the R/boxers. Use top-rated synth oils for wet clutches and you'll not need to waste $$ on unnecessary frequent changes!! Factory wants valve adjustments at 18K interval, but a number of dealers will tell you these bikes can easily go 24+K unless you track the bike regularly. My dealer prefers diff lube change at 12K rather than schedule's 18K as part of preventive maintenance. I went along with their recommendation. Plugs on these last a LONG time but will probably do mine around 24K with valve check/adjustment. I've had the bike just couple weeks over 1 year and close to 18,000mi; no issues since v14.2 software update and recalls done. Just had bike custom-mapped with a PC5, though not necessary.

Hope this 2Ę helps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 7:49 pm
Enthusiast

Ins. $

Just a note on the Ins. $. Sheep and I had noted the difference between NC and CA. I just re-upped after I did some testing at different insurance company sites. Found that most if not all have significant mileage break points in their calculators. Mine had initially been set at 9,000 miles for the 1300S and 12,000 for the K12RS ( both parents had just passed in a short time and I just had other things on my mind so Iwrote the fing check)....well, dream on, I get about 7k annually these days. So...my renewal notice came in at $2250 with $300 of it for the K12 and it would not change appreciabley no matter what parameters I monkeyed with. But at 2001 miles, the K13S jumps about $300 per year, at 4001 or 5001 another $300 or so....I settled on 4,000 miles for each bike and felt I had done the best I could with $1440/yr together, $500 deductable $100k/$300k. No tickets, live in a rural area, but it is a performance bike in CA. So, dropping my mileage on the K1300s from 9,000 to 4,000 dropped my rate $800. BTW....The S1000RR and GSXR1000 were right there with the K1300S.

Oh, I knew the mirrors folded back on impact, but since I got a SportCoat cover for mine, I fold one or both back for easier covering.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2010, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K12RS
Just a note on the Ins. $. Sheep and I had noted the difference between NC and CA. I just re-upped after I did some testing at different insurance company sites. Found that most if not all have significant mileage break points in their calculators. Mine had initially been set at 9,000 miles for the 1300S and 12,000 for the K12RS ( both parents had just passed in a short time and I just had other things on my mind so Iwrote the fing check)....well, dream on, I get about 7k annually these days. So...my renewal notice came in at $2250 with $300 of it for the K12 and it would not change appreciabley no matter what parameters I monkeyed with. But at 2001 miles, the K13S jumps about $300 per year, at 4001 or 5001 another $300 or so....I settled on 4,000 miles for each bike and felt I had done the best I could with $1440/yr together, $500 deductable $100k/$300k. No tickets, live in a rural area, but it is a performance bike in CA. So, dropping my mileage on the K1300s from 9,000 to 4,000 dropped my rate $800 BTW....The S1000RR and GSXR1000 were right there with the K1300S.

Oh, I knew the mirrors folded back on impact, but since I got a SportCoat cover for mine, I fold one or both back for easier covering.
How does that mileage thing work? Do you say that you ride about 4000 miles per year vs 9000 miles for lower rates?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Noob

New Mistress

This is my new mistress. I'll never cheat on this one. Nice to meet everyone. Its an 07 S. I've had it about 2 months now. Had to replace a stolen ZX10, and I wanted the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike40.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	12075  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode