Custom tune just completed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2010, 3:30 pm
Sheep

Custom tune just completed

I searched around to find nearest reputable tuner. Allikanbe1 (Keith) pointed me to owner/engineer/tech/racer David Lillard of Redline Performance Motorsports (http://www.redlinemotors.com) in Yorktown, VA which is a Ducati dealership, but services every brand of bike. Had a custom map done with the new PC5 (no Autotune desired) on my K13S yesterday.

I don't have a jpeg of chart yet, but yesterday later in afternoon mapping was done during following conditions: 98.55deg F; 29.85in-Hg; 14% STD, 1.03. Prior to map stock bike had a custom str-thru aftermarket can and K&N's and the temp was already at 85deg F. It was very hot yesterday in that dyno room. Incidentally, gas tank already had 93oct with 10% ethanol blend.

Results: From baseline on untuned bike, we gained 18.10hp and 10.55ft-lb at rear wheel on a DynoJet dyno. FWIW, the increase would probably have been a wee bit higher since Redline saw the TB's were so dirty, they cleaned them before even the baseline tests were started.

Couple notes in just short time after install: As I was driving back home on NC coast, and as ambient temps kept dropping, the bike kept performing even better & better!! Additionally, the custom tune has not in the least affected my fuel mileage. Example: I filled tank to bottom of neck at station next to Redline and never filled again 'til home, 4.47gal and 214mi later - 47.8mpg. That's typical of fuel mileage before tune. I don't ride like grandpa and also includes some city driving. Even without dyno readout, the SOTP dyno is significantly stronger than before, particularly felt when staying in 6th and doing fast blasts around drivers who are running 70mph... 70-100mph time is seriously shortened! Engine pulls smoothly and with greater thrust. The O2 sensor is now disconnected (since bike is fuel-mapped) and does not affect CANbus/ECU. PC5 works in conjunction with ECU and adjusts for temp and altitude as per a stock bike.

Not trying to influence folks from unverified, cheaper "Booster Plug", but engine operation is seriously upgraded on the bike with a PC5. If you own a BMW or any other brand, I highly recommend David Lillard at Redline in southeastern VA if you want quality dyno tuning. I'm very familiar with dyno tuning on my past hi-perf drag cars at various places. Redline does NOT inflate numbers; they are real world data and David's been tuning for 20yrs. He currently owns nearly a dozen bikes including a BMW GS which he rides to/from work. My K13 is the 4th he's done so far & as of yesterday mine's produced highest increase; previous was 14whp. He's done a number of K12's too.

Last edited by Sheep; May 10th, 2010 at 1:44 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 4:12 am
Addict

I used Mickey Cohen Motorsports in socal to install the PCIII and dyno-tune/map the PC.

Way different bike. I gassed it in 5th gear passing a truck in the carpool lane and the front wheel lofted a bit on me! yikes!

I am getting about 3 MPG less per gallon I think, on the average.

Low speed rideability is much better also.

That is a significant HP increase on your bike!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 7:25 am

Question Pc5 Tune-up

Hey Sheep, I have an 09 K1300GT and I note that at all outside temps above 60' Farenhiet, the throttle response is sluggish in any gear for about 1/2 second or so and then it starts to accelerate. I wonder if the PC5 and dynotune eliminated that for you. I would like a CRISP response to opening the throttle! Also, if you don't mind, how much was the PC5 and parts, how costly was the Dynotune per Lillard?.
Thanks -Dr Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
I searched around to find nearest reputable tuner. Allikanbe1 (Keith) pointed me to owner/engineer/tech/racer David Lillard of Redline Performance Motorsports (http://www.redlinemotors.com) in Yorktown, VA which is a Ducati dealership, but services every brand of bike. Had a custom map done with the new PC5 (no Autotune desired) on my K13S yesterday.

I don't have a jpeg of chart yet, but yesterday later in afternoon mapping was done during following conditions: 98.55deg F; 29.85in-Hg; 14% STD, 1.03. Prior to map stock bike had a custom str-thru aftermarket can and K&N's and the temp was already at 85deg F. It was very hot yesterday in that dyno room. Incidentally, gas tank already had 93oct with 10% ethanol blend.

Results: From baseline on untuned bike, we gained 18.10hp and 10.55ft-lb at rear wheel on a DynoJet dyno. FWIW, the increase would probably been a wee bit higher since Redline saw the TB's were so dirty, they cleaned them before even the baseline tests were started.

Couple notes in just short time after install: As I was driving back home on NC coast, and as ambient temps kept dropping, the bike kept performing even better & better!! Additionally, the custom tune has not in the least affected my fuel mileage. Example: I filled tank to bottom of neck at station next to Redline and never filled again 'til home, 4.47gal and 214mi later - 47.8mpg. That's typical of fuel mileage before tune. I don't ride like grandpa and also includes some city driving. Even without dyno readout, the SOTP dyno is significantly stronger than before, particularly felt when staying in 6th and doing fast blasts around drivers who are running 70mph... 70-100mph time is seriously shortened! Engine pulls smoothly and with greater thrust. The O2 sensor is now disconnected (since bike is fuel-mapped) and does not affect CANbus/ECU. PC5 works in conjunction with ECU and adjusts for temp and altitude as per a stock bike.

Not trying to influence folks from unverified, cheaper "Booster Plug", but engine operation is seriously upgraded on the bike with a PC5. If you own a BMW or any other brand, I highly recommend David Lillard at Redline in southeastern VA if you want quality dyno tuning. I'm very familiar with dyno tuning on my past hi-perf drag cars at various places. Redline does NOT inflate numbers; they are real world data and David's been tuning for 20yrs. He currently owns nearly a dozen bikes including a BMW GS which he rides to/from work. My K13 is the 4th he's done so far & as of yesterday mine's produced highest increase; previous was 14whp. He's done a number of K12's too.

2009 KGT makes me SMILE

Last edited by doc52; May 10th, 2010 at 7:26 am. Reason: type-O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 12:12 pm
Addict

[QUOTE! Also, if you don't mind, how much was the PC5 and parts, how costly was the Dynotune per Lillard[/QUOTE]

my 1300s runs fine but i'd be interested in how much it cost too.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Sheep

doc52...
Absolutely no delays anymore with throttle response at any RPM/weather conditions. I couldn't find a single place, particularly east of Raleigh, who knew what to do on Beemers. Ron Ayers in Greenville, NC has dyno and big PC installer but won't do BMW's. Be sure you go to someone who has experience on these and isn't intimidated by the brand.
Wellcraft...
PC5 (no autotune) costs $295 (no add'l parts). The 2hrs of custom dyno time/mapping with install adds $300. Dave L. will milk every bit possible on your particular bike. They'll tell you a K bike is about worst install because so much has to be taken apart to get to injectors. He's done quite a few K's, meticulous, & won't fudge numbers on the reliable DynoJet.

My bike ran well too (how much power do we really need?), but the PC5 will smooth everything out & sharpen response. I'm a torque/response guy rather than brute hp addict. If you plan on keeping the bike longterm or if you're just a fussy performance nut, the expense is worth it. I didn't want to "experiment" with booster plug. Bike is just transformed to another level, and whatever your fuel mileage is right now, it should stay about the same - confirmed on mine. Just go to the link up top and communicate directly with Dave.

David

Last edited by Sheep; May 10th, 2010 at 1:44 pm.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
doc52...
Absolutely no delays anymore with throttle response at any RPM/weather conditions. I couldn't find a single place, particularly east of Raleigh, who knew what to do on Beemers. Ron Ayers in Greenville, NC has dyno and big PC installer but won't do BMW's. Be sure you go to someone who has experience on these and isn't intimidated by the brand.
Wellcraft...
PC5 (no autotune) costs $295 (no add'l parts). The 2hrs of custom dyno time/mapping with install adds $300. Dave L. will milk every bit possible on your particular bike. They'll tell you a K bike is about worst install because so much has to be taken apart to get to injectors. He's done quite a few K's, meticulous, & won't fudge numbers on the reliable DynoJet.

My bike ran well too (how much power do we really need?), but the PC5 will smooth everything out & sharpen response. I'm a torque/response guy rather than brute hp addict. If you plan on keeping the bike longterm or if you're just a fussy performance nut, the expense is worth it. I didn't want to "experiment" with booster plug. Bike is just transformed to another level, and whatever your fuel mileage is right now, it should stay about the same - confirmed on mine. Just go to the link up top and communicate directly with Dave.

David
Thank You! will email DL right away, the expense seems worth it to me!

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:49 pm
Noob

PC and Dynotune

Sheep,

Were you able to get the PC, install and custom map all at D.L.? If so, was he able to do everything in the same day? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust, or are your performance gains with the stock exhaust can? I've got a 2007 K1200R Sport that I love, but would love to smooth out, and increase, the power delivery.

Dave
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 3:12 am

How is your idling post-tune? I know stock it's a little unsteady and wavering, at least as a sound.

Howabout at low rpm and engine braking when the exhaust valve closes? Is it completely smooth or is there a 'transition' like stock?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 11:58 am
Sheep

DaveS,

Yes, all was done on the same day. I'm over 200mi away from Yorktown, then missed a turn and ended up getting there about 45min later than wanted. A tech pulled all the tupperware, tank, etc, etc installed the PC module, then put it back together right after lunch. Then he handed it over to Dave Lillard. He started the base run around 2pm and finished around 4pm, then back to tech to reinstall the tupperware. The module sits under seat on top of ECU.

I have K&N filters (decided against Evo's as I can't stand the noticeable intake noise) and my exhaust is custom-fabbed 304ss from connector joint right behind the flapper valve with a 2" str thru ceramic packed 14" can from Dale Walker. (see pic below). Even the OEM guard & screws were used to fabricate OEM type mounting points. I can pull it and install the OEM can in 30min and it goes back to exactly stock. Obviously, the cat is eliminated. BTW, the exhaust does not have to be removed to change rear tire because the muff is so much narrower than OEM, and I had my panniers on when the exhaust was done to there is plenty of clearance. I've used Denny's shop up in Trenton to build all kinds of custom exhausts for street and track stuff. Don't know anybody else closer to do it. Prefer the "old-school" type of cannisters with no emblems... clean, simple.

The exh flapper valve on K13 knocks down a LOT of noise so mine is quite calm until I pull a full throttle. Purpose of valve is to build torque and I'm a torque guy anyway.

Any other questions, feel free to send a PM as I might miss posts here.

Regards, David

Last edited by Sheep; Jun 12th, 2010 at 1:15 pm.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saba
How is your idling post-tune? I know stock it's a little unsteady and wavering, at least as a sound.

Howabout at low rpm and engine braking when the exhaust valve closes? Is it completely smooth or is there a 'transition' like stock?
Saba:
I didn't really have idling issues after v14.2 update. Just remember, the bike is still controlled by the ECU; the PC just adjusts the fueling efficiently/evenly. Everything is dead smooth throughout entire curve; throttle response is razor sharp everywhere (slightest tweak in throttle and it's instant go, no delay); no sloppy response or unsteady idling. You could ride the thing all day doing tight figure 8's in a tight space with your hand resting on the throttle and the motor won't stumble/buck, thus no noisy backlash through driveline. The exhaust flappers never fully open until you're full throttle, so if you're slowing down coming to a stop the valve doesn't suddenly slam shut and cause an issue. With a PC on the K13, there is no "transition"... it's all seamless. From everything I've seen posted by K12 owners about idling and throttle issues, they benefit more from a PC seemingly 'cause there was more slop there in first place.

The K12S's are more peaky with redline 1000rpm's higher, while the K13s is more a torque motor with just one huge steady surge of power through entire curve. Dave has tuned a LOT of K's and has found the hp of both motors is very close, though the torque clearly goes to K13.

Dave had found that if a bike gets lower gas mileage than typical, then it would most likely stay on the lower side, and opposite for those getting higher mileage. This bike has always gotten superb gas mileage, generally averaging 46.5-47 all around. Since I've had the PC on for a 1000mi, it's been almost 49mpg riding same way in same areas.

Gains will always vary from bike to bike, and very much affected by temps during the dyno runs (base and peak custom) and the dyno operator and his dyno. Dave's been tuning for 20yrs.

BMW's v14.2 cured the worst of the throttle issues and decel stalling, but experiencing the PC custom map, I'd absolutely do it again though not cheap. I use the bike like most families use their cars, and the bike is so much more enjoyable when tuned!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode