Helmet Cleaning - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2010, 5:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Helmet Cleaning

Just bought an Arai Corsair V. The owner's manual says to only use soap and water to clean the helmet...it specifically says not to use any cleaners (even those supposedly made for cleaning visors). I had been planning to use Plexus to clean the helmet (and the visor). Any thoughts on whether this will really damage the helmet/visor?

2010 K1300S (Tri-Color)
2007 M6 Convertible (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Veteran

With soap and water you tend to clean and rinse..with cleaners your just rubbing the grime around and not really rinsing anything away...you'll get minor scratches from rubbing that stuff around...I just put mine over the sink and spray with water than a soaking of dish detergent on a soft cloth that is drenched and lightly run it over the shield and rinse...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2010, 7:24 pm
Enthusiast

Not sure Plexus puts out a level that I would trust on my visor. Don't know of any coatings the visor might have, but the level 1-3 polishes and scratch removers are too course, I feel, to use on something you want to be able to look through in the sun with no ill effects. Mild soap and water only....and the pin-lock fog shields are even softer (and tell you that) they are emphatic you only use mild soap and water and a very soft drying cloth......NO PAPER or it will scratch. As far as the body of the helmet, their big concern is likely chemicals degrading the product and reducing its ability to withstand impact. I think I would just for the heck of it, trust the helmet maker in this case....

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2010, 8:37 am
Noob

I believe you're thinking of Novus plastic polish, not Plexus the plastic cleaner. I've used Plexus on my helmets (Arai) and windshields with no ill effect. Of course mild soap and water probably works just as well, but may not be as convenient when on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K12RS
Not sure Plexus puts out a level that I would trust on my visor. Don't know of any coatings the visor might have, but the level 1-3 polishes and scratch removers are too course, I feel, to use on something you want to be able to look through in the sun with no ill effects. Mild soap and water only....and the pin-lock fog shields are even softer (and tell you that) they are emphatic you only use mild soap and water and a very soft drying cloth......NO PAPER or it will scratch. As far as the body of the helmet, their big concern is likely chemicals degrading the product and reducing its ability to withstand impact. I think I would just for the heck of it, trust the helmet maker in this case....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:56 pm

Had a side pod on my Arai crack after a couple of years and Arai told me it was because I had used windex on occasion to clean the shield. Seems the ammonia reacts with the plastic pods and makes them brittle. Arai sent me NEW pods free of charge to replace the cracked one anyway. Great customer support from them always.

Now: K1300S Lava Orange
Then: R1100s, CBR929RR, YZF 600, Triumph Sprint ST, VFR750, K75S, GS1150E, GS550E, GS750E, KZ550, GT 380
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:12 am
Enthusiast

Yep Novus not Plexus

TiFry
Yep, you are right, It was Novus I was thinking of.....

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode