Possible to switch just tire pressure to PSI in on board computer? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Possible to switch just tire pressure to PSI in on board computer?

Hi there, looked everywhere in the manual without luck. Here in Canada, we're running in km's, Celsius and L/100 km, of course. But for tire pressure, we still commonly use PSI, instead of bar. Is it possible to switch just that in the on board computer for the tire pressure monitoring system? I'm pretty sure on my BMW car I can pick which things I want imperial, and which metric, so hoping that's the case, instead of all metric (which is what it is now) vs. all imperial (which I don't want either).

09 Tri-colour K1300S with all the goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99
Hi there, looked everywhere in the manual without luck. Here in Canada, we're running in km's, Celsius and L/100 km, of course. But for tire pressure, we still commonly use PSI, instead of bar. Is it possible to switch just that in the on board computer for the tire pressure monitoring system? I'm pretty sure on my BMW car I can pick which things I want imperial, and which metric, so hoping that's the case, instead of all metric (which is what it is now) vs. all imperial (which I don't want either).
I may be wrong, but probably not. What I know for sure - you can't switch between metric/imperial without the allmighty BMW shop computer. It means, even if it's possible, only a dealer can do it.
I don't undestand why such a simple fuction is not available to a user. My only guess is, that it's another way for BMW to grab an easy money. Enjoy!

Last edited by ZR1000A1; May 25th, 2010 at 4:31 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2010, 5:14 pm
Sheep

This really doesn't help you with your preference for display's unit of measurement... it's just another possibility on the bike. I didn't like the TPM's on my K13S so I pulled them, de-programmed the ECU, and installed a forged Ariete 90-d angled anodized blue stem on rear wheel (pic below) after I had both wheels powdercoated metallic blue. The removal can be easily reversed too. Made it so much easier to get tire pressure readings between the spokes on a gauge and adding air at stations. The tire pressures shown on the display were showing at least 3psi more than actual. Also, the wheels now balance with slightly less weight without the sending units inside the rims... maybe a coincidence.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2010, 1:45 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I've got my first service coming up, so I'll ask the dealer and see if I can get it done for free... Those buggers!

Sweet ride Sheep, love the wheel colour!

Yeah, the TPMS system is a bit too fancy for my liking too. I tried to read up on it after once taking the tire pressures manually, which didn't match what the computer said, to figure out what the heck was going on, and it said how "The tire inflation pressures are shown temperature compensated", and this bloody complicated way of figuring out what your gauge says vs. how much you really have, and how much to add...

Temperature compensation

The tire inflation pressures are
shown temperature-compensated
in the multifunction display;
they refer to a tire air temperature
of 68 F (20 C). As the airpressure
testers at filling stations
show a temperature-dependent
tire inflation pressure, they do
not match the values indicated in
the multifunction display in most
cases.

Adjusting inflation pressure

Compare the TPC/RDC value in
the multifunction display with the
value on the back cover of the
Rider's Manual. The difference
between the two values must be
compensated with the air pressure
tester at the filling station.

Example: According to the
Rider's Manual, the tire inflation
pressure is to be 36.3 psi
(2.5 bar), however 33.4 psi
(2.3 bar) is shown in the
multifunction display, i.e. it is low
by 2.9 psi (0.2 bar). The tester at
the filling station indicates 34.8
psi (2.4 bar). This value must be
increased by 2.9 psi (0.2 bar) to
37.7 psi (2.6 bar) to produce the
correct tire inflation pressure.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:04 am
Rookie

I got mine switched from bar to psi no prob at the dealer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 1:02 pm
Enthusiast

Was in 'only' the pressure that was changed? Or did everything have to go from metric to English units?

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Rookie

It was all metric on my bike, So I just wanted the bar chaged to psi and thats what they did.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2010, 1:15 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Update from me. As others said, I went to dealer during a service, and they just changed that from bar to PSI.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2010, 7:41 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
This really doesn't help you with your preference for display's unit of measurement... it's just another possibility on the bike. I didn't like the TPM's on my K13S so I pulled them, de-programmed the ECU, and installed a forged Ariete 90-d angled anodized blue stem on rear wheel (pic below) after I had both wheels powdercoated metallic blue. The removal can be easily reversed too. Made it so much easier to get tire pressure readings between the spokes on a gauge and adding air at stations. The tire pressures shown on the display were showing at least 3psi more than actual. Also, the wheels now balance with slightly less weight without the sending units inside the rims... maybe a coincidence.

how much they charged u to powercoat the weels ...i need to do mine also
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2010, 2:43 pm
Addict

This whole bar system of measuring pressure just doesn't seem as accurate a unit of measure to me. 2.5 bar gives you 25 increments of measurement where 36 PSI gives you 36 units of measure easier to fine tune IMO anyway.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode