good grief... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2010, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
Addict

good grief...

Picked my bike up from service, about 1900 bucks worth (06, K12S), rode it to my home garage about 10 miles away in phoenix, packed up my bike for the trip to socal the next morn...

I get about 2 miles from the house and the red lamp lights up with flashing overheat/temp gage. Huh??

turn it around, all the coolant leaked out I found once I got in the driveway...I rode the bike home that way and I'm hoping no damage to engine, it was a cool morning and I kept the R's down..

so they picked it up to re-work.....sure was running good too.

Bill was high because of new tires and also, I had all the coils replaced during the 72k service they did (about 77k on the bike at the time) and my first coils went around 40k miles. Those were about 130 bucks each.

like I said, good grief. Sure glad I didn't get stranded farther out in the desert or worse yet, melt an engine before I noticed a problem.

By the way, went back to the Z6 Metz tires. I'm done with the PR2's, experiment over. Can't believe how weird the front tire wears (starts to wash out in the turns around 4k miles). I like the way they handle but I don't like the higher-mileage characteristics, typical for Michilen tires in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well just FYI it looks like an air bubble trapped in there, plenty of fluid left in the system otherwise. They'll have me fixed up by the weekend. Shitz happens, its a good shop and I plan to continue doing biz there. I'm just glad its something relatively simple to fix, I need to put another 100k or 2 on this thing before its done
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm
Sheep

It's good to hear about what's up on the higher mileage bikes. Curious, do you know who makes the coil packs for your bike, and if BMW is still using same supplier on current K's?

Having had German turbo cars in past, some experienced premature failure of coil packs, but the engines which came with the Hitachi's rarely had problems. Of course, bike motors are turning over twice that of cars.

Hope you've got it all squared away now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 1:48 pm Thread Starter
Addict

They are trying to figure out how it happened, ie, checking their gages/equipment, etc. I should have it back soon. Man that thing ran better than ever too, can't wait to get back on it!

Not sure what coils, I just know mine went out about 40k and its a labor intensive job so...in they went, saves me a bunch on labor not to mention towing!

In Scottsdale the dealer told me coil replacement was common on the LEO bikes due to the heat here. I'm all over but its hot all over in the summer so I'm not taking chances.

I guess I could dig up the receipt and see if it shows what coils they put in, I'll take a look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode