Red Brake Failure light on..... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Red Brake Failure light on.....

Left the house tonight to go to local Bike Night on my 08 K1200S.Only had the bike
3 weeks.As I was booging down the road red brake failure stayed lit,
Pulled over,turned key off and on a few times,made a few hard stops frt and rear
brakes stopped fine.Checked rotor to see if they where hot,maybe draggin.they seemed good and wire leads calapers where intact. So rode to show and back with no problems
other then the red light.
Tomorrow will take a hard look at the system and see if I can finger out the problem.

iF ANY of you have a suggestoin,or clue/guess what I can check,pleasehit me with it.

I`m between two BMW dealers,they are both about a 300mi round trip,which I would love to avoid.

Thanks for any ideas.....JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 1:08 am
Addict

I know you can purposly turn off the linked brake system by holding down the brakes while starting the bike, but I don't know the details. Maybe you accidentally triggered this?

in any case, you can always reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and it should reset this error, and then see if it happens again.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 2:06 pm
Enthusiast

The other possibility is you have a failure of something in the system or sending unit pathway?

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:01 pm
Veteran

I'd take a look at the bulbs and their sockets. I got a few faults and turned out to be the bulb's center contact was a bit too loose making the brain think a bulb had blown. Bent them up a bit, and cleaned the things up with contact cleaner too. Mine were extremely loose in their sockets overall.

I also had one bulb that the filament was just barely making contact. It could thump it and the ohmmeter would go nuts. Just a small break, but it drove me nuts for a long time as it kept throwing a fault and people kept yelling at me that my lights were out in back. Ended up with a new lamp and it settled out.

Oh, BMW uses some odd bulb number that can be hard to locate in your neighborhood car parts place. Some Audi or Accura's dealers have them, and BMW car dealerships. I put in a cross-referenced one and it last about 2 weeks before it blew. One from the motorcycle dealer is stilling working a year later. I keep a spare now.

Mack
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tried disconnect battery,still red.
Also after close inspection,rear pads seem worn (9,000 mi)
Will replace rear pads first of week.
Local MC shop carries EBC pads.Should be OK? Lot cheaper then BMW,
but isn`t everything?

Good tip on carrying a spare bulb,GMack....
Thanks....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2010, 1:53 am

Do you have ABS? If so, you could have a sensor problem. The front one can be damaged if the wheel is installed incorrectly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:02 am
Addict

I had trouble with the mircro switch near the grip before, might want to check that.

Also, if the final drive is going and you don't know it (like happened to me), the faulty drive will eat a brake sensor back there and cause the light to stay on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 6:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Still chasing my tail.Changed back pads,they where toast.All though rear brakes improved
right away,light still on.Front all ways very good.
Pulled out and cleaned sensors(frt./back).Will play around a few more days and then I
guess I`ll have to haul to dealer....JR
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:55 am
Rookie

This red light is not familiar for me, so I can't give any hint about it.
Switching on/off or disconnecting battery does not empty any memory, so only way to empty it is to use electronic equipment which dealer has. Or what I can suggest, GS-911.

By that you are able to locate possible problems immediately by reading log and also you can empty log. It will cost some 400+ USD, I am not sure about todays price. I bought it after visiting dealer some 3-4 times and after I had paid some 100 USD / time just for log reading. Plus additionally replacing one brakehandle with fluid reservoir because dealer computer told that to be a problem and after replacing it dealer showed me that their equipment shows message: "Change entire hydraulics". I did not allow that and resetting log healed the bike! Nothing needed to repair.

So, this was not answer to your question, but just idea how to locate problem easily without driving some 300 miles to dealer.

By the way. In case that you have a problem in ABS unit, you will get warning light on, ABS is not working at all but brakes are working as normal brakes. This is the way they are designed.

Regards
Leiboshi

You cannot replace power. Except by more power

Leiboshi
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 4:21 am
Addict

Hey Blownranger, I dont want to wreck your day but I have had this twice on my GT and both times I have required the ABS Modulator to be replaced.
If you have ABS you might find that you have this problem.
If you are under warranty, no probs, if not the part is about $3000.
Good luck!

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode