ECU Full Throttle Reset - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2006, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

ECU Full Throttle Reset

Looking at the recent thread on vibration it seems a full throttle run on a dyno cleared vibration problems that were initially suspected as fuel related. I've found a clear description of the ECU reset procedure that gives ign on (not running) and full throttle range 3 times then ign off. Please correct me if I've got this wrong. This apparently gives a fully opened throttle position to the ECU.

Is it necessary to actually run the bike under hard full throttle accelleration and maybe to top revs and speed to develop a full power ECU setting/window. Logic suggests this is the only way to really generate a full power ECU setting with ram air effect. I know there are a heap of ambient variations that also have effects but somewhere near the mark is better than no reference point at all.

Is information on the ECU data acquisition periods and duration available. Anyone investigated the ECU "learning curve" yet ?

Cheers
Lenz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 6:08 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OK guys I'm not looking for volunteers for experimental surgery, just the benefit of peoples experience. If this subject has been covered already maybe some leads on the info ?

Cheers
Lenz
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:21 am

No, you don't need to run it WFO for it to "learn" its fuel
map. Think about it; you would have to go run it 170 somewhere
after battery replacement? That's logic?

I've only heard the ecu reset being twice to max
and back. This is more for the TPS than anything else.

Your vibe problem may just be low miles, they do tend to smooth out.

I'm sure someone will do chips for it, and there's not any ecu maps
that i know of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2
No, you don't need to run it WFO for it to "learn" its fuel
map. Think about it; you would have to go run it 170 somewhere
after battery replacement? That's logic?
Yes I agree on the unlikely need to run at max after a battery replacement. As I understand it, existing "learnt" ECU settings (or whatever it does) are retained for a number of hours through the use of a capacitor which maintains adequate temporary system voltage to retain memory/settings. Please correct me if I've got it wrong - this is another learning experience for me.

I am more interested in the "learning" process used by the ECU. Show me a carbie and I'm reasonably competent but there's a lot more going on with closed and open loop engine management, compulsory emission testing points and "intelligent" ECU's than I could possibly have a bad dream about.

The recent info about the vibe elimination after a max power dyno run has possibly shown the need for a wide open throttle while running. Is this range contained within an open loop performance section that is not on the chip but must be "learnt" or acquired through physical experience. One step further from a wide open dyno run is an under way run which adds in the ram air. If a full power dyno run has been shown to produce positive effects then "what if" with ram air early in the ECU learning period.

Any knowledgable folk care to shed a little light on this ?

Cheers
Lenz
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:34 pm

reset ECU

Seems very very unlikely to me that you would have to run it at wide open. My experience from training with most major auto manufacturers since the beginning of computer controlled carburetors, and then later EFI, is that the system is in open loop at WOT, in effect disconnecting the O2 sensor.

If this is the case on our bikes, and I suspect it is, there would be no way for the PCM (computer) to know what the fuel mixture is at WOT in order to reset the PCM in any meaningful way.

Of course, there could always be new developments I'm not aware of.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Enthusiast

i think everyone missed what i was saying earlier about the dyno run-in. it has nothing to do with the ecu - the hard running helps to seat the piston rings, which in turn helps the motor run smoother by allowing each cylinder to provide the same amount of power.

as to the reset and learning of the ecu, this is just to reset the t.p.s. (throttle position sensor). on older fuel injection systems, you had to manually rotate the t.p.s. to set it. nowadays, the t.p.s. stays and the ecu just "relearns" minimum & maximum values.

hope this helps.

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:40 am

[email protected] dealership told me 3 times after battery placed back in service and when I complained about vibrations said to take the bike to red line each day in 1st gear after being warmed up and it worked.......smooth now! (2450mi)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2006, 7:32 pm
Just saying hey

Check page 115 of the owners manual. It says to turn on the ignition and then open the throttle once or twice. Also according to dynojet, if I remember right they said that at 80% to wide open throttle the fuel system is in the open loop mode and just runs off the map in the computer. They were working on a power commander for the 12S but Dusty said that it was very difficult to install which may be why it never came out.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheck5
Check page 115 of the owners manual. It says to turn on the ignition and then open the throttle once or twice. Also according to dynojet, if I remember right they said that at 80% to wide open throttle the fuel system is in the open loop mode and just runs off the map in the computer. They were working on a power commander for the 12S but Dusty said that it was very difficult to install which may be why it never came out.
I'll give Dusty a call on this. He has done a few of my bikes..........!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode