Hi Way pegs on KS... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2010, 7:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Way pegs on KS...

Just returned from my first long day in the saddle on 4 week old KS.
Around 300 mile. First 200 ok,felt a little pain on way home.
Hands and wrist a litte sore from thottle and long pull clutch lever(Pazzios on the way)
But was getting to me most was knees! I`m 6`3 and dispite already lowering the pegs,
on the long runs they really tighten up.If only I could strech my legs a little!
Has anyone mounted foot pegs directly to the farings?
They seem a little flimsy,but a plate or large fender washers on the inside behind a pair
of bolt on foot pegs should work?
The trick would be to find a set that wouldn`t look too bad or gaudy.Not the ones from
the Harley store.
I know it would be a sin to drill a hole in the farings,but on a long hiway they would
make the tripp a lot more comfortable and Old Fart frendly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:23 am
Sheep

What bike did you have previous to the K13? Did you get a chance to test-ride one of these for a while to get a feel for the ergonomics? Do not mount pegs on your fairings... looks terrible, few would buy the bike/poor trade value, and if you drop the thing you'll have major damage to fairings. Plus with the forward lean and stretched-out legs you may find that the tight "flying C" position is even worse.

I'm average size, but almost any bike requires period of adaptation and that was especially true of the K13S because it was my first bike that had semi-aggressive sport ergos. Had lots of pain in palms, wrists, elbows and stiffness in knees due to neck trauma from accidents, but as I rode the bike more and more and over long distances the pain went away. The bike has been very comfortable for a long while now and have been on 600mi/day rides, though every 200mi one gets a stretch-out at refills and potty breaks.

The only adjustment I've ever had to make is using a Throttle Rocker to reduce wrist tension on the stiffer BMW throttle spring compared to previous Suzukis.

150-mi upward rides on commonplace for me and have put over 20K miles on the bike in year and quarter. A motorcycle is essentially primary transportation to me; car gets used during rain and moving large objects/trailering.

Give yourself more time and long rides. If nothing improves, you probably should have bought a K13GT.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Was thinking will R&G sliders double as hw pegs in a pinch?
Does anyone have them on their KS?
How are they positioned to rest your legs on a long,straight,boring road?
They are a little stubby,is there enough room for your feet?

On my R1200R I have SWMotech crash bars and they are perfect to streach
your legs out.

Sheep;Actually I find the ergos on the K1200S quite good,better then the R12
infact the sit up and beg is fine (with Sargent seat) around town/traffic but on
long distance rides the K feels better to me.
Been using thottle rockers for years,they help alot.

But like I said,after 250 mi I was longing for H Pegs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Sheep

Sounds like you'll work around it somehow to get some stretch-out. I loved the R12R too, but have really like the K's ergos... seat is more comfy since it's wider. Good luck.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 7:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs down

Thanks Sheep for your reply.
Been a few days since long ride,and starting to realize HW pegs on
a KS is not a brillient idea....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:36 am
Addict

just straighten your legs off the pegs every once in a while, wouldn't that help?

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 2:11 pm
Noob

Have you considered the peg lowering kits (as sold on Pirates site.) I use the Evoluzione version and am quite happy.

John

K1200S
R1200C
R75/5
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:46 am
Noob

I recently purchased my used K13S from a gentleman in Denver, CO. Flew out from LAX and rode the bike home. I also experienced wrist pain and some knee discomfort. For leg relief, I would put my feet on the passenger pegs. I think it's worth noting that for the 1200 mile trip, I wore my Aerostich suit, which I believe contributed to my knee pain somewhat - the angle of my lower leg caused the suit to pull tight over my knee.

I also recently installed the R&G sliders and can tell you there isn't enough room to put your feet on them. I guess that's not to say you couldn't mount longer sliders in the same positions. Also worth noting that they are not in the same location on either side.

For the wrist problem, I've order some IDI bar risers that I hope will help fix the problem.

I'm 5'11"

I am also considering some rearsets or peg lowering, but I want to wait and see what affect the new bars have.

I have some more detail/info posted on my site if you're interested.

Good luck with your research/mods

Cheers,
-Jack
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:36 pm

Knee pain

I just did a week end trip to New Mexico, 830 miles one way. left on friday,thundershowers in Flagstaff, was a great lightning show before rain. Took about 12 hours to get there. On the way home my knees were hurting and the usual standing wasn't working so I started laying prone on the bike letting the wind lift my legs which works great at 95 mph. I'm only 5' 5.5" so i don't worry about feet hitting ground. For the wrists I concentrate on relaxing my grip, believe me I was a white knuckle rider.
The trip home was good only 11.5 hours no rain just 8 hours of 90 to 100 degrees which toasted me. when I got off the freeway at Redondo Beach I could feel the cool ocean air 6 miles from the ocean.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 2:42 pm
Enthusiast

This will help.

Mike M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode