Here's a different one - diagnostics system acting up - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Here's a different one - diagnostics system acting up

Tried to fire up the bike after work yesterday, but no luck. The computer and neutral light came on, but not the red to amber lights indicating that the bike was going through its pre-ignition diagnostic checks. No diagnostics, no start button. Tried it on and off for an hour and finally had the bike towed to the shop.

And as Murphy's law would have it, the bike worked perfectly at the shop. I'm sure that something intermittent like that will be hard to trace. It's the first time it's happened to me, but the mechanic said he's seen it happen on other bikes. And for the record, I have 15k on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:00 pm
Sheep

Did you ever have the left and right combo switches done under recall? Intermittent non-starting was sign right one was going bad. Often gave no warning at all. I paid for my right one out-of-pocket to avoid being stranded as you were; I'm almost 170mi from nearest dealer, CapBMW. BMW faithfully reimbursed me at last service since the switches were under recall.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Switches were replaced about a year ago. It hasn't done it again, so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2010, 7:10 am Thread Starter

The shop couldn't find anything wrong, so I picked it up Thursday night. Worked fine on Friday morning's ride into work, and - you guessed it - did it again Friday afternoon. It's going back into the shop.

There are some leftover '09 Yamaha R6's going for cheap around my way. They're looking very tempting right now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2010, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Problem solved. It was the right switchgear. It apparently wasn't replaced when the left one was because it was out of stock.

It's all moot now, because the bike's going up for sale when I get it back. Nice bike, but a lot more than I can legally use on the street. It was great for the ego, but I'm doing track days now and can get my need for speed taken care of on the track.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode