Mounting tank bag on tail section - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2010, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mounting tank bag on tail section

The K12S tank bag has served me well but I bought a Marsee that has power outlets inside (so that I can keep my iPhone and other electronic items charged). I was thinking of selling the K12S bag but it'll make a handy tail pack so I think I'll keep it. Before I go slicing and dicing the mounting straps...

Has anybody mounted a K12S tank bag on the "passenger" seat?

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Rider
The K12S tank bag has served me well but I bought a Marsee that has power outlets inside (so that I can keep my iPhone and other electronic items charged). I was thinking of selling the K12S bag but it'll make a handy tail pack so I think I'll keep it. Before I go slicing and dicing the mounting straps...

Has anybody mounted a K12S tank bag on the "passenger" seat?
There's no need to slice or dice anything. You can find nylon strap material and a variety of high impact plastic buckles and clasps at your local Ace Hardware dealer. Most of these items should work with your factory tank bag.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Great idea. I installed the Marsee but have not tried putting the stock bag on the seat yet. Once I get it installed I'll post some pics of both.

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Rider
Great idea. I installed the Marsee but have not tried putting the stock bag on the seat yet. Once I get it installed I'll post some pics of both.
I hope you find what you need. FWIW, I discovered Ace when I went looking for some form of strapping to augment the factory straps that came with my BMW 55 liter tail bag (meant for the GS and K bike models) when I attempted to attach it to my RT. The end result was successful, I hope your efforts are too!

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:25 pm
Sheep

Yes, you could easily use your former tank bag behind you. Lots of ways to put "containers" on the K-S. I don't use ACE but another local hardware store for motorcycle gadgets.
Another bag variation on seat: I traded my OEM optional tail rack to a fellow for his std pinion rails + cash and actually lost almost nothing in ease of mounting luggage. I only use the sport panniers with a little, expandable roll bag, otherwise I can carry quite a bit with only the roll bag on the seat behind me. Below is pic of the small roll bag "out back." I can attach it transversely like this with the panniers or longitudinally. There is plenty of room to put a huge tail or roll bag there with or without the panniers.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:44 am
Enthusiast

Looks nice. I have the tail rack that I paid extra for when I got the bike, and I find that so far, I only carry a brief case on the back and that is on the seat. An expandable tailbag and loosing the tail rack looks good to me....and heading to the hardware store will make swapping my current RS expandable tank back to the S easy. Thanks folks!

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 1:25 pm
Sheep

Jim,

Yup, a great place to fasten a brief case on the flat area... I did same on my R12R, but now I stick my laptop, music binder, rain gear, etc in the expandable Saddlemen R1300XLE rollbag... very inexpensive (1300cu in; can be found online discounted in low $50's).

The tail rack seemed a useful option (I too paid extra for it at delivery) but once I got familiar with the bike's capabilities for luggage, I found it to be kind of silly and it sure did work against the S's sporty styling. Then BMW (at last check) has yet to offer a really good top case to fit on that rack which also seemed out of character... perhaps BMW deliberately did that to sell more GT's! The rear of seat has nice flat plane so stuff sits nicely back there. The little SS knobby mounts for the panniers make excellent tethering points for stuff behind you. It's easy enough to order the mounts/bolts even if you one doesn't have or want the panniers.

Last edited by Sheep; Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:36 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode