K1300S Tire Pressure Debate - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1300S Tire Pressure Debate

I just had my mechanic put Dunlop Q2 tires put on my K1300S which is fitted with TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring). The TPM warning went off immediately when I rode off, and so I went back to get the pressure fixed. He had put in 34psi and was reluctant to put in more. Note that he is a certified BMW tech, and works on a lot of high performance bikes. He said that if he put in the 42psi called for by the manual and the TPM, I would get improper wear on the tires. I couldn't ride with a flashing warning light winking at me all the time, so I had him air it up to 37psi, and now the TPM doesn't pester me. Looking at the tirewalls, they say max load 850lbs at 42psi. I ride it like the sports bike it is. What pressure should I run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2010, 1:57 pm
Sheep

At about 600mi on my bike it picked up a screw in the rear off center. I spotted it before alert came on. Had to make it back home 80mi and the alert did not come on until PSI dropped to 29lb. (Plugged tire myself with motorcycle plugs & got full service out of it.) I've been running the pressures called for in the manual... with the OEM Contis and now with PP2ct's (max 42psi) which I've been running ever since originals were changed out. No strange wear patterns on the tires at all. The front ones get a bit cuppy but that's fairly common on sport bikes where brakes are used hard in turns. Cert tech at my shop fills to 40lb on rear as he says 42 makes bike ride too harshly, which it does tend to. I've considered dropping rear down, but would not go as low as 34lb. Bike gets exceptional fuel mileage!

I removed my TPM's and had the ECU deprogrammed primarily so I could install a 90-deg forged alum Ariete on rear wheel which allows room for easier pressure adjustments at tire pumps. You can see it in pic below on the powdercoated wheel with the anodized blue Ariete. Seal is better than on OEM's.

Last edited by Sheep; Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:12 pm.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the info, Sheep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2010, 2:21 pm
Enthusiast

Tarnsman,
I can see having the pressure that low at the track, 34psi rear, but for street riding, I would be surprised to see that as an advantage with the weight of our bikes. I have not used a tire as soft as the Q, however, so, perhaps your canyon straifing is akin to being on the track at full lean all the time. And your mechanic is familiar with the tire and, I assume, your riding style.

I kept the Conti OEMs at manual recommended and got decent tread life, wear, and traction. Have the PR2ct and so far have run manual suggested 36/42 F/r and am getting consistent wear side to side, great traction in all conditions (no outright rain on these yet), so far with about 1500 miles. With ESA on Norm Solo w/Luggage, the 42 psi is fine with me, not too firm. But if I was to be going out simply for a day of twisties, I would likely drop 2psi to 5 psi front and rear. I do plan to try a Pure Power or Q for track day at end of August and for sure would run them at the lower psi. Probably tape over the indicator if it flashes? But, that would not be my preferred solution of choice for daily riding.

Sheep, earlier you asked what others thought of the grip on the PR2cts at the outside edge. I have full confidence in them. They are scuffing nicely to the edge and feel as good or better than the Conti's. They certainly feel WAY better in the cold and damp of the morning, yet even at 100+ in the late afternoon (3 hours of my 4 hr ride home) they were fantastic too. 102 in Sac at 3 pm then 55 damp and foggy at my houseon the coast at 7 PM

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2010, 3:01 pm
Sheep

Jim,

Was wondering how secure the PR's were holding on the fast curves hard over. We've had some blistering hot stuff this summer so I'm sure the PR's would have been fine; just not so sure when it drops below 40. Thanks for update, David.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:14 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman
... the tirewalls, they say max load 850lbs at 42psi. I ride it like the sports bike it is. What pressure should I run?
The 42psi on the sidewall is the maximum pressure, not a recommendation from the tire manufacture. The higher pressure provides better mileage and better rim protection from pot holes. Lower pressure provides better traction. You should play with different pressures and find what works better for your riding style.

My go-to numbers are 30/30 at the track (varies with the tire and temp), 32/36 for sport riding or cold or rainy commuting, and 36/42 for 2-up and commuting.

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:01 am
Sheep

Good reminder Shark but wish BMW would modify inflation pressure charts for various riding conditions/loads, though they won't add psi's for track use...LOL! Might try your 32/36 for a while and see how the PP2's react.

Last edited by Sheep; Jul 31st, 2010 at 11:16 am.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:13 pm
Addict

I use 39/43. Tires last longer and pot hole proof. I have seen some serious cupping on front tires with only 32 psi.

Jack Hawley
MOA #224
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2010, 2:39 pm
Enthusiast

Think I am going to play around with the pressures as well and see what the PR2s feel like. The 36/42 seems at the top for me (no two-up or touring on the S yet), especially now that my 'company' (Caltrans) has done a lot of dig-outs and repaved major sections of my standard commute route to Sac-n-back - 128 is WAAYY better from Rutherford Ranch to Lake Berryessa's Monticello dam. I'll try dropping 2 psi each this week and 'report back'

Sheep - regarding the lower temps, I only get those in the early early morning before the sun comes up and generally it is pretty damp so between lack of visibility/critters/wet, I generally don't push that hard in those temps. Then in more winter conditions, I generally take the RS with the large Aeroflow since it is a 4 hour ride and I tend to wuss out...

Jim Douglas
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Enthusiast

Ran out of time to get fuel so had to take the RS this week, maybe test the lower PSI next week...

Jim Douglas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode