Rough/Noisy Cold Starting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

Rough/Noisy Cold Starting

I have noticed that my 2009 K1300S makes a horrible sound for a fraction of a second when starting cold. After that fraction of a second it suddenly goes smooth and runs normally thereafter. This morning this noise lasted at least a whole second, maybe more. This does not happen when the engine is warm. Could this be an issue with the starter solenoid not disengaging quickly enough? Is this normal for the bike, or an issue with mine that I should have checked?

Current ride:
2009 K1300S ESA, GSA, ASC, TPM, Garmin 660 on BMW Tank Mount, R&G Sliders

Prior rides:
2007 K1200R RIP - Killed a deer and a fawn totaling bike.
2005 R1200GS - 5 Min on a K bike and I sold the tractor

My Blog:
http://nightsail.blogspot.com

Last edited by Tarnsman; Aug 2nd, 2010 at 1:49 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:55 am
Sheep

Go have it checked out, though you'll have to leave it overnight if it's only happening on cold starts. I'd want to be there when tech first starts bike so nobody calls you and says it's all normal. Is your battery in good shape?

Have never had any noise like the screeching, grinding sound associated with starter/ring gear... and you can see the bike's mileage in sig below. Perhaps your bike's starter is not as strong as should be. My K13S won't fire as soon as I touch starter button on first of day; it probably makes 2 crank revolutions before it explodes to life... has done that from day 1.

Mine has a straight pipe (no cat) on it and on first start of day, in the garage, the first cylinder that fires is so loud it hurts my ears a bit (no helmet on) probably because the very first cylinder's ignition literally blows the flapper valve wide open. Not a backfire per se. Nothing is out of normal; it's just a "happy morning bark."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:05 pm

Not to sound paranoid, but sounds like the description of a bad cam-chain tensioner. The 1200s had a lot of issues with it and it was supposedly remedied on the 1300 series, but your description almost matches theirs.

Now: K1300S Lava Orange
Then: R1100s, CBR929RR, YZF 600, Triumph Sprint ST, VFR750, K75S, GS1150E, GS550E, GS750E, KZ550, GT 380
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem21
Not to sound paranoid, but sounds like the description of a bad cam-chain tensioner. The 1200s had a lot of issues with it and it was supposedly remedied on the 1300 series, but your description almost matches theirs.
Oh noes! I just got off the phone with the owner of Cheshire Motorsports (independent shop I can trust) and he said he can't say anything without hearing it, but that it could be the starter or a cam chain, and as its under warranty suggested taking it to a dealer.

Current ride:

Prior rides:

My Blog:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Noob

Anything ever come of this. I am experiencing the same thing.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2010, 4:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I took it to the dealer in Tigard, Oregon and left it overnight. Came back the next morning and everyone crowded around while the owner started it. Nobody heard anything unusual when it started except me. I heard it clear as day, but until something actually breaks what can I do?

Current ride:

Prior rides:

My Blog:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:20 am
Noob

I agree with a previous post about the cam chain tensioner. I've had the problem on two different K1200s. Not sure if the issue is on the K13S, but I'd ask them about it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman
I took it to the dealer in Tigard, Oregon and left it overnight. Came back the next morning and everyone crowded around while the owner started it. Nobody heard anything unusual when it started except me. I heard it clear as day, but until something actually breaks what can I do?

Fascinating. I took my '06 to the dealer for it's 6K checkup and complained about the clunky tranny operation/shifting. The mechanic took it for a spin and claimed that he didn't experience anything unusual. Hmmm, imagine that.

Fast forward to my 12K checkup (different BMW dealer this time) and I complain about irregular fueling issues and stalling. They report back that nothing unusual was witnessed yet on my way home after said checkup THE FRIGGIN' BIKE STALLED ON ME!!!!!!!

By the way, they DID acknowledge that my bike's cam chain rattle issue exists and that it's a $1000 fix. Yes, I'm out of warranty so when I bitched about it they called the area service rep and he said "Tough shit," it's out of warranty.

There is no good will. Buyer beware.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 8:55 am
Noob

Mine (K13) has only done it once (very loud clatter on start) so far, and it's under warranty for a couple more years.........but it was very obvious when it happened, and it was gone the next time I started it back up. I called the dealer and there was no concern about "a noise on initial startup." Mine also has the latest software update and it has stalled twice when coming to a stop. No other issues for now. BTW, I love this bike.

Last edited by Maineroad; Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:04 pm.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Mine was replaced last year Oct of 2009
I have an '05 K1200S and when it started making the noise on mine the dealer Long Beach BMW, knew about the noise and how to fix it.It was the cam chain tensioner which was only $149 with labor of .5 hrs. I did have the extended warranty.
This is funny as I'm sure there was posts on this issue last year and seem to recall some guys doing the fix themselves.
good luck

Last edited by kennyg; Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:17 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode