Considering a Leo Vince Slip On for K1300S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 1:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Considering a Leo Vince Slip On for K1300S

Another owner is planning to sell his K1300S, and I am considering buying his Leo Vince titanium slip on. He has already taken it off his bike so I don't have the opportunity to hear it. These bikes are very rare in my part of the country, so I haven't had the opportunity to hear one with an aftermarket pipe, let alone ride one. What do you guys think? Anyone use a Leo Vince, or other pipe on their K13S? Should I hold out for an Akrapovic, or stay stock? Opinions by those with firsthand experience with a K1300S and an aftermarket pipe welcomed.

I should note that my goal is not increased performance, but rather a better sound note than the Dyson vacuum cleaner/sewing machine I have now (not necessarily just louder).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:09 pm

You were very specific about wanting K13 feedback but even though I'm a lowly K12 owner with a Leo Vince I thought I'd chime in with my experience. My K12 came with a beautiful but very %^$#&$* loud Two Brothers pipe that I later purchased a baffle for to no avail. I replaced it with a LV after talking to the folks at Evoluzione and have been very happy with it. The pipe has a nice growl to it without hurting my ears and pissing off my neighbors not to mention other motorists driving alongside me.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:08 pm

I have the Akra, but got a great deal on it otherwise I'd be looking elsewhere. It does sound great w/o the baffle, not too loud, just menacing.....

Now: K1300S Lava Orange
Then: R1100s, CBR929RR, YZF 600, Triumph Sprint ST, VFR750, K75S, GS1150E, GS550E, GS750E, KZ550, GT 380
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky
You were very specific about wanting K13 feedback but even though I'm a lowly K12 owner with a Leo Vince I thought I'd chime in with my experience.
I was specific because there are a lot more threads relating to the K12 than the K13, but your feedback is really appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem21
I have the Akra, but got a great deal on it otherwise I'd be looking elsewhere. It does sound great w/o the baffle, not too loud, just menacing.....
"Menacing" ... that's a perfect sound!

Current ride:
2009 K1300S ESA, GSA, ASC, TPM, Garmin 660 on BMW Tank Mount, R&G Sliders

Prior rides:
2007 K1200R RIP - Killed a deer and a fawn totaling bike.
2005 R1200GS - 5 Min on a K bike and I sold the tractor

My Blog:
http://nightsail.blogspot.com
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 2:03 pm
Sheep

Tarnsman,

I've posted this several times elsewhere, but I had a pro exhaust guy I've used for years on hi-perf cars fabricate a connector pipe to an inexpensive Holeshot.com (Dale Walker) 14" long polished can with str thru 2" core (obviously no cat) which never changes sound with the ceramic packing. K13's have a flapper valve in the exhaust at collector (not removed on mine) which makes K13's with exact same muffs on K12's a LOT quieter. You would think with the shorty muffler this thing would be wicked loud... absolutely not. The flapper valves are never wide open unless you've got the throttle ripped hard, so at ANY steady speed you only hear no more than a modest purr back there; it wouldn't even bother a pinion. I can't stand really loud exhausts on bikes. I personally prefer simple, round mufflers with no logo for a clean appearance. Holeshot (Calif) also offers muffs in optional black case, smaller core, varying lengths, dB killers, with or without logo for further customization. Also, Dale can repair the muffler if you should ever happen to damage it.

There was no way I was going to pay $900 for Akra or other. Emissions in this state for MC's are lenient so losing the cat was no big deal. The total cost this setup (silencer, materials in 304SS, tig weld, labor) was $400. Don't have to remove the muffler for wheel/tire changes and designed so I can swap OEM muffler back on in 20min. Notice also the guy used the OEM exhaust guard/screws. Pic also shows how it easily clears luggage. One day I'll go up there and have him cut the connector a bit shorter so the muff can be moved forward another 2-3" or so for look's sake. No rattles and just a beautiful sound from Katie, plus removed over 10lb of useless weight. Just an alternative but not everyone has access to a pro exhaust guy... stay away from typical muffler shops unless they specialize in truly custom work. Denny spent 4hrs building this system for the K13S.

Last edited by Sheep; Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:12 am.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 3:32 pm
Noob

Thumbs up

I'm also considering the LV for my K1300s - I like the looks of it and the price is a little more realistic.

If you end up getting it, be sure to post pics and a video if you can.

Cheers,
-Jack

rhinoWErX
IBA #30079
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 6:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
Tansman,

I've posted this several times elsewhere, but I had a pro exhaust guy I've used for years on hi-perf cars fabricate a connector pipe to an inexpensive Holeshot.com (Dale Walker) 14" long polished can with str thru 2" core (obviously no cat) which never changes sound with the ceramic packing.
That is fantastic, your bike looks really good. I enjoy solutions that make my bike unique and my own, and have a lot of respect for guys who do the same rather than simply off the shelf with a particular brand label. Unfortunately I don't know any exhaust guys in my area, and would probably want a bit larger differently shaped can, so will probably go with the LV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinowerx
I'm also considering the LV for my K1300s - I like the looks of it and the price is a little more realistic.

I just spoke with my mechanic at Cheshire Motorsports. They use the Leo Vince on their racebikes, and says they have really come into their own, and have excellent quality. I asked about Akrapovic, and he said that unless I was going to go with entire ti exhaust system from Akrapovic, I wouldn't see a practical difference for the money.

I will definitely post pics and video when I do the switch!

Current ride:
2009 K1300S ESA, GSA, ASC, TPM, Garmin 660 on BMW Tank Mount, R&G Sliders

Prior rides:
2007 K1200R RIP - Killed a deer and a fawn totaling bike.
2005 R1200GS - 5 Min on a K bike and I sold the tractor

My Blog:
http://nightsail.blogspot.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinowerx

Cheers,
-Jack
Here's my LV in carbon fiber on the bumblebee. Oh, and it's menacing too without being obnoxious.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:10 am
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman
That is fantastic, your bike looks really good. I enjoy solutions that make my bike unique and my own, and have a lot of respect for guys who do the same rather than simply off the shelf with a particular brand label. Unfortunately I don't know any exhaust guys in my area, and would probably want a bit larger differently shaped can, so will probably go with the LV.....!
These specialty exhaust shops are rare, so if you don't have a guy that can do that stuff, then stick with something off the shelf that you like... these bikes need something to bring out some "tonal" character in them. Incidentally, the only guy (closest one anyway) on east coast who does this kind of one-off custom work I know of is 560mi away from me in coastal NC up in Trenton, NJ! Can't even find anyone around Charlotte area where all the NASCAR heads are! Good luck.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:28 am
Looking for better limits...

I think you'll like the LV. I have the K1300GT with one installed. With the baffle in, it's there, but not going to get anyone upset. Take it out, and it sounds mo' bettah, but the growl is there, too. Best of both worlds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode