K12 Non Starter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

K12 Non Starter

Hi all,
I am new to this forum having only had the bike about 4 months or so and having been extremely impressed with her to date. I will give my views on what I think of it in due course but I have a problem that perhaps someone who might have had a similar issue, could help me with.
Whilst out in the middle of North Wales on Sunday afternoon, the fuel warning came on and I travelled approx. 15 miles further when she cut out (I presumed, through fuel starvation!). There was fuel in the tank but she simply wouldn't restart. Topped her up and still no joy. Managed to get the bike home thanks to a really good friend with a Transit!
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me a few ideas as to where to start.
I'm pretty sure it's not a fueliing problem and am leaning toward electrical issues.
Been in touch with my local BM dealer and need to wait 2-3 weeks before they can look at her. (hmmmm!)
I am pretty good with mechanical checks and repairs and the bike had a full BMW service at the end of June. She has covered less than 9000 miles.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Regards - Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 7:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

K12S Non starting update

Hi all.

Quick update on my non starting issue.

Been away for a couple of weeks so have not had chance to have a fiddle until today and I have another question !! (or two)
The bike starts with a small amount of etha sprayed into the air intakes (I stress small amount as I don't want to cause any damage with this stuff!!) then cuts out when it has been used up. This leads me to suspect a fueliing problem and in particular, the fuel pump. With running the tank low, Is it possible that I may have damaged the pump due to the unit over heating? and, is there an easy way of checking that the fuel pump is working without major surgery??

Have checked the price of a new unit at around the 300 mark so don't want to replace it if that's not the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 8:55 am
JCW
contributor

open the gas cap and listen as youturn the key to start. don't hit the starter button. on a car, you can hear the pump running as you turn the key from off to on.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:02 pm
Sheep

I routinely run this K13S's tank down to the point where it's consistently needing 4.3gal to fill it... even to 4.7gal several times. Currently 21K miles on bike. Not sure these small pumps generate much heat anyway as gravity helps too... on older bikes at least gravity never burned out...LOL!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2010, 2:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cheers guys.

Absolutely nothing coming from the pump so the tank is coming out over the weekend.
Managed to source another pump off a 9000 miler 05 bike that i'm picking up tomorrow and will give that a go. Got to say that i'm not happy that it's gone on such a low miler bike but there you go !!
Will let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2010, 2:05 pm
Addict

This is for a KRS, but the message is the same. Check the fuel rail pressure. Many seem to shy away from such a simple check, but all that electronics, the pump the wiring and the computer is there to do one thing : DELIVER PRESSURISED FUEL.. Without it you have a no-go bike. The reasons may be a simple fault, but fuel pressure is what these engines are all about.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K12fuelpressure_adaptor.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	12521  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2010, 2:32 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks guys but sorted at last.
It turned out not to be the fuel pump but the fuel pump controller (FPC).
I by passed it first an ran the pump at full speed just to check. Replaced the unit (82.00 ouch!) and we are up and running.
Not heared of one going on the K bikes, more common with the GS's I believe.
Will be carrying a bypass device in the future just in case!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode