New Member --- K1300S Questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New Member --- K1300S Questions

Greetings,
I rode my first K bike at Max`s last week during the RA Rally. What a deal,could possibly see myself on one. Not knowing much about them, I thought I would ask you guys some questions:
1st. Can you tour with these things? Barbacks and or peg lowering?
2nd. Is the ESA nessary? What do you guys think of it?
3rd. What is this onboard computer all about?
4th. Traction control, What`s that all about?
Hope its OK to ask all these questions. Also if there is anything else I need to know about the K1300S , recalls, problems, etc. please lay it on me!
Thanks
DDTrucker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtrucker
Greetings,
I rode my first K bike at Max`s last week during the RA Rally. What a deal,could possibly see myself on one. Not knowing much about them, I thought I would ask you guys some questions:
1st. Can you tour with these things? Barbacks and or peg lowering?
2nd. Is the ESA nessary? What do you guys think of it?
3rd. What is this onboard computer all about?
4th. Traction control, What`s that all about?
Hope its OK to ask all these questions. Also if there is anything else I need to know about the K1300S , recalls, problems, etc. please lay it on me!
Thanks
DDTrucker
Welcome:
1- Absolutely yes, yes & yes; probably the best sport-tourer available. Torque/power!!! 2-up not so great for ultra-long trips (GT or RT better)... see pic below as example, but there are zillion other ways to pack/stack, plus tank bags if you like! Don't waste $$ buying factory tail rack unless you think it's a must. Actually, the S has pretty decent protection in poor weather... I ride mine all year 'round; superb aerodynamics. Heated grips are std and will spoil you. If you can find one with GSA, Gear Shift Asst (quickshifter, but can be dealer installed) get it. Already have done 600+mi/day travels fast with no problems, even through brutal thunderstorms non-stop (rain gear of course). The mounts for these side bags are very inconspicuous when panniers off. But there are lots of cheaper soft bags and huge bags which can sit on rear seat if you don't like hard bags.
2- No, it's not necessary, particularly if you plan on tracking the bike frequently as you can dial in Ohlins or Wilburs susp far more precisely for your weight. For those who won't track, ESA is a nice thing with Comfy, Normal, Sport modes and add'l choices for 1 or 2 up, with or without luggage and better resale if you trade/sell. Brakes on these are industry best, comparable to Ducs though heavier bike.
3- Onboard computer allows you to "zoom" to modes such as times, fuel, ranges, trip set, etc. It's standard now on this bike and a good thing.
4- Traction control - actually ASC - automatic stability control, is extra and it's there to "help" one from losing control when either wheel loses traction... can be turned off.
5- 4 recalls were issued to correct ALL the early relatively minor issues (possible brake fluid foaming, fuel/idle control with software update, left & right combo switches which were not made to BMW spec by a sub... no expense to owners). All were corrected if bike was taken to dealer. Have over 20K on mine and it keeps getting better with "age."

Sport panniers with this small rollbag will easily do for a week. With a much longer rollbag, you can double what you see here in load capacity and go for months... heck, strap a collapsible tent to the roll bag also, through wouldn't recommend as trail bike!! Your body will adapt quite a bit after couple weeks of use and you can do the peg lowering, etc if necessary for long legs. It's superb for fast travel on slabs to get to those really nice backroads in mountainous western part of NC.

Last edited by Sheep; Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:16 pm.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2010, 6:42 am
Veteran

I have a 2007 K12S (virtually the same bike as the K13) and I agree with Sheep. If I were to do it again, I would not get ESA because you may have to replace them after about 25K miles and they are a crazy high price item to replace. I would opt for standard shocks and then get Ohlins as a replacement. My ESA shocks wore out and I now have Ohlins. They are less expensive and provide just as comfortable and to me a more stable ride.

I have 46K miles on my KS and it does everything well. I've done 13 hours in one day and I've done 9 hours two-up in a day. It's not a problem.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:39 am
Noob

1) Yes, you can tour on a K1300S, although I have not yet had a chance to put in any big mile days to verfiy this. I plan to put in a pair of 500+ days when I head to the MotoGP in Indy next weekend, so I'll have a chance to see how it feels/handles for touring. I've also got a couple of weekend trips planned this fall, and the wife wants to take the K1300S instead of the R1200GS. I have not set up the K bike for carrying a lot of gear, so we will be traveling very light.

As for ergos, the K bike fits me pretty good (I'm 5' - 7" and pretty stocky) - although bar backs would probably add a little more comfort.

2) I would say yes for the ESA if you plan to fair amount of 2-up riding. Being able to change the pre-load with the touch of a button is a very nice feature. Changing the damping is, in my view, less important - but still nice.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:20 pm
Enthusiast

I agree with the guys above. My 09 K13S now has close to 6,000. At the time I got it, few were around and all had ESA. I like it, but can't get 'exactly' the setting I want. I have Wilbers on my RS and they are dialed just right for me. Once a week I do a commute of 200 miles in the early morning - work some for 6 hrs - then 200 home in the evening. The 1300S is great both on the freeway (10%) and twisty 2-lane (90%, that is why I go this route). The adjustability on the fly is nice due to the different conditions and how I am riding. The ASC is for sure a good thing, and while I have yet to lift the front on this bike, it does not allow that either (different wheel spin rates = ignition cut).

As far as bar-backs and peg lowering, that all depends on your size and shape. I am 6' @ 185 lbs and have no need for either. Peg lowering would likely put me into the gravel. Not to offend anyone, but, I would think that if you want the pegs lower, you might be happier on the GT.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 1:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
Welcome:

like that blue accent on the bike....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 2:54 pm
Sheep

Thank you...
David
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2010, 2:40 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep
Thank you...
David
How do you like the sport panniers? Any cons or regrets? I must admit that the bags did not appeal to me at first, but they are starting to grow on me. Frankly, I have not seen a better option.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:43 am
Enthusiast

I had the same thoughts when I was about to purchase mine, are they really functional, how do they look, etc. Knowing I would HAVE to have something, I looked at the various Givi options, and how some guys have made special mods to accomodate them. That would have been ideal, but I don't have the ability or facilities to do that and soft bags are out of the question for me. So, I said...'I can't see them when I ride, so what the heck, and my salesman says people report back that they are workable' So I got them. I think it was the right decision for me. The expandable nature is very functional for me, the bag liners that come with them are Dry Bag style roll up tops and are indeed waterproof so far. While I cannot put my briefcase bag with my Lenovo laptop in them like on my KRS, I am able to strap that on the back seat in a waterproof bag (lots of fog in the mornings for me). I also got the tail rack/plate thing not shown in Sheep's pics, but other bikes pics show it. Easy to install, and after my last trip to the track with all my camping gear, I now feel it is a functional piece as well. I also got the center stand and installed it, The only other mod for me has been the billet gas cap, The stock flip up gets in the way of most vapor recovery boots in our state making it difficult to refuel.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 3:17 pm
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMilz2
How do you like the sport panniers? Any cons or regrets? I must admit that the bags did not appeal to me at first, but they are starting to grow on me. Frankly, I have not seen a better option.
I like the unique look of BMW spt pans as they fit nature of bike and its color. They're easy on/off and the black mounting brackets don't wreck appearance of bike when bags are off. On my R12R, I could install/remove the Givi hard bag brackets in less than 15min, but no such thing for the K-S yet. The sport panniers are fine for light touring, but if you're like me and just need more space for some other goodies (camera, couple books, extra pair of shoes, tire repair kit, rain gear, etc), you'll need a larger, wider roll/tail bag to really extend the travels without skimping. Personally don't like tank bags, but for occasional long trips they're fine. If you ride solo, there's a huge amount of space on seat behind you without needing the tail rack, but some prefer it. If Givi (less expensive) had made a larger set of hard panniers, I'd have gotten them even though they make the bike look "fat" and ill-proportioned because I'd only mount them for trips. I use that expandable rollbag which easily attaches securely to pannier "knob" and grab handles to tote stuff 99% of time. It's a very inexpensive Saddlemen 1300 rollbag and for such small footprint, it carries a lot of gear right on the seat.

When traveling on overnighters/2-days, I use (smaller by vol) right pannier to hold rain gear and extra sweat shirt which I might need to get at quickly. Since bike leans left on stand, stuff doesn't fall on ground by using right pan. That leaves the other side for whatever.

Just a note because so many think the panniers for the F800 are same size as for K-S, NOT so!! K panniers are def'ly bigger when you see them side-by-side... the part#'s are also different. There is practically nothing available in hard luggage to mount on the K12/13S; last I saw Twisted Throttle had a rear rack which could work with hard tail bag, but nothing for sides. Somebody will update this if wrong.

Here's pic of bike with panniers off and you can see the black mounts below rear plastic... some think they're just another set of grab handles. Bottom of pannier rests on that bracket and top snaps/locks onto stainless knob on grab handles... very tight, no rattles or shaking.

Anyway at this moment (5pm Thurs), Earl is bit southeast of us here on coast and looks like we'll escape its fury. Very little rain and winds of 10-20mph... though the worst will be here by midnight.

Last edited by Sheep; Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:28 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode