New K rider, need main seal job info - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New K rider, need main seal job info

Hey all,

I picked up a 2003 RS with 21k today, the bike is awesome but toward the end of my 150 mile ride back home I noticed that the clutch is slipping when I go to take off from a stop. It does not slip any other time but I suspect this is due to the rear main seal?

I'm not exactly sure where to look but I snapped a few pics of where I see oily grime (Lots of caked up grime at the final drive boot). The Previous owner did have the bike sitting for an extended period.

After researching this site I expected I would need to do this job, and I might as well do any PM while I have the bike apart. I ordered the service manual but I have not found a thread which lists all the parts to replace while I have the bike apart. Can anyone point me to a thread or let me know what parts to replace while I attempt this job?

Edit:
After some more reading, this issue can be caused by several failures? When I look to where the engine and transmission connect I do not see any grime, I only see grime at the final drive, and a bit on the back of the transmission

Last edited by hp660r; Sep 13th, 2010 at 2:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:42 pm
Veteran

Search for Max BMW online parts. That'll get you started in your parts search and give you the prices.

That rear drive stain is probably the rear pinion shaft seal in the final drive leaking. Common, but takes a special castellated socket to get it apart to jerk the seal out. I took mine to the dealer once I got it off the bike and had them look it over for wear anf if they thought it needed anything else while off. I think I spent $185 or so for the job. Fwiw, those pivot hex bolts on the shaft cover are tight (Locktight) and you may have to use a torch to heat them up to soften the bond along with a long snipe on a breaker bar.

The clutch slippage may be seepage from the tranny seal that gets pumped towards the clutch itself and not necessarily from the rear crankshaft seal. You'll know once you get it broken down. Many had it leak out the 'rear' tranny seal and flow up the middle of the shaft that holds the control rod onto the clutch. I'd replace all the seals in the tranny as they are probably dried out and shot. Heat from the catalytic hardens them up pretty quick.

I'd also bug your dealer for any updates to the parts on that old a model and get them installed too. They make minor changes that you may never hear about unless you tel them what you are doing. That control rod in mine changed design and I had to get some additions to make it work on my RT. Trust me, you don't want to pull it apart a second time. Mine took me about two weeks awaiting parts and sundry stuff to get it back together. You'll always find something else that could or should be changed once in there.

Good luck, and photograph the hell out of what you need to remove to refer back on later.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode