Clutch needs replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:07 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Clutch needs replacement

After 18K miles and clunking that got worse from day one, my dealer now says I have to install a new clutch assembly. ($1700 + labor) He showed my one of the plates and the material on one side was completely gone. I've owned 22 bikes and ridden some of them for 100K miles, and never had a clutch problem. True, I flog the S, but in the turns, not drag racing. I've never slipped the clutch.

I personally think the clutch was bad from day one. It's always had a pretty severe clunk going into 1st gear. I brought it up to the dealer twice before, but they told me it was normal. In recent months the clunking started in all the gears at low rpm. Now, I have to put out almost $2K without any recourse. Clutches aren't covered under warranty.

Any similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 7:40 pm
dbw

clutch

On my clutch assy recently the judder spring failed......on a 2005 K12s. CLunking in the first 3 gears got much worse and the upper 3 gears which were usually smooth as a hot knife into butter started shifting hard. In order to stop the first gear clunk since new I was/am in the habit of holding the clutch in for up to 5 seconds and all of a sudden, at the same time as the upper 3 gears problem, it clunked HARD going into1st. ANyway, there is a service bulliten for this that may aply to your bike....check it out....you can get it by googling.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 11:46 pm
Sheep

Bud, is your S a 12 or 13?

Mine is K13S with no clutch issues, though it has always clunked going into first from Neutral while stopped. The gearbox has always been clunky in first three gears with slower shifting; shift faster and it improves. My previous R12R had a smoother gearbox and easier action. Totally different bikes. Love the K13S as it's been flawless since recalls. I always had Suzukis prior to the Beemers and was spoiled with their great gearboxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Enthusiast

I've had 3 in 4,000 miles and hence why I'm glad I run an extended warranty,certainley here in the UK,the clutch is covered by both the original and extended.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 12:07 pm
Addict

I don't think my 2006 ks was right from day one either.

At about 20k miles, the dealer did some 'work' on it but didn't replace the faulty parts in my opinion, ie, the $800 housing that was part of the problem or maybe THE problem..

bumping along, come 40k miles, barely made it to the dealer, 2 grand to fix it. I wasn't happy about that for the same reasons.

They should have replaced it totally when they installed the 2nd trans (at 38k), said they did adjustments, blah blah, bmw was just tired of spending warranty dollars on my lemon.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Noob

My 2010 K1300S is in the shop for clutch repairs and injector cleaning. The bike has been flawless until about 3 weeks ago when I started having repeated stalling as I pulled in the clutch to slow down to a stop. At about the same time, the clutch plate started slipping, and it became more difficult to shift into neutral. The clutch has always sounded like a bunch of bolts ratteling around whenever I let out the clutch while idlling in neutral. I've got about 9k miles on the bike.

I am dreading the likelihood that BMW will not consider the clutch problems a warranty issue. It seems crazy to me such problems on a bike with so few miles is anything other than a defective clutch that should be covered under warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode