New K versus Old K Handling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:41 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

New K versus Old K Handling

One thing the new GT will have to do, much better than my current GT is handle better on technically difficult roads. (Yes, I am interested in the new GT despite the visual blahness.) I understand the new GT wheel base will be longer than the S to add stability in touring mode, so right out of the box it will not handle like the S, that and the extra pounds, and any differences in the front end geometry must be taken into account as well.

That said, can the folks that came off the old KRS to the new S compare and contrast the handling of the two machines?

1. Does it turn in easier?
2. What kind of feedback do you get from the front end--does it feel light, heavy?
3. Was it a huge difference in handling in comparison from the RS, if so it what way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:48 am
Enthusiast

1.) yes much
2.)feels much more precise than the RS def lighter feel than the RS
3.) It is a quantum leap better than the RS. First time I rode the bike on familar roads I was on par with cornering level of my RC51/996 example 35 mph corner, K1200RS nice pace 70-75mph RC51/996/K12S 85-90mph

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
One thing the new GT will have to do, much better than my current GT is handle better on technically difficult roads. (Yes, I am interested in the new GT despite the visual blahness.) I understand the new GT wheel base will be longer than the S to add stability in touring mode, so right out of the box it will not handle like the S, that and the extra pounds, and any differences in the front end geometry must be taken into account as well.

That said, can the folks that came off the old KRS to the new S compare and contrast the handling of the two machines?

1. Does it turn in easier?
2. What kind of feedback do you get from the front end--does it feel light, heavy?
3. Was it a huge difference in handling in comparison from the RS, if so it what way?
Bandera,

The S handles better in every way. It turns in easier than the RS (how much easier depends on the tires), feels much lighter and more responsive. The RS takes a lot of work to hustle around turns; the S feels "alive," it anticipates your moves. The additional power and ease of throttle movement also make the S much, much better in the twisties. Before I got my S I thought the RS could handle the twisties fine, although it took work. Now I realize that the RS is something of a tub! I now use it when riding the slab. All backroad work is done with the S.

As an added bonus, the S is actually more comfortable than the RS in all situations. It's an incredible bike.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 9:05 am

Adding

I agree with the above assessments. I nearly mastered my KRS for twisties - never quite got over the heavy feel to the front and the deliberate turn-in thinking required to do it well. On my KR (not KS, sorry) the front is definitely lighter feeling. What I notice is a total lack of any sensation from the front as I use it. Not a lack of feel, per se, as much as a totally neutral feel. It takes all I give and does the job, but I am still getting used to the difference in that duolever from the telelever.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:51 am
Veteran

Thumbs up Agree With Ken

I would agree 100% with what Ken said... Night and day. If I had the two bikes sitting in my garage, the RS would never get ridden EXCEPT for straight line, long distance touring... And it has NOTHING to do with the extra horsepower. I still think the RS is more comfortable, but.. I'm still tweaking the ergo's on my S so the jury isn't in on that.

There is lts more turn in but this can be controlled my tire choice. You get used to that and actually like it after a while. Mine came with Pilot Powers which feel fine and stick great, but I'm gonna change them to a more "neutral" feeling tire when I've trashed these. The Pilots have a "V"-ish profile which makes them prone to turn in anyway. Can't say a thing bad about the tires. They do make the bike feel lighter than it is.

There is a lack of sensation from the front. .. Very neutral which is good for most.. disapointing for others. .. Kind of like the difference of a 1970's Caddy going 100mph and a Porshe 911. In one you FEEL the car and what it's doing..... the other you just have the sensation that you are moving fast, but you are isolated. I can't tell whether I'm on sure footing or sliding when deep, hard in a curve until the tire just goes. It's not much worse than the RS in that respect.. Just different. I'm guessing that like the rest of the bike, I'll get used to it and adapt. I still have under 1K miles on mine so I'm still in the learning curve. IMHO, BMW did hit the mark on this. The Hossack front end works perfectly on THIS bike.

The last time I ran the RS through Deals Gap I got physically ill it was so much work. I can't wait to see what the S can do in the spring. WoooHoo!!

Bottom line.. the S out handles the RS in virtually every way. It's much easier to ride slow or fast... it's just not as sexy. My 2 cents.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 7:27 pm

I Agree With Everyone Here But It Has Only One Flaw.
If You Ride Into 50mph Wind Or More You Get Tossed Around,all Over The Road
I Beleve It's The Counter Effect From Being To Light To Steer, But You Will Be Heavier With The Gt Version So The Effect Will Be Less

Stroker
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:23 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
The last time I ran the RS through Deals Gap I got physically ill it was so much work.
This is really the issue at the root of my question about the new K. I really like my GT and the guys I ride with say I can ride it faster through the technical stuff than anyone else they know, but it comes at a price. I have to work my tail off, and come away exhausted when when we play for more than a few hours.

The new GT solves the fuel range, luggage and likely the buffeting problems. If the steering is as good as my old RT I'll purchase one, ugly girl looks and all.

I appreciate the responses so far.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:31 am

Pirate has nearly completed his journey to the REALLY dark side, except for a couple of things. One is to ride the RS again after getting used to the S, and seeing just how hefty the old girl really is. The other is to realize that the S is actually better looking too. . . . Call me a sucker for the sleek, long, low, and stuffed with enormous black engine look.

The S is better in nearly all aspects than the RS/GT, except for wind protection and carrying capacity. It is a MUCH better handling bike. I put both my other bikes up for sale within a couple of weeks of getting my S because I knew I would never voluntarily ride either again. (Now, the new GT might be a different story. . . ) BTW, I do not expect the new GT to have a longer wheelbase than the S, so they will likely handle very much alike. It's not like the S chassis isn't already pretty long:

S: 61.85"
RS: 61.0
RT: 58.2
LT: 64.4
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:25 am
Enthusiast

yeah give Jerry awhile longer and he will be fully converted, "Resistance is Futile!!!"

05 K1200S Blue (street bike)
01 996 Yellow (trackbike)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencorsun
As an added bonus, the S is actually more comfortable than the RS in all situations. It's an incredible bike.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm thinking of selling my CBR1000 AND GT to purchase a K1200S. Is it more comfortable (than the GT/RS) on longer rides? I want a bike like the S if it will handle the longer hauls on occasion. The two 20-min. test rides I took on the S SEEMED like it was far more comfortable, but it would take a 2-hr ride to really know. Most opinions so far seem to indicate that it's a credible sport tourer (except for rear tire wear).

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode