K1300S - clearance between rear tire and muffler - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 2:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300S - clearance between rear tire and muffler

Does anyone know what the clearance is supposed to be, in inch or CM, between the rear tire and muffler? The owner's manual only indicates that you can use the spark plug tool to measure it. But My '09 K1300S does not come with that tool.
Thanks!

Chris

2009 K1300S, 2005 R1200GS, 2004 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:36 pm
Enthusiast

I never thought about it when I reinstalled the wheel after changing tires. I just put the muffler back where it was by twisting it back to hang correctly from its mount, tightened it up and called it good. There is certainly plenty of space there, and I think it would vary depending on the specific tire choice you make. Each brand will have a different profile, and I would hazard a guess that each will be a little different final width at the break between sidewall and tread. On the subject of tools, of all the BMWs I have owned, this one surely has the minimalist tool 'kit'. A screw driver and a torx, no spark plug tool I can find.....

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2010, 5:27 am
Enthusiast

It does matter. I tighten the top hangar bolt finger tight, then tighten the clamp bolt as I move the exhaust outboard about 3/4-1". Then I tighten the two bolts to about 20 ft/lbs.
If the space is too small the tire will rub in hard turns.

KR Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode