Power Commander and Quick Shift - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 2:29 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Power Commander and Quick Shift

Has anyone installed a Power Commander III USB with the Quick Shifter? I'd like to see a picture of the Quick Shifter installed. Any comments on how well the PC III works with the Quick Shifter is appreciated.

I have a 2007 K1200S with Remus slip on and stock air filter.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 3:53 pm
Rookie

I had a PCIII and the quick-shifter on my 2008 K1200S, unfortunately no pics, but the quick-shifter just replaces the rod between the foot lever and the linkage to the motor.

Installing the PCIII takes about 4-5 hours and requires that the seat, panels, tank, airbox, and maybe the injector rail if you do not have small hands. There is a special tool to undo the clips that hold the airbox to the injector rail (got mine at the local auto store). There are quite a few posts here and on other sites with pics of the process,etc.

I just loaded one of the standard maps and tweeked it a bit myself, if I had the bike for longer I would have gone in for a custom map at a dyno. The bike was transformed after the PCIII was installed, especially the low speed running, she would quite happily pull from 25mph in 6th gear without bogging down.

The quick-shifter is a revelatiion, it just replaces the threaded rod and plugs into the PCIII module. It allows seemless upshifts without backing off the throttle, a friend withe the same bike said under hard acceleration he couldn't keep up with me due to the quick-shifter. You can adjust the time that the ignition or fuel (can't remember which) is cut, and also the minimum revs that the quick-shifter works.

Changes to the map or quick-shifter require plugging into a PC or laptop and running the supplied software.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 8:54 pm
Enthusiast

Sheep has some pics of his 09 K13S where you can see the quick shift, don't think it would look much different on the 1200 than it does on our 13s.

See newbie post a few below yours.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 1:40 pm
Sheep

A PC3 will do same for K12 as the PC5 for a K13. Tuner states AutoTune is unnecessary on K13. You "owe" it to the bike and yourself to get a custom map done on a dyno by a skilled tuner, and one who isn't interested in inflating #'s. The O2's will be disconnected since the PC calibrates the fuel; my bike actually gained couple mpg overall. The beauty of a PC is in the incredible difference in throttle control, particularly at low speed as noted above. No flat spots anywhere in curve. Had K&N af's and a str-thru catless slip-on when this bike was dyno-tuned, exh flapper still operational. The highly experienced tuner/racer/engineer pulled his highest #'s of any K12/K13 he had done up to that point on mine. He's been tuning using PC for 17yrs, on all makes of bikes. Typical "average increase" for K12/K13 is anywhere in the 7-12whp range on the DynoJet. Both the K12 & K13 make similar horsepower increases, but the torque curve is better on the K13's. Dave spent a full 2hrs on the dyno. Now that the ambient temps have dropped since wicked heat of summer, the bike runs even stronger. You can feel the power increase easily when there is a 15-20deg drop in ambients. By the time winter hits and it's consistently in the 40's, this thing should be a killer. Having had a QS now, I'd absolutely option it or retrofit one if possible. The QS on my K13 easily works even at 2500rpms, though use it vast majority above 3000. Not sure how low it will work but seems as long as you've got engine under load/accelerating smoothly it shifts easily. Bike gives out a glorious, loud crack when QS-ing at high RPM's. Hope this helps.

Here's pic:

Last edited by Sheep; Nov 5th, 2010 at 1:47 pm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2010, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ordered Power Commander and Quick Shift

I went ahead and ordered the Power Commander III USB, 937-411, and the Quick Shift, 4-101, from Keith at www.fuelmotousa.com. They had the best prices and very good up front service. I'll try to post a couple pictures soon. I'm having the bike dyno'd this week so I'll have a before and after comparison of any hp gains. I'll try to post the dyno charts too.

My only worry is warranty. My BMW warranty runs out in Dec, but I was planning on an extended warranty. Now, if the extended warranty won't allow PC, I'll have to run without. Not something I want to do, but I don't think I'll have a choice.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Sheep

Whether a PC voids warranty/warranty extension depends a lot on the local dealer. It's pretty much a huge stretch that a PC could ever be responsible for "damage" since it acts independently of bike's internals. If a person abuses a bike, the PC is not the cause. If the shaft drive seal goes there is no way one can attribute that to a PC.

Understand your concerns so why not get the extension, then install the PC. I've had two Beemers under warranty with aftermarket fuel modules and neither dealer ever threatened... they know motorcyclists will mod their bikes to suit their tastes. Honestly, if a dealer is going to void a warranty or not perform valid warranty work, willing to aggravate the customer and create ill will, then they're not worth having my business again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2010, 3:50 am
Addict

If something big breaks, you could always err on the safe side and remove the PCIII before taking it for warranty evaluation. But if it's not an engine/fueling-related issue, then I wouldn't worry about it.

PC *could* cause engine failure if you run it way too lean and run the bike hard near redline. But then who would do that.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2010, 1:36 pm
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama
.....PC *could* cause engine failure if you run it way too lean and run the bike hard near redline. But then who would do that.
That should never happen on properly custom-tuned bike. The bike's O2 sensor is rendered inoperable, so there's no possibility a bad sensor could throw the A/F ratios off... a functioning wideband is used during the tuning process only. Note: if changes are made like installing headers after PC tuning was done, the bike needs to be retuned. New K&N's and the str-thru slip-on were already in place at time of tuning when mine was done as well as the exh flapper (K13) left intact.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Base Dyno

Had my base Dyno run last week. I plan to install the PC and QC this week. I'll post before with PC map and after with custom map dyno's as soon as I have them.

2007 K1200S. Remus CF slip on, stock air filters.

154 RWHP with 87 ft-lb torque. Not bad, but I'd like to see over 165 with the PCIII
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dyno 11-18-10 Remus slip on.pdf (262.3 KB, 169 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode