Hello All - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2010, 5:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hello All

Just wanted to say hi, I've been lurking for a long time now and my interest in the K1300S is getting more intense.
I have been riding BMW roadsters since 2001, first was a new R1150R and then a new R1200R. 36k and 30k miles respectively and loving R12 a lot, BUT.....the higher HP is luring me.
I have considered the new Ducati multistrada 1200, but not crazy about the fork front end and chain drive. Seeing the the K1300R is not available in the US this leaves me with the K1300S (not crazy about full fairings either).
Only concerns that I have is the tighter riding posture and the possible dealing with engine heat. I have test rode the K but really didn't spent enough quality time on it to make any solid comparisons to my R.
If anybody that made the jump from the R to the K can share their thoughts and feelings(good and bad) it would be greatly appreciated. Like engine heat, vibrations, mirrors, seat comfort, fuel milage, maintenance, luggage, two up riding, and general ergos. Thanks
TOM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 5:04 pm
Enthusiast

Can only address the heat concern as coming from a K12RS, too long since I rode an R in the heat....I have ridden my K1300S for 4 hrs straight in 100+ temps. The issue was ambient heat, not anything coming from the bike. I definitely notice more heat coming off the old RS than I do the newer S. It is way smoother than any R could ever hope to be, mirrors rock steady and very functional, I get 43 mpg consistently in the twisties having fun, 32 on the track, 48+ on straight cruises. My wife prefers the seating of the S to the RS, though I would prefer a much taller screen for any extended freeway riding at speed. Hope that helps.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yep, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Sheep

Went from '08 R1200R to the '09 K1300S. The K is superior to the R except it's not as flickable due to extra weight. Absolutely no engine heat issues with the K, and though I've preferred nakeds up to then, the full fairing produces a much more comfortable (protection from weather elements) particularly in winter. I ride year 'round; will occasionally hit the 20's at night in worst of winter and that requires electric jacket liner.

The R12 without ESA has a more compliant ride than the K bike's ESA set to "comfortable" and still allows spirited, controlled rides on backroads at speed. If I were to order again, I would not option ESA on any BMW... just ride the std OEM's until they're gone then replace with Ohlins.

I would consider returning to an R12R when the next ones come out with the twin OHC cyl head already in the late RT's and GS's, by way of the HP2. Problem is again.... no lower fairing for protection in rain/cold and no quickshifter option, which is awesome addition. I ride pretty aggressively (for my age group) so I'd do similar mods as before on the '08 to boost power.

I only ride solo, but can tell you the R is better for 2-up since the driver sits upgright. The K averages a true 50mpg which was just about what the R did. Service is far more expensive on K when it comes to valve adjustment/plug installs, but you can easily go 24K (18K per manual) before you need to even consider unless you track the bike often. I'm already approaching 25K and the valvetrain is no noisier than when new. Clutch is still right on. The ESA shocks are OK, but I'd really prefer new ones soon and considering pulling the ESA versions and just installing std Ohlins (far cheaper and rebuildable). The K bike only has a couple areas where you might feel some vibration, but it's never annoying... just like the twin R that pulses when you accelerate from low speeds. The torque on the K is far superior than the R's. I had a fuel module and full Remus exhaust on the R, but adding a custom-mapped PC5 does far more for the K than the R. Now that I've experienced both, I'd never ride a K without one again, because it does far more than just add ponies... no more flat spots in curve and throttle response/smoothness is incredible. Oh... tires last far longer on a naked R! I prefer the placement of the mirrors on the K, but the R's are bit more adjustable. I was averaging 46-47mpg on the K until I added the PC5, then it jumped to 50-51mpg (there are lots of open roads around here and very little city traffic). If riding an interstate at steady indicated 70-75mph, the mileage exceeds 51mpg. Even when riding this bike hard, it never goes below 40mpg. I've used full synthetics since 6K service (also used in R). There are more luggage options available for the R than a K13S, but I've never been limited on the K on trips since riding solo. I really like the K, but was never unhappy with the R either. Personalized both bikes with quite a few performance and styling mods.

PM if you have any more questions. I'll PM you some pics of both. Check sig below to see the current mods on the K.

Last edited by Sheep; Nov 24th, 2010 at 11:02 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode