Traded horses.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2010, 3:51 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Traded horses....

Well....sold my 1999 Valkyrie with 9100 miles on it, rode my 2006 K12S into the dealer here in orange county for some work last weds (tires, oil, etc)...didn't really want to spend more money on the K12S so....

hemmed and hawwed, I know I should have bought one of those nice GT's on the floor instead, some low miles, more than fully loaded, etc...but they just look so big! (I had an LT so I know what big really is)

Two K1300S's on the floor, one an 09 and one brand new (blue/wht/blk)....I drove the new one out. I'm not really riding 2-up anymore (SO got the convertible) so I bought what I like the most for the riding I do.

Ok, I don't wanna hear the K12S and the K13S are the same bikes. Close in many ways (ergonomics, etc) but all the mods I did to my 06 (shocks, seat, PCIII, etc), the K13S has accounted for all these things, so far.

Amazing what a few years can do to a machine!! I wish I could say the same for my old tired arse I have a new saying...you know yer gettin old when you can ride better than you can walk!

They were double checking the odo however and apologetic they couldn't offer me more money, I was just glad to get enough to pay it off....it had 89,000 miles. I was hoping to put 250k miles on that thing, maybe this time if I live that long

I've looked at everything out there, for months, thinking, trying em out.....apparently I'm going to be on a K bike the rest of my life cause "I just can't quit you baby (thanks Led)...and I ain't gonna put you down for awhile either, just an awesome machine in every respect.

catch me if you can bro!

oh yeah...got my levers, headlight cover and windscreen swapped onto the new bike too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 4:47 pm
Noob

Thumbs up

Congrats! I was checking out that B&W K13s at Irv's not too long ago - sure is a nice colour combo.

rhinoWErX
IBA #30079
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2010, 4:55 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I'm still hooked on the blue/white scheme of my 2006, that was the hardest part of giving the bike up.

but everyone else I know likes the new paint job better so I guess I'll go with the masses

It is growing on me though. I hardly notice the color at speed, thus I don't spend too much time giving it any thought

I sure do like this bike, its what the KS should have been from day one.....riiiggghhttt...could say the same thing about my computer!!

Hopefully my beta test is over

oh yeah, just for potential owners. I had ohlins on my 06 after the stock shocks wore out. They were great. But, for the riding I do, this ESA is the catz meow and I won't go back. Well worth the price of replacement shocks someday, which might be about a year for me. My dealer grades my bike/gear in "dog years"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2010, 9:27 pm
Sheep

I've ridden both K12S and K13S and there is no way I'd call them the same. Vast differences in the power delivery. If you think the K13S is the way the K12 should have been first time around (I don't disagree with you), try a K13S with the PC5 and you'll get another shock. It's not just about more power; it's the throttle control, smoothness and immediate response through entire curve and ALL flat spots gone. I even got 3mpg more overall average.

Got the ESA2, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for std and add Ohlins since I ride solo. Had an R12R right before this... loved it and this first K also.

Enjoy your new gal.
David

PS: Kind of like the blue/white scheme of past also; still not done tweaking this one.

Last edited by Sheep; Dec 10th, 2010 at 9:34 pm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2011, 2:57 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well crap, I have to quit looking at yer pic, I STILL like that granite grey or whatever it is, the best color ever I do believe. But i'm ok with my blue, I can't see it much when I'm flying anyways

I have near 5k miles on the bike now and I'm noticing the flat spots you mentioned.

I'm not sure I'll do anything about it for awhile but I will keep the PC in mind. It sure worked good on my 06 (PCIII), I had that installed by cowen motorsports and dyno mapped as well, for street riding.

I'm still really happy with this bike. I do like the ESA, not for two up so much but just because I'm almost always taking a bag o' crap with me since I travel a lot and the comfy selection sure makes the washboard highway sections a lot easier to take (mostly in socal).

I can't get used to the wheelie control though, surprises me every time, doh! just have to remember to turn it off before I go

oh yeah, tires...I sure liked the contiattacks right out the gate, but going toast on me at 4k, I went back to a Metz. I have the Z6 replacement on now (intrepids maybe, can't remember the name), profile sure is different from the conti's (much 'flatter') but they handle very well so far, only have about 700 miles on them however.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2011, 3:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

ps...I guess I should mention what I don't like.

I hate the turn signal setup!!!

I liked the one on the K1200S much better. I find I use the turn signals half the time as i used to, which is normally all the time (I try to be a polite hooligan )

probably has to do with age and my sorry carcass more than the design, fingers don't move like they used to. But the new setup is clumsy and hard to hit all the time, ie, it takes way more time to work the new sig than the old ones.

The only other whiny spot is the friggin gas cap! I'm waiting for it to break off due to the pressure on it with the gas nozzle, these CA thingies on the nozzles get in the way. I think I will fix that with a pirate billet cap sometime soon.

thats it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode