New K12S and have a few questions. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 7:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New K12S and have a few questions.

Hello all, new to this forum and just brought home a new (to me) 2005 K1200S. ABS, ESA, heated grips, 17k miles. Coming from a Yamaha R6 and a 1200 GS Adventure before that. Loving the K bike. Great handling, big power, comfortable and confidence inspiring. First question: there are two BMW key fobs that I was given with the bike. They have two buttons each, one ribbed, one smooth. What the heck are these for and how do they work?

What are the service intervals on this bike? The dealer said 6k but the owner's manual says 12k. Can I really go 12k miles without changing the oil?

Suspension feels good but I know 17k is getting to be high mileage for suspension. How pricey is it to replace/rebuild the shocks and keep the ESA?

Also, the bike is equipped with Metzeler Roadtec tires. The front looks alright but the rear looks well worn. However, I can't find any tread wear indicators. For those of you who run these tires, how do you know when to replace them? That's all of my questions for now. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 7:55 pm
JCW
contributor

If you want, I've got a K1200S ESA rear shock with under 4K miles. BMW claims the shocks are not rebuildable, but I believe someone has had them rebuilt. Was it Wilbers?

My BMW keys didn't have buttons. I wonder if yours has an alarm?

Personally, I stick with 3K or 3 months or every trackday to change my oil.

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rod
Hello all, new to this forum and just brought home a new (to me) 2005 K1200S. ABS, ESA, heated grips, 17k miles. Coming from a Yamaha R6 and a 1200 GS Adventure before that. Loving the K bike. Great handling, big power, comfortable and confidence inspiring. First question: there are two BMW key fobs that I was given with the bike. They have two buttons each, one ribbed, one smooth. What the heck are these for and how do they work?

What are the service intervals on this bike? The dealer said 6k but the owner's manual says 12k. Can I really go 12k miles without changing the oil?

Suspension feels good but I know 17k is getting to be high mileage for suspension. How pricey is it to replace/rebuild the shocks and keep the ESA?

Also, the bike is equipped with Metzeler Roadtec tires. The front looks alright but the rear looks well worn. However, I can't find any tread wear indicators. For those of you who run these tires, how do you know when to replace them? That's all of my questions for now. Thanks for the help.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2010, 6:53 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rod

you must have an alarm on the bike because the key to my 2006 KS didn't have any buttons.

get ready to get raped on the shocks.......3K to replace front and rear not including labor !!!!! there is a company called works performance that allegedly rebuilds the ESA shocks but I'm not aware of anyone having it done. there use to be a sticky on one of the pages of this board talking about WP, do a search.

i've had great success wit metzler z6's, conti road attacks and metzler m3's on all of my bikes. if the roadtecs are like the z6 tread pattern there are no wear bars.

service interval is every 6K miles, then there's annual services which is different than the 6K, i change my oil every 3000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode