Looking at an 08 K1200S - Questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 5:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Looking at an 08 K1200S - Questions

Hi everyone,

I currently have an 04 Harley Davidson VROD and have riden a number of sports bike in the past 25 years.

This past summer a friend let me borrow his 08 K1200S while he drove my 335d. HOLY CRAP the K1200S is an amazing bike!! One issue he had with it was the transmisson slip so the dealership replaced the transmission with a K1300S one.

Im in the market to buy an 08 K1200S and see a couple on eBay from a dealership. I'm in Canada and these bikes are in the States, they are both still covered on warranty until Jun11.

Is there any questions or concerns I should be asking the dealership prior to buying a pre-owned K1200S.

One has 7,500 miles on it, the other has 1,000 (very low, so a litte concerning)

Cheers

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:45 pm
Noob

Hi Martin: I ride an 2008 k1200S. Mechanically it is sound. You will enjoy it tremendously. A call to your dealer will get you any known warranty or recall repairs. More recently there is a rear suspension dogbone recall which took 30 mins to replace. Make sure the software is updated. I verified the latter and added a BoosterPlug which eliminated the "stall" issue and I can ride down by 1k RPM at 10mph in stop-and-go traffic. I also replaced the shifter's nylon "bushing" (?) with ball bearings for an easier shift into neutral.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 6:43 am

Trading up

Just curious... with the ridiculous resale prices of used H-D's why aren't you going for a new K1300s ?:i If you get it without luggage you might even come out ahead in both cost and motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2010, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yellowjacket - Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind when I make an offer.

TrialsRider - My 04 is only worth around $12,000 and when I 'build my own' K1300S it comes out to $25,000. I can't talk the wife into letting me spend that kinda money on a bike lol. Maybe a pre-owned 09 K1300S might be reasonable.

Cheers
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 7:31 am
Addict

i would test drive any k1200s before i made any offer on one because i don't believe BMW ever solved the fueling issues that plagued the k1200s engines. i've also read of issues with guys from canada buying bikes in the US and then having issues registering the bikes in canada as well as canada BMW not honoring the warrenty for bikes bought in the US.

how does any k1300s cost 25 grand???? or is the 25 grand canadian dollars?? i've seen fully loaded k1300s's at the dealership for 18,000, i've seen loaded k1300GT's for less than 25 grand. good luck with your search
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:19 am
Rookie

Make sure the dealer has completed the front brake recall.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
how does any k1300s cost 25 grand???? or is the 25 grand canadian dollars??
Our dollar is at par with the US right now, if you are bored go to the Canadian BMW site and 'build your own' K1300S with half the bells and whistles.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/En/model.php?model=K1300S

I think the closest US BMW dealership to Vancouver, Canada is Ride West in Seattle, about 3 hours ride away. I know that the Canadian dealership wouldnt honour the warranty so hopefully anything that needs to be done can be done from there (as long as the bike would make it there.

So far I have heard that there are huge fuel system issues, read dog bone and now a front brake recall. Are these bikes prone to issues and should I be looking at something else?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:21 am
Addict

I'm on my 3rd BMW motorcycle since 2002 (all bought brand new) and one car (wife).

If there is nothing else I have learned since 2002 with BMWs, it is one thing....

NEVER own a BMW without a warranty, unless you are ready to absorb any repair bills.

I don't have time to work on my bikes much so I farm it out. Both of our BMWs are now under warranty and I plan to keep it that way

They are just expensive machines to keep up by nature, at least when something breaks.

For the travel I do there is none other however (I've looked/tryed them all and still bought what I wanted, a K1300S) so thats my plan.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:51 am

My 07 GT had some hesitation and once the mapping was updated by the dealer the bike ran flawlessly.

So - in my personal experience the mapping has been solved. I also have a k1200r with no hesitation.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 9:12 pm
Sheep

The economy has killed resale values on bikes, especially K13's. There a lot of K13 folks ready to jump onto the new inline 6's. You'd be "nuts" to even consider a K12 when '09 K13's are at such low prices and with more time left on warranty. Though they both develop near the same horsepower, the way the power is delivered on a K13 is superior... much better low and mid-range torque, less peaky than K12. Drive a K13 before you jump. This is not meant to flame K12 owners; it's just about the way BMW improved the K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode