Warm engine rattle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2010, 3:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Warm engine rattle

Hello and a belated happy Christmas everyone.

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem as my 05 K1200S - an engine rattle when the bike is warm?

She fires up a dream when cold (after the initial second or two of rattling while the oil gets up to pressure). However, when the engine has properly warmed up after a ride and I switch it off and then on again a few minutes later (after refuelling or popping to the shops) there's a 'bag of nails' rattle.

I assume it must stop at some point because I can't hear it when the bike is moving (due to the ahem, loud pipe, I have on) and when I get home and the bike is ticking over, the noise has gone.

So it doesn't happen at cold start up and when it does happen when warm, it stops after the bike is run. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:38 am
Enthusiast

Ear plugs.

KR Sport
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 2:16 pm
Veteran

Sounds like the hydraulic cam chain tensioner is losing oil pressure once warmed up and then getting pumped up again. Might be the check-valve in the oil filter losing pressure too. Our car had issues with a off-brand filter and would rattle like mad after an oil change. Put the factory filter on it and it stopped. Weird.

Personally, I'd be worried if the thing jumps a sprocket, but don't know what the best answer is. There is a new guide thing for the K44 series engines coming out as found elsewhere int this site. Might help a bit. Good luck.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 8:36 am
Addict

tensioner

My 05 rattled as well and I replaced the cam chain tensioner with the updated version.
It solved the issue. I believe there is a maximum of miles that your bike should have on it when making the change. Talk to your dealer, it's about a 20 minute part switch.

Here's a couple links of many threads on the subject:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...hain+tensioner

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...hain+tensioner

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50418

"Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the courtesy to thank her." W.C.F.

Last edited by tward; Jan 21st, 2011 at 8:53 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode