PC III USB Dyno results - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2011, 9:38 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
budcarrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 326
PC III USB Dyno results

I've had my PC III USB with Quick Shift installed for about a month now. I've been using a custom map from another I-BMW member that had the same bike configuration as my 2007 K-12-S; Stock with Remus Slip On. While the bike ran good, it's hard to tell if there are any real RWHP gains without using a Dyno. I expected this, and being anal, I wanted to document any real changes on a Dyno.

First I took my bike before I touched anything and had it Dyno'd. (Current software, new plugs, new stock air filters, new synthetic lubricant, Remus Slip On) I took it to an approved Dynojet Tuning Center and had a base Dyno run made. 153 RWHP and 87 ftlbs of Torque. I was pretty happy with that. (Dyno run attached)

Installed PCIIIUSB and Quick Shift using custom map from this site for similar bike. 152 RWHP, 88 ftlbs Torque. Bike felt pretty much the same to me, but I was loving the QS. (Dyno run attached. Combined with new custom map Dyno)

Took the bike to the best local tuner in Houston, TX. Mr Turbo. 160 RWHP, and 95 ftlbs Torque. Enough to FEEL the difference. Terry at Mr Turbo, who holds record for most HP bike at Daytona (489 RWHP), made the whole purchase of PC, QS, worth the money. My advice, for what it's worth, if you buy a PC go to the best tuner around and have a custom map made for your bike. I was charged $175 for the map and it was well worth the money spent. After spending $471 on the PC, QS, Shift rod, IMO, if you don't get a custom map and have a Dyno run, you'll never know if it gained HP or not.

$600 for 7-10 RWHP and another 7-8 ftlbs Torque? Worth it? IMO, yes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dyno base run 11-18-10 Remus slip on.pdf (262.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf Dyno Mr Turbo 1-10-11.pdf (156.6 KB, 71 views)
budcarrigan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 6:48 am
Noob
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 27
good info. I'm in the process of doing some add ons for my k13000s. remus slip on, k&n, and mapping, either pcv or 2 bros. juice box plus. I'm trying to find a dyno tuner around Columbus, Oh., but there doesn't seem to be any?

Tom

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray
mccmann is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 9:21 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
budcarrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 326
You might try looking on the PC website for the authorized tuning centers in your area. It's a place to start. Also check out the drag bikes around Columbus. A lot of the better tuners are associated with drag racing in some way. Maybe the local Busa club website?

FYI Unless you modify your airbox, the filters aren't going to help. They won't hurt, but they're not going to add anything. That information comes from a lot of sources including PC. IMO, put your money into a Quick Shift if you don't already have one, and using the best tuner you can find. The PC is useless without a custom tune.
budcarrigan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2011, 3:15 pm
Member
 
Beech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , ,
Posts: 70
Put my 09 K1300S on the dyno with a Remus Hexcone no baffle, premium Chevron fuel. 154.5 rear wheel HP. 150 with the baffle in. All the rest of the bike stock.
Beech is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 2:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
budcarrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
You might try looking on the PC website for the authorized tuning centers in your area. It's a place to start. Also check out the drag bikes around Columbus. A lot of the better tuners are associated with drag racing in some way. Maybe the local Busa club website?

FYI Unless you modify your airbox, the filters aren't going to help. They won't hurt, but they're not going to add anything. That information comes from a lot of sources including PC. IMO, put your money into a Quick Shift if you don't already have one, and using the best tuner you can find. The PC is useless without a custom tune.

BTW, I bought the Evoluzione race filters. What everyone told me was BS. As soon as I added the filters the bike started backfiring. Too lean. I added one button at mid range and two buttons at full range on the PC111. I know it needs a new map, but this is all I can do quickly. Air filters, especiall the Evoluzione race filters DO make a difference. How much will be determined by my next dyno run. I'm guessing 5 rwhp.
budcarrigan is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 4:37 pm
JCW
contributor
 
JCW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
BTW, I bought the Evoluzione race filters. What everyone told me was BS. As soon as I added the filters the bike started backfiring. Too lean. I added one button at mid range and two buttons at full range on the PC111. I know it needs a new map, but this is all I can do quickly. Air filters, especiall the Evoluzione race filters DO make a difference. How much will be determined by my next dyno run. I'm guessing 5 rwhp.
An airfilter will not change a/f ratios soo significantly as to make a well tuned engine start backfiring, IMO.

When are you backfiring? on closed throttle decel, full throttle accel, part throttle?

Are you backfiring through the intake or exhaust?

Did you replace the stock filters? Backfiring go away?


Just saying Evo's filters make a bike too lean without a dyno run and A/F ratios to back it up is as much BS as the bad info you claim you got. There are huindreds of KR, KS, KGT that have used the filters or similar without problems before you.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
JCW is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Addict
 
Sharkbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Posts: 461
Power Commanders aren't really known for increasing the top HP on K-bikes. What they do really well is cure the fueling problems down low. People will see HP gains in the mid range when tuned correctly. Had you run your pre dyno test with a zero map, you would have seen little if any gain up top.

A custom tune for your bike is money well spent. As you saw, a custom map from one bike doesn't work as expected for another bike.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
Sharkbait is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:39 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
budcarrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
An airfilter will not change a/f ratios soo significantly as to make a well tuned engine start backfiring, IMO.

When are you backfiring? on closed throttle decel, full throttle accel, part throttle?

Are you backfiring through the intake or exhaust?

Did you replace the stock filters? Backfiring go away?


Just saying Evo's filters make a bike too lean without a dyno run and A/F ratios to back it up is as much BS as the bad info you claim you got. There are huindreds of KR, KS, KGT that have used the filters or similar without problems before you.

Well, that's what I was led to believe too. PC and others all told me that filters wouldn't make that much of a difference. In my case at least, IMO, that wasn't true. When you do the install and hear the intake of new Evoluzione race filters it's pretty obvious that you're going to take in more air than before. So much so that I started getting backfires through the exhaust on the first run out of the box. (Throttle closed) Not so easy to replace the stock filters as the intake "tubes" had to be cut away to properly install the race filters. The Evoluzione filters are not only made from more breathable material, the installation opens up the intake by removing the stock air intake tube. IMO, it's way better. You're right though. Only a dyno run will show for sure. For now, I've just added fuel by using the buttons on the PC III. It works, and no backfiring. I don't have a dyno run, but I can stay with or pass a K1300S. Something I couldn't do before. My only regret is that I didn't install the filters before I had the custom tune. Would've saved me $175 that the second map is going to cost.
budcarrigan is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
budcarrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Power Commanders aren't really known for increasing the top HP on K-bikes. What they do really well is cure the fueling problems down low. People will see HP gains in the mid range when tuned correctly. Had you run your pre dyno test with a zero map, you would have seen little if any gain up top.

A custom tune for your bike is money well spent. As you saw, a custom map from one bike doesn't work as expected for another bike.
I did a base dyno run at NW Honda, and had it re-established at Mr Turbo. Both are posted on this thread. 153.86 rwhp with 87.39 ftlbs torque was my base before PC III. The only performance mod on the bike before the PC III was a Remus CF slip on.

Before the PC III my base dyno run was re-established at 152.5 and 87.9 by Mr Turbo. My PC III installed with custom map was 160 rwhp and 94.5 ftlbs torque. That was before the new filters. I'm interested to see what it shows now, and what it'll be after another custom map. I'm betting that I'll show another 3-5 rwhp when re-dyno'd.

I guess it depends on if you see 8 rwhp as significant. I do, and i know the bike runs better. The only negative is fuel economy has gone to ****.

BTW, I never had any low range problems that some seem to have. My bike ran great before any of this. It just runs better now. It's not just the dyno. It's real world riding with my group. I know the bike is faster than it was. I can tell by how it runs with those I ride with. That doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. This is just my experience.
budcarrigan is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:39 pm
Addict
 
Sharkbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
I did a base dyno run at NW Honda, and had it re-established at Mr Turbo. Both are posted on this thread. 153.86 rwhp with 87.39 ftlbs torque was my base before PC III. The only performance mod on the bike before the PC III was a Remus CF slip on.

Before the PC III my base dyno run was re-established at 152.5 and 87.9 by Mr Turbo. My PC III installed with custom map was 160 rwhp and 94.5 ftlbs torque. That was before the new filters. I'm interested to see what it shows now, and what it'll be after another custom map. I'm betting that I'll show another 3-5 rwhp when re-dyno'd.

I guess it depends on if you see 8 rwhp as significant. I do, and i know the bike runs better. The only negative is fuel economy has gone to ****.
I think you missed what I was saying about the zero run on the dyno. I saw the dyno runs you posted.
  • Your 1st run, pre PCIII, topped out at 138 MPH with the A/F set just under 13:1
  • Your 2nd run, post PCIII with a modified map topped out at 10K RPM with the A/F around 13.5:1
  • Your 3rd run, with a custom map topped out at 10K RPM with the A/F lowered back to just under 13:1

All the PCIII does on the K bike is alter the fueling. Before the PCIII you were making your top power with the A/F set just under 13:1. After the PCIII and custom map, you were making your top power with the A/F set just under 13:1 ... So how exactly did you gain 8 HP? I don't consider detuning the bike for your pre run and then putting it back a true gain. Mr Dyno got you back what the bad map was losing you.

I do believe that Mr Dyno got you some good gains in the mid range and that's what your feeling. It sounds like you were happy with the results and that's what counts.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
Sharkbait is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dyno GDS968 K12/1300R/R-Sport 20 Sep 21st, 2009 7:32 am
Dyno run raffyk K12/1300R/R-Sport 39 Mar 26th, 2008 12:19 pm
dyno day in so cal anyone? aznatama K12/1300R/R-Sport 5 Nov 10th, 2007 11:11 am
KR Dyno wac K12/1300R/R-Sport 8 Jun 11th, 2006 8:05 am
Dyno results turbo05 K12/1300S 18 Apr 4th, 2006 2:27 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome