K12S vs Honda VFR - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2011, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile K12S vs Honda VFR

I bought a new Honda 800 VFR last year and quite like it. I put a Corbin seat on it and a few other small items. I am interested in what you folks would say are the benefits of moving to a K12S. I am looking at a used 2008, with low miles. So if anyone could contribute to my knowledge, I would really appreciate it. I am really only interested in your comments about where the BMW would be better/worse. My usage is generally fast local riding and 2-3 long trips per year.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2011, 8:29 pm
JCW
contributor

Never ridden a VFR, but hear they are great bikes.

A K12S will probably immediately feel more powerful but sluggish compared to the Honda at first. The front end might feel vague and less communicative if you do any tight fast irresponsible riding. After time, though, you learn to trust the front end and I think it's a great platform.

But I'm biased.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:27 pm

I had a 99 VFR for 5 years and then a CBR1100XX for 2 years before I bought my 06 K1200S. The biggest difference you'll notice is all the additional power. It feels like a VFR on steroids. My 06 runs well but I would say the fuel injection on my Honda was better. The bikes sit almost exactly the same. The VFR was lighter handling but I think the stock suspension on the BMW is better, at least compared to my 99 VFR. I really like the anti-dive properties of the BMW front suspension.

I didn't mind chain maintenance but shaft drive is nice. The BMW bags are small but the mounting system is slick and not ugly with the bags off the bike.

Build quality is great on both bikes.

Generally speaking I would say the Honda probably has fewer reliability issues but my K1200S has been good. I'm at 48,700 miles right now and no problems.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2011, 11:39 am
Enthusiast

IMO, the posters thus far have understated the difference between a VFR 800 and a K-12-S. The performance difference is like going from jet power to warp drive. Any S will blow the fairing off a VFR 800. Some small mods will add even more. My 1200S has 160 RWHP and 95 ftlbs of Torque while weighing the same as a 97 RWHP VFR 800. All you're ever going to see of an S is the rear end riding a VFR.

Handling is great for a relatively heavy bike and long bike. BMW suspension, especially the ESA option, is very good. Ergo's are good, even for tall guys, and if you want to add bags, they're nice and waterproof. The K-S is a bigger and taller bike than the VFR even though they weigh about the same. You'll notice quite a bit of difference if your vertically challanged.

Please don't misunderstand. I think the VFR's are all great bikes, but, IMO, none of them, including the new 1200, compare favorably with the BMW K-S.

Buy one, ride it, and you'll agree. Try a 1300 with quick shift too. Very nice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 4:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

Thanks to the posts above. Good clarity.

James
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 11:34 pm
Noob

I figured I'd chime in here.

I have had 5 VFRs 85' 90' 93' 99' 07' and I loved them all. The 85' was my first motorcycle. I have also owned an 88 GSX-R(drag bike), 97 YZF1k, 98 SuperHawk, 99' SV650, 01' R1, 01' Busa Turbo(drag bike), 02 RC51, 03' Superhawk. I always seem to go back to the VFR. In 05' I sold my last bike. I thought I was done with riding. In 07' I realised I wasn't. When I made the decision in the spring of 08' to get another bike there was no question in my mind what it had to be. 07' RWB VFR. After the usual mods it made 102 RWHP with 55 RWTQ. I was pleased and we were happy together for a long time.

Then I saw a show on TV about BMW motorrad. I Never concidered one before. I Didn't even know they made a 4 cyl bike. A friend who owned a GS said I should go test ride a K bike. So I did. An 07 K1200S that the local dealer had. At this point I feel it necessary to add that the bike I test rode had 69k miles on it. Worn out in my mind at that time. I wondered why the dealer would put me on an old worn out bike for my first test ride of a BMW ever. Once I started riding it, I WAS SHOCKED. Comfort, speed, handeling, braking, Everything I asked it to do it did effortlessly at levels the VFR could not match. I found myself asking, If a bike with that many miles on it was that good, what would the NEW K1300S be like??? Suddenley it dawned on me why Peter put me on the this "old worn out bike".

I now have over 5k miles on my K1300S. Except for the occasions when my wife rides it, my VFR has been religated to garage art. My point to all this is that I have owned and riden a lot of different motorcycles over the years. I have had faster bikes, I have had better handeling bikes, But as far as the total package Comfort, handeling, power, and braking. The K1300S is by far my favorite. For me nothing else really comes close.

I will however admit, form time to time I do miss the rumble of the V4.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Addict

I was shocked at the most beeeautiful sound I ever heard up in MI once, early in the dark morning, commuting to work on my FZ1 when a honda V-4 went by...wow, don't have to tell me twice!!

it would be my other choice of a similar type of ride myself.

My K12S had 89k when I traded it in. I told them someone is going to get a hellofabike. It ran and rode faster and better than new (ok, the ohlins/PCIII/dyno'ed map didn't hurt any). And all the new parts (thanks BMW) that went south during warranty made the bike newer than it was (especially the updated tranny) at half the miles shown on the odo.

My K1200LT (02) ran the BEST, forever, when it got over 40k miles!! you could feel the difference and it just got better/smoother over time/miles, it had 135k when I totalled it, sniff.

I have to agree with the K1300S as well (what I traded in for). I have about 5k miles on it now and like it more every day. But hey, its also 5 model years later than my 06 so you have to expect some of that
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 8:42 am
Noob

Garage
I rode Honda"s since 1984 and wanted to trade my 2005 cbr1000rr for the vfr1200 but sad to say the vfr is ugly! So after some research and a test ride of a k1200s I was hooked!! I've only ridden it 1100 miles before the cold and work schedule change but I love it!! Just gotta get used to the longer wheel base because i'm used to some dragging knees type riding.Also if your in a sportbike crowd like I am....you'll stand out with the best bike and better warantty!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode