Just installed PCV, K&N, Remus Slip-On - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Just installed PCV, K&N, Remus Slip-On

2009 K1300S - Thanks to all who've offered their knowledge on how to do various things. It sure helped me in the installation of the Power Commander, and the Air Filters, as BMW is sure lacking in the how to department in their Owners Manual.
The Remus sounds and looks good. (Titanium with Carbon Fiber ends)
All I could do was start it, and listen to it, since my street was full of snow.

Tom

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 3:07 pm
Noob

Let us know how it feels when you get a chance to ride : )
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 9:05 am
Enthusiast

Did you have a tuner do a custom map for your PCV? Dyno results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2011, 8:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

No custom map yet, but I've talked to an authorized Power Commander Tuning Center, which is a little over 2 hrs from here, and I'll wait for a good day to ride up there and get it done, (Maiximum Performance and Handling). Too much snow and ice on the roads right now. I plan on getting it done as soon as I can, but am also anxious to try it out with the map that I downloaded from pc.

I'm also going to check what version of BMW's factory mapping that I have in. I know that they upgraded it at least once, and should probably start out with BMW's latest one,before I get the custom mapping done. I sure don't want to spend all this time, money and effort to do the dyno testing and custom mappin, and then later, have the dealer hook my bike up on the BMW computer and do their automatic mapping upgrade, which would screw up my custom map. I'll have to make sure the BMW mechanics know not to mess with any more mapping upgrades, once I've got custom mapping!

I reset my ecu today, so hopefully that will help. Disconnected battery for 24 hrs, reconnected, turned kill switch to off turned key on (not start) opened throttle wide open 3 times, turned kill switch on turned key off, then turned kill swithc off and started bike.

I'm going to get to try it out on the road as soon as the snow and ice melts, and the roads are dry. I'm dying to see how it feels! I want it to rain real hard too, in order to get all that salt off of the road too!

Last edited by mccmann; Feb 6th, 2011 at 9:35 pm.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2011, 1:58 pm
Enthusiast

I did not realize your ecu reset method did that. I know it is the method prescribed for recalibrating the throttle position switch on Brick Ks, but I didn't know it would work on the new bike as well. Learning something new every day...

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm also going to check what version of BMW's factory mapping that I have in. I know that they upgraded it at least once, and should probably start out with BMW's latest one,before I get the custom mapping done. I sure don't want to spend all this time, money and effort to do the dyno testing and custom mappin, and then later, have the dealer hook my bike up on the BMW computer and do their automatic mapping upgrade, which would screw up my custom map. I'll have to make sure the BMW mechanics know not to mess with any more mapping upgrades, once I've got custom mapping!!
I'm no expert, but from what I understand, once you plug the PC into the system all of the fuel mapping is done by PC. It makes no difference what BMW map is in your system. Try calling PC and asking the question. Not sure if the BMW dealer computer hook up will do anything to the PC map. It'll just show an error message that your O2 sensor is disconnected, and that the PC is present. (I think)

I made a couple mistakes with my PC installation. First, I listened to PC and others that told me that changing air filters would make NO difference. Not true. I just installed a pair of Evoluzione Race filters. My bike started backfiring from a too lean mixture. I adjusted the PC using the buttons, but now I'm not sure if my map is getting the best mixture. If you're considering any further mods, do them first. Then get the custom map. At between $175 and $200 a map, plus the inconvenience of getting it done, you only want to have to do it once. Expect fuel mileage to decline. I lost about 5-9 mpg.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
I'm no expert, but from what I understand, once you plug the PC into the system all of the fuel mapping is done by PC. It makes no difference what BMW map is in your system.
That's not exactly accurate. The PC modifies the signal it gets from the ECU. If the BMW map is modified, it will change the fueling even with the PC. Something to keep in mind if you get a custom map.

Using the buttons on the PC is a very crude adjustment. You will likely see better results if you load a map and tweak it where needed using a computer.

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2011, 12:12 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Using the buttons on the PC is a very crude adjustment. You will likely see better results if you load a map and tweak it where needed using a computer.
I thought about doing it that way, but didn't quite understand the process. I can bring up the table easy enough, but then what?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2011, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

[QUOTE=budcarrigan]I'm no expert, but from what I understand, once you plug the PC into the system all of the fuel mapping is done by PC. It makes no difference what BMW map is in your system. Try calling PC and asking the question. Not sure if the BMW dealer computer hook up will do anything to the PC map. It'll just show an error message that your O2 sensor is disconnected, and that the PC is present. (I think)

My understanding is that the Power Commander will adjust mixture from whatever the factory settings are. So it's either plus or minus in percentages from what is already programed. There were only 3 available maps to download from Power Commander, Zero Map which is no deviation from factory settings, Stock exhaust and stock filter, and Two Bros. slip on and stock filters.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Enthusiast

See Sheep's notes re the custom tune with Dyno on the PCV, he swears by it and is very happy.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode