K40 motor cam chain tensioner now 18K service item? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:30 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

K40 motor cam chain tensioner now 18K service item?

I just picked up my '08 K1200S from the dealer from its 36K mile service.

My intermittent clutch switch was not a warranty item, apparently. That was disappointing.

At the same time, my service writer kindly informed me that, starting with the next 18K service, BMW has added replacing the cam chain guide as part of the 18K service. I guess those cam chains jumping a tooth or two has got BMW thinking about other resolutions.

Anyone know if the K1300 also suffers from this "service item"?

He didn't have a price off the top of his head, but no way it'll be less than $200 for that addition since it involves digging deeper into the motor than the standard service. One of the reasons I got rid of my K1200RS was because the 18K service was so expensive. The K1200S' service is about $100 cheaper. Or was.

Mine's still running well (no cam chain rattle either, unlike many K1200S) and is the first BMW bike I've owned that doesn't use oil, so I'll probably just add the $$ into the budget for a few years, but I think BMW probably won't see me getting another one of their bikes if they keep up this BS. I'm surprisingly fired up about this, which means it'll still be a key consideration when I'm looking to replace this bike.

Rather than passing the costs to loyal customers, fix your screwed up design, BMW.

08 K1200S (Phreeooow)
06 Husqvarna TE610
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Veteran

I haven't heard a word on if the $6.93 piece of plastic is going to be part of the valve adjust/check. They don't have to pull the side clutch housing cover to do the valve check/adjust in the head and that plastic part needs the side cover pulled to get it over the lower cam chain sprocket.

Along with that, that are 17 aluminum one-time use screws and one other shorter size on mine. All the screws are about $2 each and then there's the overpriced $27 housing gasket too. The total for the parts is about $85 or so. It doesn't appear to be a hard job, maybe an hour at best and messy (you don't have to change the oil as you lose very little). I just bought all the stuff today and will do it this next week. I've been sort of afraid to fire it up and blow the engine apart. They told me they just rebuilt one that bent 12 valves.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode