First bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 12:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

First bike?

Ive been really looking at the K1300S lately. I am a new rider and have taken the MSR course. I have sat on a few bikes, but the one that feels the best on me is the k1300S... im a pretty tall rider and I want something that is sporty and good for distance. I am also looking at the F800st. Aside from the power, would the K1300s be a good first bike? I dont think I will invest in another bike if i get the 1300 because it will last me forever (hopefully). I tend to be a very conservative driver... even when driving fast cars I dont go beyond my ability or "show off". So should i get this beast, i would still try to be fairly conservative and not do anything too stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Rookie

I had taken a "break" from motorcycles for about 20 years and then got the bug again after riding my brothers K bike. Sat on a K1200S at the dealership and it just "felt right" for me. I bought a K1200R at Bob's sight unseen. It was big and scary and I almost regretted my purchase the first time I rode it. I got used to it after a bit and now, 5 years after, would never trade it. Love the power, handling, and seating position (it has a Corbin aftermarket seat) Good for 3-4 hours at a time. I tour with a set of Givi soft bags strapped on it. It has been reliable-enough for me. I am meticulus with maintenance and do not abuse the power it has or ride beyond my skills (age..60) I think you should consider this bike...to bad BMW does not import the K1300R into the United States, as I would think you might prefer that to the S....

panhard
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:20 pm
Enthusiast

I hate to discourage anyone from buying an excellent bike, but IMO the K1300S is way too much bike for a beginner. I know you said you're conservative, but the power of an S bike is intoxicating. If you don't need the power, then don't buy it. There are many other choices that are better suited to you. You said you were tall, like me. Take a look at the R1200R. Plenty of power and a big bike that's a lot more forgiving. There's nothing wrong with starting with a lower power bike and then moving to more horsepower if you feel the need. You're really gaining very little, if any, by trying to buy one bike that will LAST you for a long time. Much better to learn slow, and then go to fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the input. I am also looking at the f800st. Seems a bit more reasonable and lower maintenance than the K1300s.

There is 1 new 2010 model left (champagne color) with onboard computer, ABS, heated grips, center stand, luggage rack and saddlebag mounts. Its priced out the door a tad over $12000. Now, I have no idea if that is a great deal or if its average. I am sure in a few years I will be ready to move up to a K series. If that is true, do BMWs retain their value better than other bikes? If i dont wanna move up, then great I have a forever lasting bike.

Last edited by Sphincter; Apr 5th, 2011 at 4:37 pm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 9:15 am
Enthusiast

Don't count on a lot of value retintion. Especially in todays economy. IMO, you'd be better off to buy a slightly used model with low mileage. Most of the warranty will be remaining, and you may be able to find one with some costly accessories already added. Buying new is great, but not always the best choice.

Take your time. Look around, and demo as many bikes as possible. Most dealers will try to be helpful, but remember, they're trying to sell you a new bike. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Demo, demo, demo. Then, shop, shop, shop. Don't be in a hurry. EBay, Cycle Trader, and Craigs list are all good pricing sources.

I see on ebay a completed listing for an 07 f800st that sold for $3000. A 2010 with 2500 miles best offer was $9490, and an 08 that sold for $6599 with 8791 miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 6:02 pm
Enthusiast

I guess I have to agree with Bud on both the idea that the 1300S is not a beginner bike and that a used bike might be a better way to go. For a beginner, I would almost say get a reasonably well used but good condition bike recommended in say Cycleworld's best used bike stories. Get one cheap, learn to ride it to the limit at track days, and then once really comfortable on such a bike, you will be ready for the 1300S. It is truely a wonderful bike.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode