Crappy gas? Or a bug? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Crappy gas? Or a bug?

Riding down the road on my '06 K1200S the other day with half a tank indicated on the gas gauge...when I run out of gas. After a bucolic hike and a quick return with the truck, a splash of gas was all the bike needed to start-up (with the gas gauge still reading half full). The bike is at the shop at present with no verdict from the tech. I was wondering, am I the latest victim of shit gas? Or is this a common bug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2011, 6:13 pm
Veteran

If you have one of those fuel strips instead of a float, I'll vote the strip is bad. Mine has gone south about 3 times now. They did away with the thing in the new models like the S1000RR and the K1600GT/L too.

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Mack

I just got dinged for a Homeric carb cleaning bill on my old Black bird due to the crappy gas we have here in TX. So I was assuming the Beemer was also a victim. Unfortunately, there is no place left around here where I can buy real gas anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2011, 7:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

Update

The tech said it was a bad "strip" and not bad gas. When asked if it will happen again, he said: It could. When asked what I could do to prevent it he said: Start using your trip to double check the gas gauge. That's not exactly the most reassuring answer about a bike that is supposedly designed for long distance travel. I should just carry a lined stick to poke in the tank, maybe? Oh yeah, cost: $280.00

I rode my K100RS for nearly 16 years without this kind of grief. It seems that everytime I take my bike out I am worrying about some bug in the design. Tranny failure and cam failure used to be at the top of the list based on some of the horror stories I've read here...now running out of gas is in my worry box, too. Good grief.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2011, 3:58 pm
Noob

Sorry to hear that you like the rest of us K12S owners. I had watched the gas gauge go from half full down to empty within 15 miles and fortunately I was a block, downhill from a gas station. I was still frustrated. No recall though on the part though. The new strip should last 2-3 years and possibly more. BMW corporate claims it has to do withe alcohol or other additive in U.S. gas. I think it is is a cost saving yet bad design. BMW have gone back to the "old" but sturdier part.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2011, 7:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
Sorry to hear that you like the rest of us K12S owners. I had watched the gas gauge go from half full down to empty within 15 miles and fortunately I was a block, downhill from a gas station. I was still frustrated. No recall though on the part though. The new strip should last 2-3 years and possibly more. BMW corporate claims it has to do withe alcohol or other additive in U.S. gas. I think it is is a cost saving yet bad design. BMW have gone back to the "old" but sturdier part.
Can the "old but sturdier" part be retrofitted to "strip" equipped K1200S bikes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode